Beginners and Beyond

Fall 2012 - Spring 2013 Race Season Report (cross posted on Trailer Trash) (Read 54 times)

BenTN

The plan was to do Lookout Mountain 50M in December and follow it with the Land Between the Lakes 50M in March. Since my closest trail is  a 90 minute drive each way to LBL, doing mountain trail races as training runs seemed like a good idea. I was not a Marathon Maniac and had never done more than one marathon or 60K in the Fall and one in the Spring. I did a couple of 22 milers (2 loops) and a couple of 33 mile (3 loops) training runs at LBL in August and early September.

9/22 - GA Jewel 35M - 7:50:36

Ran it with Greyrunner and we finished in the mid pack feeling strong. We took it easy going out and raced coming back. Some nice climbs and the rock garden was interesting. Recovered in a week and got a week of training before tapering for a week.

10/13 - Cumberland Trail 50K - 7:28:00

Another mid pack finish. Climbing cross mountain was intense, by far the hardest climbs I've done. I could not figure out how do the climbs easy, raced it and did not recover until it was time to taper.

11/18 - Flying Monkey Marathon (road but 3600+/3600-) 4:19:17.

I love this run in Nashville's Percy Warner Park. Knew pretty quickly this was not going to be the day to drop last years 4:04 PR to sub 4. I trained specifically for this run last year. Even running it easy, I did not recover until it was time to taper.

12/15 - Lookout Mountain 50M - 13:19:51

It was ugly but I got my first 50M under the 14 hour cut off, well and truly in the back of the pack. Thanks to Greyrunner who came to run me in after dark. I was having to hold my head up with one hand for the last few miles....did I mention it was ugly. Beautiful, tough course. This finished off my NB MT110's that I'd also worn at the Jewel and Cumberland. The out sole on the heel separated from the mid sole. RW replaced them as defective.

1/26 - Mountain Mist 50K - 7:36:21

The sharp and pointy rocks and mud were intense. I thought I'd seen a rock garden at the GA Jewel but nothing prepared me for this. Greyrunner had a great day and finished in 6:00 and a few seconds. I wanted to do it easy as a training run but needed a better rock plate than my NB MT1010's. I ordered Montrail MM's the next day. I did recover more quickly.

2/16 - Black Warrior 50K - 7:10:20

It was a very, very muddy run. Ran it easy as a training run and recovered quickly. Wore the MMM's to test them out but there weren't any rocks, just mud.

3/09 - Land Between the Lakes 50M - 11:16:25

It was a beautiful day at LBL, great conditions with no mud. I made the cut off at the end of the 3rd loop with about 15 minutes to spare and headed out on the forth loop determined to finish but not caring if I beat the soft eleven hour cut off or not. (They always keep the clock going for everyone who makes the 3rd loop cut off to finish.) There were finishers 30 minutes behind me. Wore the MMM's and my feet did feel much better the next day than after Lookout.

After I recover, I'll concentrate on speed work for 5K season. Then get a little mountain trail time at Twisted Ankle marathon (5/18) before the Chattanooga Stage Race on 6/14 , 15 & 16.

LRB

That's an impressive group of events you have there!  If I ever run anything longer than 26.2 miles, it'll be because the course was long lol!

And I was going to ask, but I think I can figure out why the Twisted Ankle Marathon in your siggy is called twisted ankle.  Be careful at that thing!

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

That's some major running, Ben. Wow!

There's a chance that I saw you at the Lookout Mountain 50m - We had the Wauhatchie Trail run at the Chattanooga Nature Center the same day, and I believe that the two runs cross paths once or twice. I was playing photographer for this one, so if you saw me, I was carrying a camera and a backpack.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Docket_Rocket

Great season, Ben!  I might see you at Twisted Ankle depending on what happens with the sequester and budget.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

BenTN

That's some major running, Ben. Wow!

There's a chance that I saw you at the Lookout Mountain 50m - We had the Wauhatchie Trail run at the Chattanooga Nature Center the same day, and I believe that the two runs cross paths once or twice. I was playing photographer for this one, so if you saw me, I was carrying a camera and a backpack.

Tom,

I don't remember a camera and backpack. I thought the other racers we crossed were doing the 10K.

It depends on where the paths crossed, early in the day I looked like a balding 56 y/o, after dark more like an 80 y/o.

BenTN

Great season, Ben!  I might see you at Twisted Ankle depending on what happens with the sequester and budget.

That would be GREAT! Hope it works out!

PS: I also hope you are having a great day in LA today!

Ben

tinman11

Ben, this is good stuff.  My neighbor was just asking how I could run 3 marathons over a 6 month time frame!

I need to show him your race report.

I was just out for an 8 mile run thinking I need to start putting in more miles on the trails at ESNP, Tanasi, Racoon Mt, Lookout Mt, etc...

I noticed that the Twisted Ankle & Scenic City Trail Marathons are both on the same day.

How did you end up picking Twisted Ankle over Scenic City - more climbing?

Not sure how you guys pull it off on the trails but it's very impressive.  I'm trying to build up my distance out there.  So far my longest trail run was around 10 miles.  Not sure if I'm ready for a trail marathon yet, but it sure is intriguing.

I'd love to hear any tips you have for road runners adding in trail miles.  I'm pretty good about slowing the pace, but a 6-8 miler on trails feels like a 13-16 miler road running at race pace.  I suppose I would get over this if I ran trails enough......

Back to your report.  That's just incredible.  You've been putting in some work these past 7 - 8 months for sure!

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Tom,

I don't remember a camera and backpack. I thought the other racers we crossed were doing the 10K.

It depends on where the paths crossed, early in the day I looked like a balding 56 y/o, after dark more like an 80 y/o.

That's OK - my specific post was not in an area where the two events' paths coincided. Although later in the run, I went "mobile" and did meet a couple of people running the "big" race. Ours was a 6.7 mile event, just a bit more than a 10K, but for all practical purposes, it was a 10K. It covers the trails along Lookout Mountain that fall within the jurisdiction of the Chattanooga Nature Center.

I'd like to run it this year, but as it stands now, I'll be working that weekend.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

tinman11

That's OK - my specific post was not in an area where the two events' paths coincided. Although later in the run, I went "mobile" and did meet a couple of people running the "big" race. Ours was a 6.7 mile event, just a bit more than a 10K, but for all practical purposes, it was a 10K. It covers the trails along Lookout Mountain that fall within the jurisdiction of the Chattanooga Nature Center.

I'd like to run it this year, but as it stands now, I'll be working that weekend.

Tom, that's cool that you ran that race.  I should have been there.  Not sure where I was.

I know I had just wrapped up 6 races in a 7 week period - two of which were the 7 Bridges & Chickamauga Battlefield, 20 days apart.  I may have been due for a day off with my wife I guess...............maybe I was mall walking.

Well, it never gets that bad since she's a hardcore climber, paddler, and mountain biker.  But still, after reading Ben's RR, I feel like a mall walker.  I need to check into some of these local trail races.

Love the Half

That's a hell of a lot of racing.  Wow.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

BenTN

I noticed that the Twisted Ankle & Scenic City Trail Marathons are both on the same day.

How did you end up picking Twisted Ankle over Scenic City - more climbing?

I forgot about Scenic City when I was thinking about running that weekend. I'd looked at it around the first of the year but at that time I wasn't planning to do anything but 5k's between LBL and the stage race. Then some friends were planning to do Twisted Ankle and I thought it would fit.

Not sure how you guys pull it off on the trails but it's very impressive.  I'm trying to build up my distance out there.  So far my longest trail run was around 10 miles.  Not sure if I'm ready for a trail marathon yet, but it sure is intriguing.

I'd love to hear any tips you have for road runners adding in trail miles.  I'm pretty good about slowing the pace, but a 6-8 miler on trails feels like a 13-16 miler road running at race pace.  I suppose I would get over this if I ran trails enough......

Build your time vs miles and hit the trails as often as you can. When you're building mileage you might want to have two goals. One that you are confident you can run then past that point give yourself permission to walk as much as you have too. Next time you'll be able to run a little more and walk less.

Running long on roads has limited value in a long trail race. When you get tired on roads you can shuffle your feet, do that on trail and you face plant.

It's a 90 minute drive each way to my closest trails, I only go for long runs about every other week. I'd go more often if they were closer. I'm not much of a trail runner due to location it's just what I enjoy. There are real trail runners in the Trailer trash and trail runner groups that can better answer your questions. I used to live in Bristol, TN and had 20+ miles of single track trails in Steele Creek Park a mile from the house. I miss it. 

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Wow, that's quite a race schedule you have there!  Just figuring out how to plan your training and tapering is a feat all by itself.  Congrats on doing your first 50 miler at Lookout.  That's interesting that you got some new footwear midway through...I can see how a rock plate would be necessary on some of the more technical stuff.  Awesome job at Land Between too...making those cutoffs is no joke, and definitely an accomplishment.  Switching up to 5k training will be a big change, but I'm sure you're looking forward to it.  Good luck with the training and racing.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

BenTN

Wow, that's quite a race schedule you have there!  Just figuring out how to plan your training and tapering is a feat all by itself.  Congrats on doing your first 50 miler at Lookout.  That's interesting that you got some new footwear midway through...I can see how a rock plate would be necessary on some of the more technical stuff.  Awesome job at Land Between too...making those cutoffs is no joke, and definitely an accomplishment.  Switching up to 5k training will be a big change, but I'm sure you're looking forward to it.  Good luck with the training and racing.

SIR,

Thanks, Planning the training and tapering was very easy. However, the plan went out the window after Cumberland Trail. I just listened to my body and trained when I was able. I'd always recovered quickly after races at least for a 56 y/o but the cumulative fatigue was different.

To be clear, I loved the MT110's but the heel should not have separated after only 116 miles. I sent pic's and told the history to both NB and the warehouse. They both offered to replace them as defective. Excellent customer service.

The MT1010's have a thin flexible rock plate but I don't think it was designed for Mountain Mist.

Looking at your PR's, I don't think you'd have any problems making the cut off at LBL.

Daniel's 5 to 15K here I come...maybe next week.

Ben