Beginners and Beyond

Am I the only one that doesn't feel like racing since the bombings? (Read 201 times)

happylily

I think that Hilary is very competitive. But she suffered a trauma. She needs some emotional healing. In time, she'll be back to her old self. We get that you're excited about your race, Dizzy.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

Dizzy, I bagged my first intended BQ attempt because I'd been hurt months earlier.  I could probably have BQ'd in the race I'd intended because I was running again by the end of August and my intended BQ attempt was in November.  Instead, I paced Proofreader in finishing her first half marathon.  That was much more rewarding than any race I have run on my own.  Sometimes dude, it really isn't about racing and I'm about as competitive as it gets.  Why am I being reminded of you telling D she just needed to get mentally tough to get past her asthma?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I agree 100% with LTH.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

StepbyStep-SH

I can't say that it changed me, but Saturday I ran some with my friend who was there - she was just steps from the fence and a few yards back from the first bomb. She wasn't hurt, but after crossing the finish line, she was in shock and wandered the city for 3 hours in a daze before someone helped her get to a hospital for shock. She had no money with her, no phone, and the meeting place she had arranged with friends was in the area that was blocked off.

She is home now and physically OK, but still struggling with it. She is registered for NYC Marathon in November, and is debating whether to go. Her mom had planned to travel with her, but now doesn't want to. I think Deb will race some this summer. I think she is signed up for the half-marathon at Grandma's Marathon in June. But I'm pretty sure her heart isn't in it. And I don't blame her, or you.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Hilary, that experience was a lot worse for you than for anyone else here.

You will probably get back to your competitive self again, but it may take some time.  So don't worry about it if that time is not right now.  Run to make the most of each day you can, and the rest will fall back in line.

Dizzy, let's focus our meltdown efforts on your potentially being bit by a largemouth bass in the other thread.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Do whatever helps you. You'll know when/if you're ready. Enjoy what brings you peace in the meantime. I still felt like participating in the race I did last weekend, but it took on a whole different feel than other races. I didn't give a rat's ass about my time. I high-fived all the people I could. I thanked everyone I could. I was much more appreciative of the people this time around. We all process trauma and grief in our own ways, so do whatever is right and healthy for you, and know there are a lot of folks who are cheering you on whether you're running on your own or you're in a race.

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

Hilary, I think its perfectly normal to have any number of fears and hesitations after what you experienced.  Take care of yourself.  Races will always be there when you are read.

GC100k

I've had a couple acquaintances drop dead from heart attacks while running.  A couple others were killed by cars.  Those things I think about now and then and they might affect my decision making.

I had no personal connection to the Boston marathon bombings and so it doesn't affect me any more than the bombings in Iraq or the building collapse in Bangladesh: horrible things that happened to people I don't know.  I heard a guy on the radio that Tuesday making the analogy about how when his mom died he realized that his world was devastated but everyone else's went on as normal.  It's that way for those of you who were involved: don't feel bad about taking time to get through it and don't be offended that everyone else's world is unaffected.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hilary, I didn't have to face the trauma first hand like you did, but I spent an anxious afternoon that day knowing dozens of friends were there and waiting to hear from them that they were okay. I was able to use running as a relief from the tension once I knew they were all safe. My next race, the Bob Potts Marathon, has offered entrance to Boston runners who were unable to finish. One RW friend will be there raising money for the victims. While it keeps the event in mind, it also focuses on the community and the caring support runners have for one another. However you choose to proceed with running and racing, it will be right for you.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RSX

I don't blame you after all that you experienced. Regarding myself, I always look at %'s so am not worried if I am lucky enough to run Boston.

However regarding family members I'm not sure I want anyone at the finish for me in a large race. I think Boston will force people to come up with alternative meeting areas should cells be down. It drove me crazy trying to contact my brother (volunteer) and friends to check on them 2 weeks ago.

LRB

I had no personal connection to the Boston marathon bombings and so it doesn't affect me any more than the bombings in Iraq or the building collapse in Bangladesh: horrible things that happened to people I don't know.  I heard a guy on the radio that Tuesday making the analogy about how when his mom died he realized that his world was devastated but everyone else's went on as normal.  It's that way for those of you who were involved: don't feel bad about taking time to get through it and don't be offended that everyone else's world is unaffected.

That is pretty good GC.

I value life more than anything else in this world, so I do not differentiate in grief when one is taken whether it is at the Boston Marathon, or on a residential street in Tacoma Washington.

To me, the senseless taking of life is a tragedy whenever or wherever it happens.  That said, people are killed everyday, which is why I do not read the papers or watch the news anymore.  It gets to the point where even the senselessness is senseless.

Of course, if you were directly affected  by what happened in Boston in one way or another, such as Hilary or some of our group members who were there, or who live nearby, then that changes the dynamic and brings it closer to home.

But as in the analogy quoted above, life goes on.  Though with a heavier heart each time. 

Do what you need to do to make yourself right Hilary.  We all handle things differently, but none of us would look down on another for the way they handle things.

Nevrgivup

What everyone has said makes perfect sense as well as this.  I just want to be me again. I know it will just take some time.

That is pretty good GC.

I value life more than anything else in this world, so I do not differentiate in grief when one is taken whether it is at the Boston Marathon, or on a residential street in Tacoma Washington.

To me, the senseless taking of life is a tragedy whenever or wherever it happens.  That said, people are killed everyday, which is why I do not read the papers or watch the news anymore.  It gets to the point where even the senselessness is senseless.

Of course, if you were directly affected  by what happened in Boston in one way or another, such as Hilary or some of our group members who were there, or who live nearby, then that changes the dynamic and brings it closer to home.

But as in the analogy quoted above, life goes on.  Though with a heavier heart each time. 

Do what you need to do to make yourself right Hilary.  We all handle things differently, but none of us would look down on another for the way they handle things.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Docket_Rocket

It is understandable after what you went through.  Take your time.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

sirdizzy

I think that Hilary is very competitive. But she suffered a trauma. She needs some emotional healing. In time, she'll be back to her old self. We get that you're excited about your race, Dizzy.

Ok I clearly missed something, keep in mind I have been so busy training all I have been doing is posting my miles for like 2 months and not reading anything, I am gathering that she was personally effected by the bombings then because that wasn't stated in her initial post but I am reading between the lines.

I think if I knew someone or was part of the racing of Boston it might be an entirely different feel to how I responded to racing for awhile.  I might be like lets go out and do this for Boston or my loved ones or I might be its too close to home still I need more time hard to say.

Nevrgivup

Its alright Dizzy. I was volunteering in the medical tent at the bombings as a registered nurse and its been tough ever since. I saw and felt a lot of bad things that day that I just can't shake.

Ok I clearly missed something, keep in mind I have been so busy training all I have been doing is posting my miles for like 2 months and not reading anything, I am gathering that she was personally effected by the bombings then because that wasn't stated in her initial post but I am reading between the lines.

I think if I knew someone or was part of the racing of Boston it might be an entirely different feel to how I responded to racing for awhile.  I might be like lets go out and do this for Boston or my loved ones or I might be its too close to home still I need more time hard to say.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del.