Beginners and Beyond

2 Year Runniversary :) (Read 64 times)

Angelbethany

I'm off the grid in Northern Wisconsin at the lake house. It's beautiful and peaceful and snowy, with a cozy fire and comforting silence.  I realized this afternoon that today is my 2 year runniversary.  I celebrated by hopping out onto the big frozen lake and running for 3 miles.

I never would have thought that I would ever enjoy running or call myself a runner.  Never ran in high school, and only for the 1 mile PE tests everyone had to do before that. And I dreaded those!  I have exercize induced asthma, so that made it extra miserable.

I'm a nurse at a large ICU/Trauma center, and two years ago we had several young (20's) patients come in with cardiac complications with no other risk factors (they weren't overweight or smokers...etc). I decided that although I was doing things like yoga, I needed to get my butt in gear. So I did. Literally.

When I first started I couldn't run farther than the end of the block and back.  I was getting frustrated that I seemed to hit the 2 mile wall and couldn't get beyond that, so I searched online and found these forums. I have to say thank you to everyone for their kind advice that I now know probably repeats itself with every new runner who comes through. It really does make a difference. I also have come to love the community, and although I may not be a huge poster, I do read all the time.

Here I am, many 5k's, a little fewer 10k's, 2 20k's, and 5 HM's later- I have come to love running.  The first year I hated it.  HATED it.  But I loved the competition. After that, I started to like how I felt when I'd been running, and then one day it happened- I actually enjoyed my run. It's a completely selfish act- the time is completely mine and it buys me peace of mind that therapy couldn't solve. But it also gives me the community and the bond with my friends and boyfriend and the motivation to keep going.

So thanks to my friends, supporters, boyfriend, my co-workers who are probably all too sick and tired of hearing me talk about running and races and the handful of co-workers I have converted.  To many more years and miles to come......

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congrats!!! Happy runniversary!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

Pinktastic

Thanks for sharing your journey!!  I really enjoyed reading it!!  Congrats on celebrating 2 years of giving yourself such a great gift!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

delicate flower

HOORAY!!

<3

runmomto3boys

Happy runnerversary!  You have come so very far!!!  I am also a WI girl, by the way!

Mmmmm...beer

Congrats!!! Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

A great story!  Happy runniversary!

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Better I Leave

I'm off the grid in Northern Wisconsin at the lake house. It's beautiful and peaceful and snowy, with a cozy fire and comforting silence.  I realized this afternoon that today is my 2 year runniversary.  I celebrated by hopping out onto the big frozen lake and running for 3 miles.

I never would have thought that I would ever enjoy running or call myself a runner.  Never ran in high school, and only for the 1 mile PE tests everyone had to do before that. And I dreaded those!  I have exercize induced asthma, so that made it extra miserable.

I'm a nurse at a large ICU/Trauma center, and two years ago we had several young (20's) patients come in with cardiac complications with no other risk factors (they weren't overweight or smokers...etc). I decided that although I was doing things like yoga, I needed to get my butt in gear. So I did. Literally.

When I first started I couldn't run farther than the end of the block and back.  I was getting frustrated that I seemed to hit the 2 mile wall and couldn't get beyond that, so I searched online and found these forums. I have to say thank you to everyone for their kind advice that I now know probably repeats itself with every new runner who comes through. It really does make a difference. I also have come to love the community, and although I may not be a huge poster, I do read all the time.

Here I am, many 5k's, a little fewer 10k's, 2 20k's, and 5 HM's later- I have come to love running.  The first year I hated it.  HATED it.  But I loved the competition. After that, I started to like how I felt when I'd been running, and then one day it happened- I actually enjoyed my run. It's a completely selfish act- the time is completely mine and it buys me peace of mind that therapy couldn't solve. But it also gives me the community and the bond with my friends and boyfriend and the motivation to keep going.

So thanks to my friends, supporters, boyfriend, my co-workers who are probably all too sick and tired of hearing me talk about running and races and the handful of co-workers I have converted.  To many more years and miles to come......

This is so very wonderful/inspiring/motivating/heartwarming on so many levels I can't begin to describe. What a wonderful post!!! Keep on keepin' on Bethany. Smile

Butter Tart

Congratulations! Runniversaries are awesome -- I wish you many more to come.