Beginners and Beyond

Week 8 Penguins never eat grain! (Just fish.) (02/21-02/27) (Read 9 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is National Grain-Free Day, and also National Sticky Bun Day.  Seriously, I'm a baker, which one do you think I'm going to observe??  Neither, to be honest.  It's already past noon, which is too late (or too early) to make sticky buns.  You have to either get up stupid early or make them the night before.  I did make gingerbread last night, which was quite yummy.  My aunt suggested having it with applesauce, and I made some of that last weekend, and it needs to get eaten, so maybe we'll try that tonight.  Otherwise we need to get more Cool Whip.

I'll be able to get back to the lab tomorrow, which is nice.  Working from home was boring last week, both Thursday and Friday, due to ice.  Though I'm betting I was the only one who didn't make it in on Friday -- I live farthest away except for one guy, and I think I'm the most rural.  But it was iffy out, and my boss encouraged remote work, so I did.  But it's more fun onsite.

How would I have survived Aflac and working from home all the time??  Poorly, I bet.  Glad I have a different option.

I am laundering everything today.  Extra loads of sheets and blankets, plus the usual clothes.  Which reminds me, there's a step I forgot -- putting baking soda and vinegar paste on our shirt armpits to get rid of the stains.  I'd better go do that so they have time to sit.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

I like sticky buns, but prefer regular cinnamon rolls. I couldn't be grain free. I like wheat bread and baked goods too much. Good luck with the laundry. I did that yesterday, except for the sheets. I plan to go to the park for an easy run when I finish digesting my lunch bagel.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I don't like either I think, so you can eat mine. Smile

I ran 17 on the TM yesterday and today I have an RD.

HopesMom, enjoy the lab today.

Ginny, hope your run went well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

We have about 4 inches of new snow and it is still falling, though it is supposed to switch over to rain in an hour or so. I won't be running today. Yesterday's run was a good one, longer than originally intended.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey, folks!  It's supposed to be near 60 today, which would be lovely if I weren't (again) in a lab with no windows.  Oh well.  Hopefully there will still be some light and warmth when I leave today.  Yesterday was kind of boring in the lab, today is much more fun.  Is it only Tuesday?  Feels like it should be much later!!

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon! I had my allergy shot yesterday and we redid the same dose. It was even worse. I think I'm maxed out at this level which is still 7 from the highest and 10+ doses above what I was able to do last time, so there is that.

I have 7 miles tonight.

HopesMom, hoping you can enjoy a few minutes of nice weather at least. Are you going to bike to your new job once the weather gets better?

Ginny, glad the run Sunday was nice.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - can you walk at lunchtime?

D - sorry the shots are making life difficult for you. Hopefully it will be worth it eventually.

I ran 7 hilly miles this morning. It was 41 when I started, 45 when I finished. Nice! That should melt off some of the snow.

Singer who runs a smidge

No biking to work -- I don't have back roads.  Which is a bummer, because I did really enjoy that.  However, I enjoy being alive and uninjured more!  I did get out for a few minutes yesterday to just enjoy the day, which was nice.  Once the weather gets better, I can take my lunch outside, so that'll be nice.  And I need to get back to evening running with DH, now that I'm un-shingled and my stress level is down a bit.  For a while there, I was struggling just to get through the day.  Eventually, after Covid is out and done, I'm considering a membership at a gym nearby.  DH could come out and meet me a few evenings per week, and then the weather wouldn't matter.  But that won't be until fall or so, so the better plan for now is to get back to evening running around the neighborhood.

The other positive is that because of the layout of my new job, I'm getting 2-3x more steps per day just doing the job.  So hey, there's something!

Docket_Rocket

That’s good!

I still feel meh since my allergy shot but ran 8 with HMP mile intervals and lifted.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Sorry about the meh, but it sounds like you're not letting it get you down!  I've noticed a definite uptick in traffic for my commute, so I left about 5 minutes earlier.  Which resulted in me getting to work about 15 minutes earlier.  Guess that's a win!  Then I'll try a slightly different route home to skip the area where it slows down.  It might take me just as long, but I should keep moving, at least.

Lab work today, I think.  Woo-hoo!

Docket_Rocket

HopesMom, enjoy the lab work!

I have 7 and weights later.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Lab work good.  Eventually that particular setup won't take me the entire day, but until I get more familiar with it, it just makes sense to block out a day for the experiment.

Today will probably be data analysis ... of the stuff I did yesterday.  Was thinking of taking DH for a run this evening, but it's supposed to be all rainy.  All weekend.