Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Get Away 5K (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO   

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:      http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%2013%20Get%20Away%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 13th race of 2017 was the Get Away 5K (www.getaway5K.com) on Feb 26, held at Wheatley Heights, a sports/activity complex in San Antonio.  There was also a 1-mile walk and a kids run.   Put on by Corrigan Sports in multiple cities at various dates, this event is a ‘beach themed’ event designed with a ‘family atmosphere”.  All participants receive an event shirt and all 5K finishers receive a specially designed finisher’s medal.  This was the company’s inaugural event for the San Antonio area.  The big sponsor for the many Get Away 5Ks is AARP.

I picked up my packet the day before the race.  Nice quality tee, modeled her by my wife.

photo 102_zpsvo97ymib.jpg

photo 103_zpsvk7adepl.jpg

8:30 a.m. start for this one so, as I live quite close to Wheatley Heights got to sleep in a little.  Arrived with about 45 minutes to start time and wandered around taking some random photos.

Welcome to the Get Away 5K

photo 065_zps584uq0mt.jpg

Me, with friend, Karen.  Darn, she didn't have any dog treats in her pocket....

photo 003_zpslxzzpnra.jpg

photo 004_zpskw0tm3bu.jpg

With one of my 'running crushes"...the lovely Daisy

photo 006_zpstx9ksa3q.jpg

Two Scotts...Scotty Dogg and Scott Wood of Athlete Guild, that did the course setup, timing, results...

photo 018_zpswudmfqhm.jpg

A photo of an official photographer from San Antonio Current, a local/community news journal

photo 008_zps1gmy4lqc.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, supporters, et al

photo 001_zpsaa33gstn.jpg

photo 002_zpsilu0xinn.jpg

photo 009_zpsgndfdtbt.jpg

photo 010_zpsy43eomic.jpg

photo 011_zpsoxwzmrgd.jpg

photo 012_zpsoipzaky0.jpg

photo 013_zpswraswvyu.jpg

photo 014_zpsstj340m2.jpg

photo 016_zpsd4u5lxfw.jpg

photo 019_zpstzyvjvpq.jpg

photo 020_zps1xfh3wia.jpg

photo 021_zpspcz6eslt.jpg

photo 022_zps4rcqz9jy.jpg

photo 023_zpsbshdx10r.jpg

photo 024_zpsl1ggpgtn.jpg

In the start area...

photo 025_zpsebvhgqk6.jpg

photo 026_zpsrfkveu1q.jpg

photo 027_zpsjusp4tmw.jpg

photo 028_zpsrp2q959s.jpg

photo 029_zpsthwfapa3.jpg

ON THE COURSE

As usual, Mother Nature was on another roll with the crazy Texas weather thing.  We were in the 70s and 80s most of the work week and then the temp dropped for the weekend.  For this race, temp around start time was about 52 degrees – not too bad at all – and no wind, thankfully; also very cloudy/overcast, and a bit humid, but at least Sunday’s predicted rain for us had not moved into the area yet, so it was dry. Course was on paved off-road trails that are part of San Antonio’s Greenway System, which interconnects a lot of local area parks together, making for some really good hiking, walking, running, and biking.  You can go a long way on these trails!  There was nothing you could really call a hill on this course, just a few up-and-down inclines.  Also, one thing I liked about this course:  unlike most events done at Wheatley, we did not start on the stadium track and loop around the track. Instead we started just outside the stadium and went right onto the trails. This meant we were on the trail a bit longer so got to see a bit more of the trail than we usually do when the start is inside the stadium.  I liked this course much better than the usual ‘stadium start-and-finish” course, and hope more local race directors use this course.

After doing a 5K the day before this one, I was still feeling pretty good. Did my usual 8-min run/2 min walk thing, and ran the last 1.2 miles in nonstop.  Ended up with a chip time of 32:27, 11 seconds faster than my Saturday 5K.   As this was a fairly small event – 151 finishers – no age group awards; the top 3 male and female finishers did get awards.  All 5K participants did get a nice finisher medal, a souvenir of this inaugural race.

photo 030_zpsrthlvbwx.jpg

photo 032_zpsefv0dtw7.jpg

photo 033_zps26n7xhhq.jpg

photo 034_zpsh9lyv986.jpg

photo 035_zpshuk5dqkq.jpg

photo 036_zpsn4kfbldp.jpg

photo 038_zpso1xz0wf2.jpg

photo 039_zpsa6mrx5kw.jpg

photo 040_zps6o4aupfy.jpg

I have made the turn around and am heading back to the start/finish area now

photo 041_zpsl6uorofl.jpg

photo 042_zps5ix9anbs.jpg

photo 043_zps4gslzitd.jpg

These two were moving quick, they blurred my photo..  it was not my lousy camera skills! OK, yes it was... 

photo 044_zpsryzrxdsw.jpg

photo 045_zpska9awjiw.jpg

photo 046_zpsml0acmed.jpg

photo 047_zps5gfmuwmr.jpg

photo 048_zpstyinj5cn.jpg

After that last stop...1.2 miles nonstop back to the finish.  After I crossed the finish line, I got a few photos of some other people coming in..

photo 049_zpszlv7voio.jpg

photo 057_zpsaxj7as2t.jpg

photo 058_zpsefvhjdsh.jpg

photo 063_zps8ctabun6.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

I will tell you what, these Get-Away folks know what the heck they are doing.  Really nice after-party.  Kind of reminded me of the local Scallywompus events of my friend, Bart Childers, there was so much going on....

Live music

photo 073_zpsmazfos8g.jpg

photo 084_zpsgjsxallu.jpg

A taco truck giving away 2 free tacos to every participant

photo 067_zpstx97aen4.jpg

photo 070_zpsimgeqtn1.jpg

Taco for the guy, one of my doggie treats for Shiner, the little one

photo 077_zpsqaavvaev.jpg

photo 079_zpstpumhmpd.jpg

a truck with shave ice, also free to participants

photo 068_zpsu2q12xi4.jpg

photo 082_zpswyljsskp.jpg

photo 083_zpsfim647yn.jpg

a photo-booth – again, free to participants – where you could get your photo wearing all kinds of silly stuff, the photos printed out for you and the photo guy also texted you the photos so you could upload them to your FB page or wherever you wanted to put them.

photo 090_zpssix8g94t.jpg

photo 091_zpsz2sdig8x.jpg

photo 092_zps8fl3mw5o.jpg

photo 094_zpsh10pk4hk.jpg

There was also a play area for the kiddies.

photo 088_zpswgyatatn.jpg

They even provided chairs-and-tables to sit down and enjoy the food and drink, very nice touch.

photo 075_zps1nzfsqv4.jpg

photo 076_zpscawdbcaq.jpg

photo 086_zpsr8omnxv1.jpg

Me and speedy friend, Tonya, who was overall female winner, if I remember correctly.

photo 051_zpsltszqpwg.jpg

And more....

photo 052_zpswner2sox.jpg

photo 054_zpsozurz6w6.jpg

photo 061_zpsyymxm5ag.jpg

photo 062_zpsd7hctx52.jpg

photo 064_zpslhifkvxu.jpg

I told this young lady I had to get a photo with her, because she is almost a 'twin" for a girlfriend I had in high school.  I grew up in the DC area - in Virginia, right outside of DC - and it turns out this young lady was from Baltimore, also in the area around DC.  Small world!  And kinda spooky, lol.  

photo 055_zpshhgfi5hj.jpg

photo 056_zpss0d6rdx1.jpg

and more....

photo 060_zpsn9achfa2.jpg

photo 069_zpssaym2mw4.jpg

photo 071_zps35odwky0.jpg

photo 078_zpss7lit9sq.jpg

photo 072_zpsxths1o7e.jpg

My Scallywompus friends had a table there, promoting their upcoming event; the Scallywompus races are always great and lots of fun.  "Come for the Race. Stay for the Party!"  Karen and I clowning around at the table..

photo 080_zpsf8nmqy4t.jpg

photo 081_zpsxfhkx0ap.jpg

photo 089_zps1qygehg0.jpg

photo 096_zpswejafefg.jpg

photo 097_zpsyguh5cfs.jpg

photo 097_zpsyguh5cfs.jpg

Nice..the 'awards' were these gym bags....

photo 098_zpsri8cdndj.jpg

photo 099_zpsiwk2wpk5.jpg

I got a 'special prize' for having the most 'unique" race name at this race, lol...Sweeeet!

photo 100_zpsqtksub1b.jpg

photo 101_zpsodc0cnou.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is one well-organized event, from packet pickup right down to the after-party.  This one is definitely a ‘keeper” on my race calendar and will certainly do this one again. They are trying to build up this race over time in lots of different cities in the US, so I jokingly told one of the Get Away folks that, hey, if they wanted me to do one of my reports on another of their events somewhere else, I’d be glad to do it and I don’t need a salary….just pay my airfare and lodging.

MUCHO THANKS to all the people that made this one happen for us – all the Get Away folks, Corrigan Sports, volunteers, sponsors, vendors, musicians, everyone who put this all together for we participants.    This was one “lots of fun” event. This first year one for San Antonio was rather small but I anticipate that when word gets out about how nice this one is, it will definitely grow in our local area.

And, finally,  as I bid you a fond adieu and close this report.....a 'selfie' with my old-time camera. Hope you enjoyed the report and photos!

photo 093_zps9skfkv5n.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Buelligan

I'd do the race just for the two free tacos.