Beginners and Beyond

Where do you run when its dark? (Read 479 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Where do you run when its dark?

Ummm..in the dark, of course! Wink

Actually, since I am retired military, I have quite safe places to run when it's dark, I usually just go do my run on one of the 4 military bases we have here in San Antonio.  The bases have well-lighted streets and are also patrolled quite well by the military police, so they are usually pretty safe areas in which to run.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome stuff. Thanks again everyone. My biggest concern with the streets I run on has been the snow piled up on either side. In the event of a car coming, me jumping off the road would result in being knee deep in snow. Thankfully the temps are warming up this week and should bring on a decent thaw.

Oh, and thanks to freesoul and mrnamtor, I always appreciate your humor.

No thread is worth reading unless there is at least a couple posts about something sexual Big grin

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

I actually feel safer running in the dark.  I don't trust drivers to see me day or night.  At least at night there are fewer of them on the road to deal with.  I always give cars the right of way.  When it is dark everyone has headlights on and it also tends to be quieter.  So I can see and hear every car in advance.  The gray hours before sunrise and after sunset freak me out.  Still lots of traffic on the roads and not too many headlights and the drivers just seem less aware.

The one thing I don't like about running in the dark is lack of visibility for where my feet land.  I have good roads and sidewalks on most of my routes.  But one run was very poorly lit and the sidewalk had one upturned segment. My foot hit it hard at just the right point in my stride and I did a faceplant onto the concrete.  Luckily my knee and shoulder took the brunt of it before my face hit.  I laid there for a bit then finished the run, not sure how bloody I was because hey it was dark.

I just got a red blinky for Christmas that I use occasionally.  I only turn it on in areas that I feel more vulnerable.

I don't know how any of you deal with ice and snow.  Luckily the worst I've had is slippery sidewalks from mud when running in the rain.  They should make little snow chains that you can strap on the bottom of your shoes Smile.  Oooh, I'm gonna be rich!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I actually feel safer running in the dark.  I don't trust drivers to see me day or night.  At least at night there are fewer of them on the road to deal with.  I always give cars the right of way.  When it is dark everyone has headlights on and it also tends to be quieter.  So I can see and hear every car in advance.  The gray hours before sunrise and after sunset freak me out.  Still lots of traffic on the roads and not too many headlights and the drivers just seem less aware.

The one thing I don't like about running in the dark is lack of visibility for where my feet land.  I have good roads and sidewalks on most of my routes.  But one run was very poorly lit and the sidewalk had one upturned segment. My foot hit it hard at just the right point in my stride and I did a faceplant onto the concrete.  Luckily my knee and shoulder took the brunt of it before my face hit.  I laid there for a bit then finished the run, not sure how bloody I was because hey it was dark.

I just got a red blinky for Christmas that I use occasionally.  I only turn it on in areas that I feel more vulnerable.

I don't know how any of you deal with ice and snow.  Luckily the worst I've had is slippery sidewalks from mud when running in the rain.  They should make little snow chains that you can strap on the bottom of your shoes Smile.  Oooh, I'm gonna be rich!

I love running between midnight and 4 a.m, the world is completely silent except for maybe 2 or 3 cars over an hour. I do carry pepper spray and a knuckle light though, I don't always have the light on because it is just peaceful AND I sometimes feel like the light is just giving me away to any would be attacker.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

I don't change my running locations (either Central Park or Riveside Park) when it's dark out. I do try to wear either a vest or very light/neon clothing, but Central Park in particular is very well lit and it's not an issue.

Buelligan

Where do you run when its dark?

Ummm..in the dark, of course! Wink

Actually, since I am retired military, I have quite safe places to run when it's dark, I usually just go do my run on one of the 4 military bases we have here in San Antonio.  The bases have well-lighted streets and are also patrolled quite well by the military police, so they are usually pretty safe areas in which to run.

The riverwalk I run on enters a military base in my town.  You have to run through the most desolate portion of the trail to get into the compound.  The asphalt path eventually winds through the housing areas and ends smack dab in the middle of post.   I only use this part of the riverwalk on long runs over 11 miles.  It's the one place where cars automatically stop on crosswalks if they see runners or pedestrians.  It's apparently a rule on post.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Where do I run when it's dark?  Right down the middle of the road with a million candle power flash light.

Ain't nobody missing seeing me.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.