Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: Heard it through the Grapevine (Read 31 times)

delicate flower

21.5 mile tempo bike ride done (4 x 8:00).  I hammered out 20.3 mph for my avg speed.  Sweet.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

6 with intervals. Was too lazy to put in in Garmin Connect first, so only did .1 mile instead of .12 (which is about 200m).

No more marathons

I decided for me, that counting steps would be less distracting than having to keep looking at my watch when running at max speed.

Yep, 37 left foot falls equals about 100 meters.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Ran the same 3.6 mile course tonight, except ran in reverse so I wouldn't race the two strava segments.

He's a leaker!

For some reason, it never occurred to me to only count one foot. 

Dave

No more marathons

For some reason, it never occurred to me to only count one foot. 

lol

He's a leaker!

Half Crazy K 2.0

I can't imagine counting that high when running. As a zone out, take my mind off things, I count up to 8 steps and then repeat. Somehow that seems to take my mind off it.

Cyberic

There may be no "wrong" way to do them, but this seems like the wrong way to do them. Isn't it?

Why is that? I always figured that the idea behind strides was to get your feet turning at high speed without stressing your body too much. If that is correct, then why would very long recoveries be "wrong"?  I know the way I do them is not the way people typically do them, but I figure I get the same results. If I don't, then I probably don't really get the idea behind strides. Oh, and by the way I do them during the run. I start them randomly on a stretch of road I find appealing. I accelerate, count 45 steps (15 secs) then decelerate to easy pace. I do another one when I find another appealingstretch of road Smile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I do my strides in seconds. I count 3 foot falls for 1 second (180/minute). So "1-2-1, 1-2-2, 1-2-3, 1-2-4,  1-2-5, and so on". I take huge recoveries when I do strides. Typically 1/2 mile or so.

Seems more like a very unusual fartlek run than strides. I think of strides as something to either finish off a workout  to get some pep and spring in my legs or as the end of my warm up in preparation for a race or a fast interval workout.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

Seems more like a very unusual fartlek run than strides. I think of strides as something to either finish off a workout  to get some pep and spring in my legs or as the end of my warm up in preparation for a race or a fast interval workout.

That is what I do then Smile

LRB

wrong thread.