Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 62: San Antonio Road Runners 5K and 5 Mile Whine Run (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2062%20SARR%20Whine%20Run%205K%205%20Miler?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 62nd race of 2018 was San Antonio Road Runners (SARR) Whine Run 5K held on Labor Day, Sep 3.  The main event was a 5-miler.  Course was at Vintage Oaks, an upscale neighborhood in New Braunfels TX, with the after-party being held across the street from that neighborhood at Dry Comal Creek Winery, hence the name of the event.  This is a very popular local annual event, always held on Labor Day each year, so usually has a pretty good turnout.  Used to be only a 5-miler, and then a 5K was added recently.  There were around 750+ participants.   Start time of 7:30 a.m., so lots of early risers to make the trip to the winery area and get parked by 6:30 a.m.  Still a little dark when I got to the start/finish area and starting taking some before photos.  A few of them a bit dark, as my old-time camera really is not very good when the light is not good.

Various Participants, supporters, etc.

Tom was the official photographer for this event.  Here with a friends. I swear, he gets more exercise than all of us, running all  over the course to different points, carrying that camera, so he can get photos.

photo IMG_5030_zpsawbzbrc8.jpg

photo IMG_5031_zpsa2pwrrfp.jpg

Me with friend Sally, one of my longest-known running friends

photo IMG_5032_zpspdkuoaw8.jpg

photo IMG_5033_zpstsh0oyzg.jpg

photo IMG_5035_zpshagfbo8m.jpg

photo IMG_5036_zpsa7n0tvuk.jpg

photo IMG_5037_zpsqtlq9hul.jpg

photo IMG_5038_zpsqvsumv1a.jpg

photo IMG_5039_zpsi4sl95fc.jpg

photo IMG_5040_zpsjpvnqqos.jpg

photo IMG_5041_zpsgl23c9hn.jpg

photo IMG_5042_zpsonkvzzhw.jpg

photo IMG_5043_zpsglzpelhs.jpg

Near the start/finish line...a model home for this neighborhood. Houses start at $400K.   Nice, gated community area, with lots of amenities.

photo IMG_5044_zpsuqcv4hkx.jpg

photo IMG_5045_zpsrf9fvs8u.jpg

This was their first time doing this event.   I told them it was a very flat course.   Wink

photo IMG_5046_zpspr0mhyx2.jpg

photo IMG_5047_zpsuynsfnhx.jpg

photo IMG_5048_zps5uzcamk0.jpg

photo IMG_5049_zpsms1nakhv.jpg

photo IMG_5050_zpsqdytziuo.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The 5K and 5-miler started together.  These courses are known for hills.  The only flat part on this whole course – both 5K and 5 Miler – is right at the start and finish area.  About 100 or so yards after you cross the timing mat you then start on the hills , both up and down, and you pretty much don’t finish those hills until you are back at the finish area  The 5-miler – which I’ve done a few times in the past – has some especially tough hills.  The 5K was an out and back – we turned off from the 5-mile route shortly after we started – with a pretty darn good uphill toward the turn-round point, then downhill to the turn-round, then back up the hill, then downhill on the big hill we’d come out on, then one last uphill, then a right turn, and downhill to the finish. The road we were on, doing these hills, was also way to the finish for the 5-milers before they made the last turn to go downhill to the finish.  I thought it was funny that, as I was going up the hill to make the last turn to go to the finish, the guy that was first overall for the 5-miler passed me on his way to the finish.  The 2nd finisher passed me too.   Speedy guys!  Their 5-mile time was almost my 5K time, lol.

And we are off, and climbing! 

photo IMG_5051_zpsuhaqgtbl.jpg

photo IMG_5052_zpsfvg1aij2.jpg

photo IMG_5053_zps26lj057p.jpg

At this point, we 5K folks turned left as the 5-mile folks kept going straight ahead

photo IMG_5054_zpszulijfvj.jpg

Heading toward the 5K turn-round point.  Looking behind me here at the hill.   As you can see from the arrow on the right, this was a downhill for us on the way to the finish.

photo IMG_5055_zpswj9hxday.jpg

Looking ahead

photo IMG_5056_zpsk1ezxads.jpg

Another uphill

photo IMG_5057_zpsrw5sym3o.jpg

photo IMG_5058_zps3vzu3ckg.jpg

photo IMG_5059_zpspv4sqr4s.jpg

Typical Vintage Oaks residence that we passed. There were some much bigger than this.

photo IMG_5060_zpsukcdyktz.jpg

This was the longest uphill for us on the course

photo IMG_5061_zpspsuui8om.jpg

My speedy friend Karla, already heading to the finish, and floating along the way

photo IMG_5062_zpsy8yvp47w.jpg

photo IMG_5063_zpsmv2c5kzk.jpg

This was the downhill we did to the turn-round point, and then climbed back up.  I made the turn-round and am now near the top of this hill looking back for this photo

photo IMG_5064_zpsq6jmjkht.jpg

photo IMG_5067_zpslpiquljg.jpg

photo IMG_5068_zpsueyj2xxk.jpg

photo IMG_5069_zpsbx64t840.jpg

My speedy friend Don, green shirt, got a late start, but still passed me and finished way ahead of me.

photo IMG_5065_zpsvjlwj3gf.jpg

Looking ahead...I still have a bit to climb..

photo IMG_5066_zpsoimltsli.jpg

OK, maybe more than a bit, lol

photo IMG_5070_zpsajvwgzvj.jpg

Going down now...

photo IMG_5072_zpsihzs9mhp.jpg

These two friends of mine were walking the course and heading to the turn-round when I encountered them as I was going down.  This is near the 2-mile mark for me.  After that, I ran nonstop to the finish...and got passed by the first two guys in for the 5-miler.

photo IMG_5073_zpst1xlepu7.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water, found a nice bench to sit on, and just relaxed for a bit wearing on the back of my neck the iced down towel given to all finisher at the finish line – nice - and just rehydrated and relaxed for about 15 minutes. Then went back to the finish area, chatted with friends, and got some photos.  Then it was about a half-mile walk back to the parking area  and on up that road to the after-party at the winery.  On the bib were tickets for 2 free glasses of wine – I gave mine to friends, since I don’t like wine – and there was also grilled hot dogs, and all kinds of other foodstuff.  Lots of relaxing spots on the grounds of the winery, including tables and chairs, rock walls, a covered patio, and more, music being played by a DJ, door prizes giving away and, of course, the age-group awards.  I got something to eat and found my friend with the beer – since I don’t like wine, lol – so had my food and post-race beverage of choice as I wandered around taking some more photos.

Various supporters, finishers, volunteers, etc.

photo IMG_5074_zpsqozbb7hc.jpg

photo IMG_5075_zpslpn5885c.jpg

photo IMG_5076_zps2rgjk7on.jpg

photo IMG_5077_zps6bezez9r.jpg

photo IMG_5078_zpsaapkcton.jpg

photo IMG_5079_zpsubsccqxc.jpg

photo IMG_5080_zpsb5nmvpe4.jpg

photo IMG_5081_zps6mlasxzk.jpg

photo IMG_5082_zpspg8jp84h.jpg

photo IMG_5084_zps7n0mhcfs.jpg

photo IMG_5085_zpsexnp8111.jpg

photo IMG_5086_zpsccxw3ncy.jpg

photo IMG_5087_zpsn7qeyjaq.jpg

photo IMG_5089_zps9kklpam4.jpg

After-party on the Winery grounds. 

Bernadette and Don.  They both placed in their age groups.  Don was in my age group for the 5K, 60 - 69.   I ended up 5th.

photo IMG_5090_zpsy8n5lwwl.jpg

Thank you volunteers

photo IMG_5091_zpszrogkmag.jpg

photo IMG_5092_zps4cyuziso.jpg

photo IMG_5103_zpswzzstynj.jpg

photo IMG_5093_zpsio0or8z6.jpg

photo IMG_5094_zpshlsrcplk.jpg

photo IMG_5095_zpslpzm0fb1.jpg

photo IMG_5096_zpsazv4biqi.jpg

photo IMG_5097_zpskoascv11.jpg

photo IMG_5098_zpser1lcydr.jpg

Scott, on the right, is the SARR club President. 

photo IMG_5099_zps3uaz7hbz.jpg

photo IMG_5100_zpsneupdpdj.jpg

photo IMG_5101_zpsxyrp90ly.jpg

photo IMG_5102_zpsy6xibnsw.jpg

Chillin' with friend Sally after a challenging 5K

photo IMG_5104_zpsdo5v5owp.jpg

With friend Albert, 75 and still going strong

photo IMG_5105_zpsq8mybzsu.jpg

This guy always cracks me up.  Always does his races in costume.  He is pretty darn speedy in his get-ups too - although he does use running shoes on the course, lol.   Have known him for a while now, really nice guy.

photo IMG_5106_zpsvluyrdzy.jpg

With my speedy friend Elaine who did the 5 miler and was first in her age group, 65 - 69.  The 5-miler, the more popular event, had 5-year age groups.  The 5K had 10-year age groups

photo IMG_5107_zps18y5vv0n.jpg

A few of the medal winners.

My friend Rex is amazing...reminds me of my friend, Damaris.  Asthma, yet keeps on going strong.  He was first in his age group, and very speedy, he does about a 7-minute mile...

photo IMG_5108_zpsolms6dlb.jpg

My friend Jim, also speedy, and Type II diabetes.  He inspires a whole lot of people.

photo IMG_5109_zpsnwoobd5m.jpg

My friend, Elaine, 1st in her age group for the 5-miler, 8-somethiing minute miles

photo IMG_5110_zpsyfbxzsio.jpg

photo IMG_5111_zpsyunuqqe4.jpg

Albert placed too in the 5-miler.

photo IMG_5112_zpsj257tum0.jpg

EPILOGUE

As said, this is one very popular event each year and about the only race – I think it is the only race locally – being held on Labor Day.  The San Antonio Road Runners, the largest running club in the local area, do a great job organizing this and sponsor one heck of an after-party.  Very nicely designed race shirts too, with a choice of singlet or tee – I wore my singlet from last year for this one – very good and challenging course in a great neighborhood, lots of door prizes, lots of food-and-drink, lots of fun.  This is my favorite SARR race of the year.  It sure has come a long way from the first one, many years back, when we ran across from the winery on a no-shoulder 2-lane road where we had to keep an eye out for traffic and crazy drivers, some of whom would not move or slow for us at all,  and ran up a hill – a quite large hill too – to a turn-round point and then came back down the same way.  When the race started with that first course, I don’t efen think some of today’s participants were even born yet, lol.   Since then SARR has improved this event a LOT over the years, making it the great event it is today.

KUDOS to all the SARR people and all the volunteers they had who did all that it took to make this race happen for us.  Also thanks to Vintage Oaks residents and Dry Comal Creek Winery for their hospitality in letting us invade their space, and thanks to all the law enforcement that was out there helping keep us safe.  And, of course, a big thanks to all the sponsors who contributed so we participants could have this event.  Thank you all very much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Wow, that looks hilly!  Looks like you get a lot of house for the price.