Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday, October 12 (Read 39 times)

onemile

I ran 12 with

2 mile warm up
    10 x 1k with 2 min rest 
    1 mile cool down

The directions were "start a little conservative and cut down to 10k effort for the last few reps"... I ran the first few comfortably and the last few hard..

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes. When people crash & burn on their first marathon, it's seldom never due to insufficient carbs.

Damaris

delicate flower

Are you doing another triathlon event this year? Have you ever done those indoor ones?

No triathlons until next year, when I tentatively plan on doing four 70.3's.  This off season will look like last off season, with a lot of swimming, a lot of hard running, and a little bit of biking.  I want to be comfortably under 1:30 in the HM come spring.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say of things I am worried about if I do the marathon, carbo loading is not one of them. Saturday after Thanksgiving, gives me the ok to eat all the carbs.

I don't worry too much carb loading either.  I mean, I know carbs are essential, so my "carb load" for my marathon this past Saturday included eating an extra bagel and bunch of pretzels on both Thursday and Friday.  I think my in-race nutrition was spot on as well.  It took going through IM training to fully understand how important that is, as screwing up nutrition on that day can completely destroy your race.

<3

blah blah blah a plateful of pasta the night before the race blah blah blah

This is all I read. I figure I eat plenty of carbs anyway.

Dave

onemile

I take carb loading seriously and do the 3 day carb load and count the grams. I don't just use it as an excuse to pig out. I actually try to limit fat and protein so that I can get in all of the carbs without feeling stuffed or taking in a lot of extra calories. And it's kind of a chore.  But I figure why wouldn't you do something so simple that is scientifically proven to help when you've put in so much hard training already.  I've read about the Aussie carb load but like LRB I'm afraid to do any intensity, even short, the day before my marathon.

Cyberic

I don't do anything special for carb loading except eat pasta for supper the evening before. This year there were bacon bits, mushrooms and cream in the pasta, Real bacon cut in small pieces and cooked, not that chemical stuff in restaurants.

Actual carb loading would be too much of a hassle with a family.

Half Crazy K 2.0

4 easy. More like 1.7, stop for 5 minutes to be a good citizen and offer whatever help I could at a car wreck, then 2.3. Was ready to give the one lady my shirt (literally) to stop bleeding, thankfully someone else brought over a towel as I was getting ready to hand over my rather nice Nike top. Sort of ironic that I was taking required yearly self learning courses at work today--including emergency response (if you are second on the scene, make sure 911 is called) & standard precautions (aka hand washing/what to do when you are going to be exposed to bodily fluids). I don't work with patients, so I just kinda run through them. Guess there is some value after all.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I sometimes eat pasta the night before and sometimes a steak. I eat plenty of carbs during the week (and a shit ton of vegetables) to worry much about it.  The only time I did a carbo loading and added the grams, I had issues going to the bathroom for a week after so I think my normal carb levels are fine.

Damaris

I don't do anything special for carb loading except eat pasta for supper the evening before. This year there were bacon bits, mushrooms and cream in the pasta, Real bacon cut in small pieces and cooked, not that chemical stuff in restaurants.

Mine on Saturday night had chicken, shrimp, & sausage in a spicy marinara sauce. I call it the BQ pasta. Also had a BQ spinach salad.

Dave

Dave