Beginners and Beyond

If it's Tuesdailies, this must be Belgium. (Read 58 times)

LRB

Question about the bolded workout:  How long is the recovery between the intervals?  Also, a technical question; how do you keep track of runs like this using a garmin?  Do you just hit the lap button every time you make a change?  I'm afraid if I did that I'd have to do a lot of mental math to keep track of what pace I should be running for every interval.

We all have different views on this but recoveries for tempo paced intervals usually vary from 60 seconds to 2 minutes, although I sometimes will go as long as 2.5 minutes when I am running a new pace.

Generally speaking, the harder the pace the longer the recovery, unless you are really challenging yourself.

Most workouts can be programmed into your Garmin using the interval workout setting:

• Distance
    • Duration of said distance
    • Recovery
    • Number of reps
    • Warmup and cool down.
    LRB

What Garmin do you have? I have a 405 CX and either use the interval function on the watch or build the workout in Garmin Connect & transfer it to the watch. If the intervals are the same, I just use the interval workout function on the watch. For the w/u and c/d, the 405 doesn't give you indicators when a mile is up, so you have to just look at it. If you use the Garmin Connect, you could program it  exactly and then the watch will chime at each interval.

I think the recoveries are in the 2-4 minute range in the Hudson book. Mine's sitting upstairs and I am too cozy on the couch. I know the workout I modified last week was supposed to be 2 x 2 miles @ HM pace with 4 minutes recovery.

Good stuff. She could also go to DC Rainmakers site and find the review on her particular model.

Brilliant

What Garmin do you have? I have a 405 CX and either use the interval function on the watch or build the workout in Garmin Connect & transfer it to the watch. If the intervals are the same, I just use the interval workout function on the watch. For the w/u and c/d, the 405 doesn't give you indicators when a mile is up, so you have to just look at it. If you use the Garmin Connect, you could program it  exactly and then the watch will chime at each interval.

I think the recoveries are in the 2-4 minute range in the Hudson book. Mine's sitting upstairs and I am too cozy on the couch. I know the workout I modified last week was supposed to be 2 x 2 miles @ HM pace with 4 minutes recovery.

Bummer...I have the very basic 110 watch.  It only takes me a few seconds to stop & re-start a workout; that's what I currently do for tempo runs in between the warm-up and pace and cool-down.  But it would be a lot of stopping & re-starting with so many intervals.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Bummer...I have the very basic 110 watch.  It only takes me a few seconds to stop & re-start a workout; that's what I currently do for tempo runs in between the warm-up and pace and cool-down.  But it would be a lot of stopping & re-starting with so many intervals.

It looks like you can manipulate the autolap setting to an extent. So if you have it set to every mile, you could change it to 2 miles. Then if you wanted to do 2 x 2 miles, you would have chimes every 2 miles. Just hit hit the lap button during the recovery period and it should restart the 2 mile lap.

For the tempo workouts you are doing, you could hit the lap button instead of starting and restarting.

Brilliant

Good stuff. She could also go to DC Rainmakers site and find the review on her particular model.

Mine doesn't do anything fancy so I'm going to check out the website to see which TomTom models he recommends.  At the LA Marathon next week, TomTom is having a promotion - you can use one of their watches for free for 30 days, and then either mail it back or pay for it.  So I am going to try one out.

Brilliant

It looks like you can manipulate the autolap setting to an extent. So if you have it set to every mile, you could change it to 2 miles. Then if you wanted to do 2 x 2 miles, you would have chimes every 2 miles. Just hit hit the lap button during the recovery period and it should restart the 2 mile lap.

For the tempo workouts you are doing, you could hit the lap button instead of starting and restarting.

Ok, I'm going to have to play with this more.  When I hit the lap button, my view stays on total time.  I bet there's a way I can view the lap time instead of the total time.

cjones1

Ok, I'm going to have to play with this more.  When I hit the lap button, my view stays on total time.  I bet there's a way I can view the lap time instead of the total time.

I'll be interested if you figure this out. When I'm doing HM intervals, I just end up doing a 1 mile rest, which I know is too long, but makes it easier to track with the watch.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

B-Plus

Lauren mentioned in the Penguin daily that you all were discussing this here; I'm very interested in the topic since I want to focus on improving my half marathon starting next month.

Question about the bolded workout:  How long is the recovery between the intervals?  Also, a technical question; how do you keep track of runs like this using a garmin?  Do you just hit the lap button every time you make a change?  I'm afraid if I did that I'd have to do a lot of mental math to keep track of what pace I should be running for every interval.

I love those bolded ones, especially the 3 x 2mi. I've got that coming up this Thursday with .5 mile recoveries.

B-Plus

We all have different views on this but recoveries for tempo paced intervals usually vary from 60 seconds to 2 minutes, although I sometimes will go as long as 2.5 minutes when I am running a new pace.

I can't remember exactly, but doesn't Daniels say something like 1 min per 5 min of tempo running? Or thereabouts?

B-Plus

The plan is for 12 w/ 8 @ MP. I'm optimistic.

Done. I didn't kill it, but I hit all my paces.

workinprogress11

You all sure are a chatty bunch.

LRB and Omemile thanks for the good HM training intervals. I'm gonna steal them.

7 easy on the treadmill.

onemile

Interval workout on the treadmill. Plan called it a ladder, it was 1-2-3-2-1-2-3 minutes with 2 minutes rest between intervals. The minute was supposed to be the fastest pace (5k) then 10k and HM. Did them by effort instead. Maybe sometime soon I'll be able to actually run outside more frequently than once every 10 days.

Hey, I pretty much had the same workout tonight.

But mine was 1,2,3,2,1,2,3,2,1 with equal rest.  Ran the 5k segments at 6:27, 10k at 6:44, HM at 6:59. 8 miles total.

Docket_Rocket

I am so behind!  6 miles after Pilates and they sucked.  My lungs have officially congested until November. Blah.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page