Beginners and Beyond

Getting a Coach (Read 39 times)

No more marathons

Pretty much this.  I use the Hudson Elite coaching service. Hudson has his runners do track season and my coach (Addie Bracy) runs the 3000m steeplechase. In addition to 10ks and marathons.  My cost is $75/month and she actually does take my feedback and has a lot of experience to offer injury/other advice.  A few times I have neglected to enter comments about my workout and how I am feeling into my log and she will wait to give me the schedule until she emails and asks - it really is customized...

Do you submit your workout into something on the Hudson Elite web, or do they access your log in RA?

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Pfitz has plans for shorter distances as well (in his other book) and they have higher mileage ones along with lower.  Maybe read those as well and combine them if needed?

Thanks DR - hadn't thought about other Pfitz books.

My thoughts about using a coach are that I'm more likely to stick with a plan if I'm paying, and interacting with someone on a regular basis.

I know how easily I can talk myself out of a particular workout.  Smile

He's a leaker!

onemile

Do you submit your workout into something on the Hudson Elite web, or do they access your log in RA?

They use the log at FinalSurge.com to post your schedule. It automatically syncs from Garmin Connect (so you don't have to do anything to upload your runs to it) and then there is a place to put comments about each workout which gets emailed to your coach.

onemile

My thoughts about using a coach are that I'm more likely to stick with a plan if I'm paying, and interacting with someone on a regular basis.

I have to admit there have been many days where I only did my workout/run because I didn't want Addie to think I was a loser. 

onemile

Also, if you use the Hudson Elite coaching service, all of your coaching fees go toward paying for the Hudson athletes to travel and enter races, which is pretty cool.

http://www.hudsoneliteco.com/coaching/

No more marathons

Pretty much this.  I use the Hudson Elite coaching service. Hudson has his runners do track season and my coach (Addie Bracy) runs the 3000m steeplechase. In addition to 10ks and marathons.  My cost is $75/month and she actually does take my feedback and has a lot of experience to offer injury/other advice.  A few times I have neglected to enter comments about my workout and how I am feeling into my log and she will wait to give me the schedule until she emails and asks - it really is customized...

I've looked at the Hudson website and their info form.  I guess after you've submitted all that data they get back to you with payment info?

And they ask if anyone referred you.  Should I give them your name (JW - right?) - will you get any goodies as a result of a referral?

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

I have to admit there have been many days where I only did my workout/run because I didn't want Addie to think I was a loser. 

Yep - that's what it would take some days.  Smile

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Also, if you use the Hudson Elite coaching service, all of your coaching fees go toward paying for the Hudson athletes to travel and enter races, which is pretty cool.

http://www.hudsoneliteco.com/coaching/

That is cool.  I'll definitely consider this group.

My plan is to start something about 4 or 5 months out - so that would be January/February.  Damn, I might have to join a club to use the dreadmills.

He's a leaker!

onemile

I've looked at the Hudson website and their info form.  I guess after you've submitted all that data they get back to you with payment info?

And they ask if anyone referred you.  Should I give them your name (JW - right?) - will you get any goodies as a result of a referral?

They do their invoices via Paypal and just email them to you. And another nice thing is if you want to take off a month they just don't charge you and you can pick right back up by just emailing your coach and telling them. I did that in July when I wanted a training break.

Oh I would get a free month! I forgot about that.  Yes, feel free to put my name in!

Docket_Rocket

Me too!  Why do you think I have missed so many this year?  I need to get back to my coach.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page