Beginners and Beyond

Week 17 Penguins Go Nuclear (04/21-04/28) (Read 13 times)

Docket_Rocket

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

OK, HopesMom, I remember!!!

Today in history: In 1952, an atomic test in Nevada became the first nuclear explosion shown on live network television as a 31-kiloton bomb was dropped from a B-50 Superfortress.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

3.2 this morning. My allergies are so fucking bad right now. :-/

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

I decided that instead of doing aerobics in the basement for xt I'd get a start on the garden by digging it up as best I can around existing plants. It has been a while since I've put any real effort into the garden, so I'll need to put in a bunch of new ones to replace plants that died while we were gone last year.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Ginny gardening sounds like nice cross training!

I did 4.1 this morning. I’m still struggling with allergies but I’m trying to make the best of it.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey, everybody, I'm back!!  Apparently my work world came screeching to a halt while I was gone, so I'm having to soothe panicked people and the plate of work I ignored for a week has now turned into an entire buffet.  Oh well.  I've heard that if you're indispensable at your job, you're not doing it right.  Clearly I am not doing it right.

But I did have a very nice week off.  I spent the first couple of days cleaning house, in preparation for my parents' visit.  Then they came and we did the whole shopping/sightseeing thing -- we went to the Virginia Science Museum, and even though it's really geared more as a hands-on kids' place, we played with the displays and petted the snakes and cheered for rat basketball anyway.  Cause that's how we roll!  I planted some free strawberry plants from a friend, and if they don't all die of transplant shock, I'll be surprised.  They look really pitiful and wilty.  And I made a cheesecake for my chorus officers' installation dinner on Thursday.  It's been a busy vacation!

Yoga and biking this morning, because I didn't do too much of that while I was off.  Biking wasn't bad, though it's getting warm in the morning.  Yoga, on the other hand, reminded me of every joint and muscle I own. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 miles tonight.

HopesMom, glad you're back!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Penguins go nuclear?  This is Tactical Nuclear Penguin.  It is a $150 bottle of beer.    Back I when I was a drinking man, I saw a bottle of this elusive beer in the beer store.  It was temping, but I ultimately passed on it.

<3

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow.  I would've passed too!  So many other ways to spend $150 ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

I've never heard of a $150 bottle of beer. I know some the of beer brewed by monks gets expensive, but that's ridiculous!

Welcome back HM. Given all the crises you had to deal with on your return, does that mean your assistant isn't working out?

D - I hope the 6 went well.

Jill- what do you take for your allergies? I've been using Flonase, but it doesn't seem to help much right now, with the overload of pollen, though sometimes it does.

I ran 5 this afternoon. Beautiful spring day, but windy, so breathing was hard.

Singer who runs a smidge

My assistant is actually working out fairly well, it's just that she's still new at this, and most of the crises were above her pay grade.  People asking specifics about their projects, or new projects, meetings I needed to schedule, and grant proposals I kind of round up for the department each year for a particular state grant.  That's the one sucking up most of my time, but it's ok.  It's about half done.

I did yoga today, though I nearly skipped it.  I had some mechanical issues with my bike yesterday that ended up with me hiking back out to my car towing my poor trike behind me.  It's an easily fixable problem, but I would've had to go back to the lab to get some tools -- and in hindsight, that might've been quicker and easier.  But I'm a bit stiff today from the walk, so I wanted to skip yoga, and also wanted to do it.  Smart won out over lazy for a change, and of course it was the better choice to hit the mat.

But no biking today due to a chorus thing tonight.  Plus I'd rather test out the fix in my neighborhood than on a busy road.  It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so I'll shoot for Saturday.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Busy day today as this is my last day of work until May 6 and I have a lot to finish!  Fortunately, I'm WFH today.  I have 5 miles tonight.

I would try that bottle but once in my life, lol.

Ginny, nice 5.

HopesMom, glad this assistant is working.  Enjoy chorus.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Ginny I’ve been taking Claritin which normally works pretty well. I missed a day though and got super congested. I’ve been back to it for a week or more now and I’m finally starting to get a handle on the allergies.

I did a very slow three miles this morning. I could have pushed harder but I was tired and not mentally pushing myself to maintain any real pace.

Singer who runs a smidge

So I totally bailed on yoga this morning and went back to sleep, and then I heartily applauded myself for that decision.  Unfortunately biking was cancelled today on account of rain, so today's basically an RD, even from the minimal stuff I do.  Oh well.

Chorus Installation Dinner was lovely, with lots of good food, and my entire cheesecake disappeared, except for one little piece left over for DH.  Woo-hoo!!

TGIF, Penguins!!

Docket_Rocket

I had yesterday off but I was running errands, packing and watching the new Avengers. Ran 5 last night and I am at the airport heading to meet some of my GF for my marathon.

Damaris

Fundraising Page