Beginners and Beyond

WTFDIK Sunday Penguins (Read 27 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Well WTFDIN. I guess I'm not to injured. I decided to try to run this morning. I got 2 tempo done. A little pain, but not the sharp pain I was feeling, and it got better after the first 1/4.I warmed up on the elliptical for 5 min then stretched before I went out and tried to pay close attention to form. Only thing I've been doing different recently is more time on the TM.

Just have to see how it goes... Doc is on Tuesday

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Still congested but I will try to run tonight.

PAD, hope the doctor gives you good news.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm glad you had a good run PAD. Sorry you're still sick Damaris.

I'm supposed to be running a HM right now. Bummed I'm not but I'm dealing with it. It's really cold out ("feels like" -2 now, "felt like" -7 around the start time) and the race doesn't even give medals (if I finish a HM I want bling hehe) so I'm trying not to dwell on it too much. There will be other races.

My patents are coming over and my dad is putting up a "running brag" display in my room that he designed. I will share when it is up Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning PAD, DR, Kristin and Pengs.  Good luck Monday, PAD.  Hope the congestion is okay for your run D.  Kristin, don't forget to post a Brag pic.

My old boss broke his fibula and tibula on his daily walk.  Now he has a plate and 12 screws in his ankle.  I WAS going to do a yaxtrax run today in the fresh snow, butI might just go to the track again.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am goofing off today.  I had a busy running Saturday:

On Saturday, January 25th, 2014 at 9 a.m., I did the Love Your Heart 5K.  Then at 4 PM on the same day I did the Reagan High School Band 5K.  Links to my race reports and photos are below.  

Love Your Heart 5K:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/7be84093c0aa41678ccdaba6be1d2efa/resume#focus

Reagan High School Band 5K:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/8e6e8ab79dde42759d657a94329cb7d6/resume#focus

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens. DW and I are about to head out for 10. I actually slept in a little! Last night's beer helped.

GinnyinPA

Jack - beer always helps ;-)  Enjoy your run.

PADRunner - did you do warm up miles as well as tempo miles?  In any case, congratulations on getting out without pain. Do you think the TM is helping or hurting?

Damaris - I hope you get a good run tonight.

Kristin - this actually sounds like a good race to skip, even without injury.  The race organizers are pretty hard core to be putting on long races in January.  We don't even have any 5ks, afaik.

Jerry - ouch for your former boss.  But to be fair, that can happen just from stepping off a curb wrong, or slipping in a parking lot. Have a good run, wherever you go.

Scotty - as usual, I enjoyed the RR.  Enjoy your rest day.

AFM:  Cold and icy outside.  We're sipping hot chocolate at the moment to warm up after our walk with Ben.  I will probably go down and use the bike or do a video later.

PADRunner

PADRunner - did you do warm up miles as well as tempo miles?  In any case, congratulations on getting out without pain. Do you think the TM is helping or hurting?

Actually I think the TM caused it. I was running 30 miles a week in November with no problems. I started using the TM as the weather got worse. TM might force me to run where it twists my knee a little...

SheCan

Good morning friends!

PAD-- well hopefully it's a not a major injury.  Your body might have just needed a break after the long run streak.  Glad you're going to the doctor to find out for sure though.

Docket-- good luck tonight.  Hope the run helps you feel better.

kristin-- Ohhhh, I wanna see that running-brag!  Sounds cool.  Your dad is so proud of you.  Brrrrr@ your temps.  I don't think I'd be jonesin' for a HM in temps that cold either.

Jerry-- wow, did your boss slip and fall on the ice then?  That's quite an injury.

Scotty-- hey ya!  Hope you had some good races yesterday.  I'll check them out soon!

Jack-- beer is all carbs, right?

Ginny-- warm cocoa after a cold walk sounds pretty nice.  I can see you all sitting in front of a big fireplace also.

I did a nice 10-1/2.  Came back and am drinking more coffee.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5 track miles.  No walker problems.  All those turns are not bothering us, yet.   24 for the week.  First 20 mile week this year.  Tomorrow will be a SRD, probably going to the health club and do some strength machines.

Dad on the run.

Hey penguin friends! Church this morning then went out for a LR with some friends from work. Route was a planned 8 but we missed a turn and ended up with 7.41 @ 10:21m/m

Also for those who enjoy a great movie you really need to watch Captain Phillips! My wife and I watched it Friday night and really enjoyed the movie. I'm sure its Hollywoodized some but still an incredible story.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I agree Jimmy.  But "The Academy" probably won't.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Cherie, unfortunately it was not my current boss.  It was my boss from my career job that I'm retired from.