Beginners and Beyond

What's your favorite hip flexor stretch? (Read 74 times)

RSX

My favorite hf stretch is when my ART chiro does it for me. I'm not very good at stretching otherwise as I do weight machines for everything. My gym has a glute machine, that I use light weight for that stretches it great.

B-Plus

Lizard pose. As usual with yoga poses you may not look like the picture. Back knee can be on the ground, and elbows/forearms may not make it all the way down. But you'll feel your hips opening up.

That hurts so good.

Hip Redux

Interesting that you bring this up.  My back pain is always hand-in-hand with a psoas and iliac spasms, along with a lot of tightness in that area.   Which is probably why it's hard for me to do the version you say and also why I should do it.  I think I need to work up to it though because they are SO unhappy at the moment (massage scheduled for Monday, too).

Oski,

The only reason I'd opt out of doing the blocks on the floor is that if you do it between two chairs, you can increase the stretch between the upper torso and the quad.  Notice in the pic that the gal on the floor is still not even straight between her stomach and thigh.  They should be *at least* perfectly straight.

If you get yourself between two chairs and kneel you can control that better.  Keep your torso perfectly vertical and then stretch so that your thigh goes behind you so that it's *past* vertical creating more stretch.

Remember that the key hip flexor troublemaker is the iliopsoas (or "psoas") muscle.  It connects from your femur......in front of & thru your pelvis......and attaches to your spine.  Once you can picture that, you'll understand why you need to get your torso and thigh apart from each other.  Anything that leaves you bent forward at the waist will simply not stretch the psoas muscle.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Sorry about the pictures.  Any Mini picture posting tips?

Hip Redux

Sorry about the pictures.  Any Mini picture posting tips?

Are you working from a link?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Are you working from a link?

No, just a copy, paste from a picture I took with the Mini of what the PT gave me.

Hip Redux

No, just a copy, paste from a picture I took with the Mini of what the PT gave me.

Ohhh - I think you'll have to use something like tinypic.com to host the photo in that case.

tracilynn

I did that spiderman stretch and thought it wasnt that bad.  Then I realized she was on her elbows.  Zoiks.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

This looks like it should do the trick!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Hip Redux

You gonna come rescue me when I get stuck? lol

We did the one redrum mentioned earlier with the guy on the bed today at PT.  YIKES.

This looks like it should do the trick!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

That pose should stretch the hip flexor and psoas.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Zelanie

Gustav!!! We miss you!

Will run for scenery.

I'm still very, very confused by all of this.  It just doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps more pics of fit women in tight skimpy clothes might help ....  Or even just repeating the words "hip flexor stretch" .

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I'm still very, very confused by all of this.  It just doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps more pics of fit women in tight skimpy clothes might help ....  Or even just repeating the words "hip flexor stretch" .

Now, it's usually felt a little more toward the front of the pelvic girdle, but here you can see a nice young lady showing Chevy Chase where she might be feeling some hip flexor tension.  Chevy is doing his best to to observe any *SPECIFIC* areas this young lady might be feeling any pain.

Randy