Beginners and Beyond

Do you have your "fastest" shoes? Or "slow" shoes you prefer less??? (Read 97 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Welp, ran *on the asphalt* with the Gel Lyte33's yesterday for a 4 mile tempo and was truly surprised at how well I performed in them.  I'm usually in the 8's unless at the track & yesteday's splits were:

8:01

7:23

7:24

7:38

I *felt* fast in them too.  Dunno if that means jack but I'm seriously considering wearing them for Saturday's race.  If they had Nike's flyknit uppers and less contours in the ball of the foot/toe area, that would be my race shoe for sure!!!

Randy

RabbitChaser

I only have two different set of shoes, trail shoes and road shoes. My road shoes are the Mizuno Wave Riders and I'm trying a new pair of trail shoes tonight. I had the Pearl Izumi Trail N2, but they don't seem to work for my longer runs. I feel fast/slow depending on the day I run, not the shoes I'm wearing.

LRB

Where is the wear on your shoes?  Mine used to be on the outer and back edge of the heel - with minimal on the small toe side near the front.

The wear you are describing is exactly what I find on my shoes, which as Randy has said, is the wear of a supinator.  SIAR has suggested I was a supinator as well after noticing my foot placement in race pics.

I am at a loss for why that is because if I take out the green Superfeet inserts I wear in my DST's, or run in a neutral shoe, my ITB will scream to high hell.

I suppose I could be a supinator with high arches, which exacerbate my ITB when they are not properly supported.

As for my heels, while there is a lot of wear there, I do not heel strike per se.  I believe the wear is a byproduct of my scraping the ground with my heel as opposed to striking with it, but who in the hell knows.

The one thing that I do know is if I run in a neutral shoe for any distance, or a light stability shoe for longer than 10 miles, my ass is headed to the bench.  When I wear pure stability shoes, I can run my ass off.