Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #140 (Read 29 times)

KCRuns

KC, does Chicago recommend that public transport only be used by essential personnel right now? That's been what Baltimore has asked, no clue if people have adhered to that.

They recommend it, but there's no way to enforce it as so many people here don't have cars and parking is expensive.  Use of the CTA and Metra is way down, so I think staying home helps in that regard.  Use will go up though as more businesses reopen next week and then we'll really see how it is.

bluerun

Super B****

I took public transportation today for the first time since mid-March. It was not a pleasant experience... but I’ll have to get used to it to go back to work.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

bluerun

Super B****

Bluerun, no way would I stretch a 1 mile TT to a 5k. I was ready to bail after 1/2 mile when I did a mile on Saturday.

I did bail! Hence the 5K 

chasing the impossible

onemile

I took public transportation today for the first time since mid-March. It was not a pleasant experience... but I’ll have to get used to it to go back to work.

When do you expect to go back to work?

bluerun

Super B****

When do you expect to go back to work?

Not until June for sure... our current stay at home order is until May 28. It may be extended again. I mean, I don’t actually WANT to go back to work, but I have even less of a desire to get furloughed because I do like getting paid. Besides, I need to be going to work in order to make use of my remaining sick and personal days and NOT go!

chasing the impossible

GinnyinPA

It seems like all the kids are bussed here, even when they live close to school. I watched a bus drive across the street to drop kids off at a trailer park that was directly across from the elementary school. The bus didn't go into the development, it just dropped kids off at the entrance, where parents were waiting. The road is busy, but not so busy that a crossing guard wouldn't be able to stop traffic for the half dozen kids that live there.

I ran 11.4 today. It was windy and warm.

onemile

As I was driving to meet RRP to run tonight it started raining and after 2 rainy runs and feeling pretty bad on them, by the time I got to his place I was ready to tell him to just do the run by himself and drive 30 min back home.  And also I wore a tank top because I thought it was going to be 55 but when I got downtown it was 45 and rainy and I didn't want to freeze my ass off.  But he talked me off the ledge and we ran the workout 

10 miles with 6x1km with 2 min rest and then 6x200m with 200m jog.  We've arrived to the point where we can't really run together for workouts anymore, he was well ahead of me the whole time (he averaged 5:38/mile for the 1ks and 6:04/mile avg for me) but we met up on the recoveries and it helped a lot just doing the same workout and both pushing it.

LRB

As I was driving to meet RRP to run tonight it started raining and after 2 rainy runs and feeling pretty bad on them, by the time I got to his place I was ready to tell him to just do the run by himself and drive 30 min back home.  And also I wore a tank top because I thought it was going to be 55 but when I got downtown it was 45 and rainy and I didn't want to freeze my ass off.  But he talked me off the ledge and we ran the workout 

10 miles with 6x1km with 2 min rest and then 6x200m with 200m jog.  We've arrived to the point where we can't really run together for workouts anymore, he was well ahead of me the whole time (he averaged 5:38/mile for the 1ks and 6:04/mile avg for me) but we met up on the recoveries and it helped a lot just doing the same workout and both pushing it.

When doing the Hansons' group speed workouts where there are usually 30 - 50 runners, people are all over the place once the warm up period ends. You have no idea what rep anyone is on and the course is littered with some people walking, others jogging and those running intervals. It's literally helter skelter. I understand the dejection but in all honesty that's how it is for all except the lucky few who train at similar paces.

onemile

When doing the Hansons' group speed workouts where there are usually 30 - 50 runners, people are all over the place once the warm up period ends. You have no idea what rep anyone is on and the course is littered with some people walking, others jogging and those running intervals. It's literally helter skelter. I understand the dejection but in all honesty that's how it is for all except the lucky few who train at similar paces.

it still beats doing the workout alone and left to my own devices I woulda skipped it altogether

Well, there aren't too many low wage employees at my company (in US Research division). The people here that take a train do so because of traffic, not because they don't have cars. We're also all getting paid fully through this and no one is required to physically go into work. There are entirely different "rules" for our different locations all over the world.

Pretty sure no one in Tokyo is driving!

Dave

San Diego district (2nd largest in CA!) has no buses AFAIK., except for things like field trips. DS's elementary is ~1.2 mi from our house. Everyone has to drive or walk to school (there are sidewalks everywhere). Part of why running in the morning is so treacherous! There are 8 elems, 2 MS and 1 HS within a 6 mile loop from my house. Some surrounding school districts have buses and you pay per kid per day, which is super weird to me.

That’s crazy.

Dave

I have zero plans to enter an airport again in 2020.

Once my company gives the green light, I’ll be traveling. It would not surprise me if it’s in a month.

Dave

sdWhiskers

Pretty sure no one in Tokyo is driving!

Ha!

We have locations in many different countries (sales, manufacturing, medical affairs, etc). Singapore switched to alternating shifts in Feb and I imagine no one drives there either.

sdWhiskers

Once my company gives the green light, I’ll be traveling. It would not surprise me if it’s in a month.

Hazing the new guy?

Hazing the new guy?

Ha, no I assume at some point they will lift the restriction and everyone will be.

Dave