Beginners and Beyond

Ass Draggin' Thursday (Read 34 times)

I tried the McMillan run club in the fall. It's kind of a mix between a plan & light coaching ($25/month). Unlike a lot of plans I've seen, his do build strength training in. Basically if you posted on the message boards, Greg McMillan would answer your questions.

I ultimately didn't think it was a good match for me. My easy runs tend to be WAY slower than what his calculators predict, so I felt pretty stressed in that I was never hitting any workout paces.

I remember that was an issue for you.  I've read his articles and some theoretical stuff he's got posted out there, and there are a couple of workouts he describes that I think sound absolutely spot on (pure misery, but super valuable training), but I don't love all his stuff.  I'm looking for something more one-on-one.

The pictures you posted! OMG, that gal's hair behind you tells the story!  That's some insane wind.  I love how focused you are.  You really did amazingly, especially considering how crazy that wind was.

onemile

I use the Hudson Elite coaching and my coach is Addie Bracy

http://www.hudsoneliteco.com/coaching/

It's super reasonable. $75/month. The fees go towards the team for racing.  You get a schedule on a weekly basis - and unlimited communication with your coach.  The best part is the huge variety of workouts - even after using them a couple years, there are still new workouts most weeks. The training makes sense to me  (unlike what I see from a lot of "coaches" people use) and Addie always wants feedback on how I am feeling before giving me the next week's schedule.  And if you get injured or take a few weeks off, they will prorate or just not charge you those months.

onemile

Exactly. I push myself a lot farther when coach writes something down vs when I try it on my own. I trust the process and do as I'm told

+1

bluerun

Super B****

I have paid a coach exactly once in my life.  Unsurprisingly, the race for which I was training (Tel Aviv 2014) is one I wound up running injured.  I don't need to pay for that, I can manage to get hurt perfectly fine on my own.  For free.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

RunningOnSand

LM, what are you looking for in a coach? As you've probably been able to see, there's millions of coaches out there. Some great, some not so great. I'm a "baby" coach (aka got my RRCA cert about 1.5 years ago, so not long ago in the grand scheme of things) and I hire my own coach, too, b/c I cannot coach myself. Mine is amazing--he's a PT, and a run coach, and is all about injury prevention (which, is a really huge deal for me w/my achilles injury--I have literally not dealt with a single thing since I hired him last May) and yet he pushes me like crazy. And he's really humble, positive, and responsive. Check out Trail Transformation and ask for Jake. He's seriously amazing (he just ran Boston last weekend as a "training run"--dude is wicked fast). Also very popular right now is McKirdy Trained, or you could go on the RRCA website and see if there's a coach local to you. Or if you want someone local I could reach out on my coach's page and see if there's anyone near you, if you want that.

Docket_Rocket

I know both of my coaches, so my finding mine is not a normal story.  I have great things about the Hanson Coaching, from onemile and from others.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

My coach is a retired collegiate coach - he and his wife started a running club when they retired, and coaching from him is just part of the club fee ($60/year). It's almost more of a partnership at this point - I know what works for me, he helps me tweak things.

I swam my first mile today! Big grin Not too shabby for the girl who didn't swim her first lap until January, and was still mildly afraid of drowning until like February.

onemile

I know both of my coaches, so my finding mine is not a normal story.  I have great things about the Hanson Coaching, from onemile and from others.

Do you mean Higdon?

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Do you mean Higdon?

LOL.  Hudson.  I knew I was fucking it up and got distracted with kitties that have not seen me for days....Sorry!

Don't get me started about Higdon.  I met him once.  He was catatonic, basically.  I almost thought he was a vegetable, he was just standing there without really seeing and understanding what we were saying.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Coastal

LM:  You could maybe approach some of your connections and see what they have to offer.  Maybe Ilana has an idea?

Onemile;  Thanks for the link - -I'm a Hudson fan.  That's a great price and I like that they're willing to work with injuries, etc...

Unscheduled rest day -- It was sunny and nice after too long just being wet and gray that I decided to go home instead of the Y and run on the road.  Only I looked at the grass in my yard and field and decided I'd better mow.