Beginners and Beyond

HM Course Run 2 Weeks out Before Race (Read 50 times)

A local running store offers an official course run 15 days prior to the Georgia Publix Half Marathon.  Has anyone ever participated in a course run for HM prior to the race?  Your thoughts? Suggestion how I should approach it?  Thanks

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Sure, why not? As long as you're running it easy!

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

I would totally run it, just run it easy.  I really wanted to pre-run the course to my half this fall, but I couldn't due to crazy circumstances.  I think it would help me with the mental game and knowing where to expect hills, etc.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I ran the hell out of the RW Half course since I lived almost on top of it. I would say run it once, just so you know what to expect. I ran it wayyyyyy too many times and got sick of it before race day.

Just B.S.

My house is at the 25k mark of my local marathon route so I run it  everyday.  Actually running the route as

opposed to just "knowing" the route can be beneficial mentally, especially if you are somewhat anxious

about it.

I have done a 1/2 marathon 2 -3 weeks before several of my fulls without any problems. Just run it easy,

nice and relaxed and have fun and resist the urge to keep up with faster runners.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Not done it as a group run, but I have run all or more often parts of several local HM courses in training.

Plus running the race in previous years. I know what to expect from Publix, pain and evilness in the last 3 miles. Thats for durn sure.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Not done it as a group run, but I have run all or more often parts of several local HM courses in training.

Plus running the race in previous years. I know what to expect from Publix, pain and evilness in the last 3 miles. Thats for durn sure.

At least you could have added that there are lovely ladies of hot'lanta encouraging you the last three miles.  A little white lie would have been acceptable.  Smile

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

GinnyinPA

I ran the Chambersburg HM course last year, because I wanted to have some confidence in my ability to do the hills.  (It's notoriously hilly.) The run through went well, but I ended up injured a few days later so never got to run the race.  Still, I would do it again, just slower and not so close to the actual race.  It really helped my confidence.

RSX

I have lived near the Boston Marathon course most of my life (including 12 years on a dead end that led to it). You better believe I ran on that course as much as possible during my training especially the tougher parts and still do. I tell my friends doing it for the first time that it is like getting the answers to a test, that you just have to memorize.