Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES are all about the weekend thaw (Read 34 times)

Docket_Rocket

3 miles outside. Didn't feel too bad and no coughing attacks.  Just more tiring than I expected.

Also, has everyone noticed that Strava gives 2 decimal places now!

I felt like that for weeks.  Just keep doing what you can.  The strength will come back. Hoping faster than me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunningOnSand

Okay people. you guys make sense with your race talk. Per your opinions, I'll push the pace a bit to see if that feels comfortable (or begins to feel comfortable by 1/3 of the way through) and hope for a massive PR!

Whiskers, hope you feel better soon. I've been stuck inside so I haven't been paying attention to Strava lately. But that's awesome.

Cyber, I still don't think I could be motivated to run super fast, ha! Not b/c I wouldn't be terrified (I would be) but b/c my legs probably wouldn't get the turnover fast enough. I'd fall on my face. Big grin

Ginny, good comparison for the HM and Marathon, and a running base and stamina. That makes a lot of sense.

workinprogress11

Yep! I-L-L!

I-N-I six and a half hours later!

Cyberic

Ginny, good comparison for the HM and Marathon, and a running base and stamina. That makes a lot of sense.

I agree, good post Ginny.

I've been thinking on what my take on racing is and here goes.

As Dave mentioned, it's difficult to decide at what pace to go out at right out of the gate. But I think more important is to be able to reassess this a couple of times in the race.

I used to stick to a predetermined preset pace calculated from my training, and I can do that (hold a pace), but at times it was too much and I broke. Worse feeling ever for me. And if you wait until you really break, it's just too late.

I now reassess my pace a few times. I go out at a good pace, so if it's a good day I can PR or whatever. Don't want to be cautious and create a deficit that you won't be able to overcome. So I go out at a good pace, and by about 1/4 th of the distance in, I start asking myself can I hold this for X more miles? And that's where knowing yourself comes in. The more you've put yourself in positions on both sides of the razor's edge, the more accurately you can answer that question. If necessary, I make minor adjustments. If you don't wait until you break, minor pace adjustments make a huuuge difference. So holding back 5secs/mile for a few miles can salvage your race. Again, you reassess after a little while? Can I go back to my original pace? Can I hold this new slower pace? Do I need to slow down some more? And if it's later in the race, the question is can I speed up and hold it? I think accurately answering these questions in-race is the most difficult part and crucial part of racing.

A plan is good, and being able to adjust it is great

onemile

Okay people. you guys make sense with your race talk. Per your opinions, I'll push the pace a bit to see if that feels comfortable (or begins to feel comfortable by 1/3 of the way through) and hope for a massive PR!

What I was actually trying to say is it might not feel comfortable early on but that doesn't mean you can't hold that pace.  By comfortable, I mean easy...you shouldn't be hurting off the bat, but you should feel like you're working... or maybe "comfortably hard".

RunningOnSand

I agree, good post Ginny.

I've been thinking on what my take on racing is and here goes.

As Dave mentioned, it's difficult to decide at what pace to go out at right out of the gate. But I think more important is to be able to reassess this a couple of times in the race.

I used to stick to a predetermined preset pace calculated from my training, and I can do that (hold a pace), but at times it was too much and I broke. Worse feeling ever for me. And if you wait until you really break, it's just too late.

I now reassess my pace a few times. I go out at a good pace, so if it's a good day I can PR or whatever. Don't want to be cautious and create a deficit that you won't be able to overcome. So I go out at a good pace, and by about 1/4 th of the distance in, I start asking myself can I hold this for X more miles? And that's where knowing yourself comes in. The more you've put yourself in positions on both sides of the razor's edge, the more accurately you can answer that question. If necessary, I make minor adjustments. If you don't wait until you break, minor pace adjustments make a huue difference. So holding back 5secs/mile for a few miles can salvage your race. Again, you reassess after a little while? Can I go back to my original pace? Can I hold this new slower pace? Do I need to slow down some more? And if it's later in the race, the question is can I speed up and hold it? I think accurately answering these questions in-race is the most difficult part and crucial part of racing.

A plan is good, and being able to adjust it is great

This. Yes. It makes a lot of sense. I think I was doing that for IMM—kept reassessing and such. I was grateful I somehow lucked out with my pace despite  my lack of experience. I’ll try this again for next weekend. Hoping it goes well.

RunningOnSand

What I was actually trying to say is it might not feel comfortable early on but that doesn't mean you can't hold that pace.  By comfortable, I mean easy...you shouldn't be hurting off the bat, but you should feel like you're working... or maybe "comfortably hard".

I think I understood what you meant, I just rephrased unclearly.🤪   Like on a scale of 1-10, maybe winning at a 6? I know the end should feel way harder. But the beginning shouldn’t feel hard.