Beginners and Beyond

Here they come...the resolutioners (Read 573 times)

AnnQ

January 1, 2000 I decided to lose those 35+ pounds, get fit and start running. Haven't stopped since.

My resolution was to be a year round outdoor runner (in Canada) and never join a gym. Mission accomplished.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

Cool  Way to go!  Here's hoping lots of them stick with it.  But at other times of day than our favorites...

Just B.S.

Does "gentlemens" hockey signify something?

Although I could turn it into a "gentlemen's club" joke, it is a serious question.  I know very little about hockey, except that I sort of understand icing.

In his league (guys 35+) it means no body checking or slapshots aimed above waist level.

Of course that didn't prevent him from having his nose broken in two places 2 years ago

from a puck to the face.

You know I wanted to say "man I told you to wear your face shield" but I just couldn't say

it to someone in so much pain.

xor

Im all about eating pizza with a bunch of naked guys. I will pass on the pepperoni

Docket_Rocket

My park is the same.  Full of walkers and runners that make it hard for one to do a workout.  Then, within 4-5 weeks, they go poof.  It usually coincides with the 80s weather but heck we're in the 80s right now so I'm not sure what excuse they will have.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I am dreading the gym already.  I try to go before work so January is not so bad, but there are still many more people than normal days.  The gym is already advertising all over the mall in which its located and the TV!! Oh well.  If it wasnt so dark out at 6 am I would just run outside!! Cant wait for some more daylight!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Just B.S.

Im all about eating pizza with a bunch of naked guys. I will pass on the pepperoni

I could tell that about you.

Shakedown Street

Speaking of packed locker rooms, it is that time of the year to encounter the dude that uses the blow dryer.

And I don't mean for his luscious head of hair.

i see that all the time...crotch, back hair, swim suits, wet sweaty workout clothes. That hairdryer at the gym gets a lot of ass.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

i see that all the time...crotch, back hair, swim suits, wet sweaty workout clothes. That hairdryer at the gym gets a lot of ass.

Ewwww, really??? So happy that this doesnt happen in the girls locker room!!! LOL

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

delicate flower

I am glad I usually hit the gym around 4:00.  The crowd isn't that bad during Resolutioner Season.  I'm also grateful that gym management doesn't care when I tie up a treadmill for two hours.  And no, I don't care if all the other treadmills are taken.  I'm staying on as long as I want.

<3

Little Blue

I was on the greenway today, there were no resolutioners to be seen.Smile

Come to think of it, there was hardly anyone out there at all.

RSX

If you ever come to Boston I will pass on having pizza.

RSX

I have been going to gyms for years, and never thought I would see anything new in terms of weird behavior. A few times in the last 2 months I have seen a morning regular bring her mom on Sundays. This woman is probably mid-60s and is apparently more of a germaphobe than I am as she does her machines with paper towels around the handles. 1 of those machines is one where you sit and pedal with your hands for cardio with the paper towels flopping as it spins.

happylily

I tend to be forgiving of the gym resolutioners, because I myself am such a poor resolutioner when it comes to other things (though I don't "resolution" on the first day of a new year, I "resolution" dozens of times, anytime during the year. For example: I will read more serious books every month. I will wash the humidity stains off the bathroom ceiling once a week. I will give my plants a shot of fertilizer every 2 weeks. I will eat more fresh vegetables every day... None of it ever sticks. It's pitiful. So I know what it feels to be a failed resolutioner... Please have pity on the poor people!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

The good thing about not belonging to a gym is not having to deal with resolutioners.

In transit, arriving on time. 

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Will they all find this forum?

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them