Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Fiesta Especial 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:      http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2026%20Fiesta%20Especial%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

Fiesta Especial 5K was my 26th race of 2017.  Held in Windcrest, Texas, this event supports Reaching Maximum Independence (RMI), which assists adults and children with intellectual and developmental disabilities to reach their maximum level of independence.   This event was part of the 10-day numerous activities of Fiesta San Antonio, which began this year on April 20th.  After the 5K there was a Windcrest Fiesta Parade. Windcrest is only a very short drive for me, so I got there pretty quickly and wandered around getting some prestart photos.  This was a pretty small event, with maybe about 70 or 80 folks.  Also, since it is Fiesta, there were quite a few other races going on this same day, so lots of competition during Fiesta time to get participants.

My friend Karen did this one also...my sister from another mother, lol.   She is good people...and just the right height for me to rest my weary old man self, lol.

photo 004_zpsq2g5e3ft.jpg

Our race MC was Shelley Miles of local NBC TV affiliated station WOAI, channel 4, San Antonio.   Really nice lady.    Really great legs too...if she was a runner, I'd chase her.   

photo 006_zpsjxnc8hjh.jpg

photo 007_zpszptcmsbq.jpg

Local race management company iaap did the timing, results, etc. 

photo 001_zpsuruh7vvs.jpg

Ainsley's Angels local team was out in force.  These folks are really impressive.  I see them over the year at a lot of area events.

photo 002_zpsuvwnlipg.jpg

photo 003_zpsord7r9nk.jpg

photo 015_zps4hiddtqj.jpg

photo 016_zpsy4gnme2e.jpg

photo 018_zps0rryo6gr.jpg

My friend, Tanya, wearing her crown from the goodie bag. Appropriate, cuz she was Queen today, first overall woman finisher.

photo 011_zpswdt19lnk.jpg

And others....

photo 005_zpsewg674il.jpg

photo 008_zpsufku0ofh.jpg

photo 009_zpsvxdp7r1k.jpg

photo 010_zpseeekrzar.jpg

photo 012_zpsywkqo0u7.jpg

photo 013_zpsalxabj3d.jpg

photo 014_zpsx4aghidt.jpg

photo 044_zpspnb5wqvx.jpg

photo 017_zpsdk4yfbal.jpg

photo 020_zpsx7iit06m.jpg

photo 021_zpsip9usdmr.jpg

Yep, she did the 5K, sling and all...

photo 022_zpsehlka6y0.jpg

photo 024_zpsoj64lios.jpg

Getting ready to go...

photo 023_zpsuinnpk6k.jpg

Under a threatening sky...but it stayed pretty warm for us and dry....it started getting a bit colder after we all finished, as the front began moving in.

photo 025_zpsdvnaz6bu.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Weather was pretty humid, with dark clouds hovering over as there was a front predicted to move into San Antonio later in the day.  Temp was in the mid-60s.  Course was pretty darn flat, with just a bit of an incline near the start; I don't think Windcrest even knows what a hill is, lol.  This is a beautiful little city/residential area and is great to run in, with wide roads, a posted speed limit for the city of only 20 mph, and very friendly residents.  I run here once or twice a month - and convenient that I am a member of the nearby YMCA so I can shower and change after my run - and always enjoy it here.

After my first walk break, I was pretty much almost alone for the rest of the entire route.  As I passed some of the spectators, I jokingly told them "I guess I must be winning because there is nobody around me."

photo 026_zps1to0dxk6.jpg

photo 027_zpsyiyfoajy.jpg

Fountain on the part of the Windcrest golf course that we went around

photo 029_zpsylaa7vdm.jpg

photo 030_zpswwwqoqpt.jpg

photo 031_zps9rwa6d7n.jpg

photo 032_zpssnps2k17.jpg

photo 033_zpswp6llxae.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Drank some water, did a bit of a cool-down walk, and then wandered around getting some photos of “happy finishers”, volunteers, et al.

photo 036_zpsws0ndxyw.jpg

photo 037_zpsyamh6hvm.jpg

photo 038_zpsra1xxwu0.jpg

photo 040_zpsaf1qp0qi.jpg

photo 041_zpsmmua5fcm.jpg

photo 042_zps7gzavkqm.jpg

photo 043_zpsoy9e2tvm.jpg

photo 045_zpsniqtvzl2.jpg

photo 046_zpsykdqr2ev.jpg

photo 047_zps4nnvgsfg.jpg

photo 048_zpsqdqc7v5z.jpg

photo 049_zps7bvfprgl.jpg

photo 050_zpsemu1ymgy.jpg

photo 051_zpsw3gbyi1n.jpg

photo 052_zpssodc6t5n.jpg

photo 053_zpsk8umlmnu.jpg

If you're an old man....surround yourself with pretty ladies..you will look great! 

photo 054_zpsjvq4wpr1.jpg

photo 056_zpsm0w6kuew.jpg

This little lady in yellow is one speedy little person.  I saw her at the start..she was goooone!  I did not catch up to her until the last mile of the race.  Her father was running with her.  Wow, this speedy already at that age..I smell future scholarship runner.. 

photo 057_zpsoxxq4rs8.jpg

photo 058_zpsnhxin3fj.jpg

photo 059_zps0swfxlv3.jpg

Nice chat with this lady before the race - fellow survivor.  Placed in her age group.

photo 060_zpsjwzfmpdz.jpg

Awwww.....

photo 061_zps0muldgco.jpg

photo 062_zpszkustlm2.jpg

Karen's friend placed.  And she drove all the way from Germany to do this race...how the car got through the ocean....

photo 063_zpsspx0hj90.jpg

2nd place in my 60 - 69 age group

photo 064_zpseize2lu7.jpg

My friend here was 1st place...and look.....we even dressed kind of alike, lol.  Although he's got an edge over me since he's ZZ top guy......and women love a sharp dressed man..  

photo 065_zps8smv6yda.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a really fun event with lots of friendly participants, great support, and some of the Windcrest residents even come out and sit in their yards and cheer on the runners and walkers. The Windcrest police force gets fully invested in it too, blocking some of the city roads and keeping us safe along the way, with officers posted at several intersections, often kept company by some of the race volunteers who were at some of the intersections too. Nice goody bag with with some nice stuff - including a Fiesta crown, which my wife quite liked, lol, and appropriated that for her 60th birthday crown for next year, lol.  Goodies before and after the race included water, coffee, and dunkin donuts.  And after the race, Dunkin Donuts gave anyone who wanted one a little goodie bag with cookie, various treats, etc. There was also a food truck on site for those who wanted more 'serious' food.   A small event compared to lots of the other Fiesta events but, all in all, a very enjoyable one.  I do this one about every other year or so, as each Fiesta I try to kind of rotate between races, doing some one year, and then different ones the next year.  There is no lack of events to choose from during Fiesta time!  I will certainly do this one again in the future and would definitely recommend it to runners and walkers.

MUCHO thanks also to all folks that made this one possible for we participants; the sponsors, all the volunteers, Athlete Guild for timing, results, the EMT guys that were there for us, et al.   Events could not happen without all of you willing to give your time for we runners and walkers.    THANK YOU.

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt