Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 55 Cleft Strong 5K (Read 10 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full commentary report below.     

Photos Slideshow is here: 

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2109%2520Race%2520Number%252055%2520Cleft%2520Strong%25205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 55th race of 2019, was held on October 12t at Los Patios, a local San Antonio area restaurant that borders on the off-road paved trails of Lady Bird Johnson Park. Start time of 8:30 a.m.  This event supports Cleft Strong, an organization that helps children and infants born with cleft palates.  Los Patios is only about 7 miles from where I live, so it did not take me long to get there, find some parking, and then get a few pre-start photos.  There were about 150 or so participants for this event. There was also a kids’ run and a Disney-themed costume contest for both adults and kids.

Welcome to the event

photo IMG_1503_zps9x5krbwk.jpg

Kids Run start line

photo IMG_1501_zps3nmfzrey.jpg

At the event with friends

photo IMG_1509_zpsspmaotww.jpg

photo IMG_1512_zpshuq5ygxy.jpg

Friend Deborah

photo IMG_1510_zpsa2ekqbpb.jpg

Various

photo IMG_1500_zps369zb64a.jpg

photo IMG_1505_zpsnh2thehc.jpg

photo IMG_1507_zpsuus4g1u7.jpg

photo IMG_1513_zpsowofz04k.jpg

photo IMG_1514_zpsbgrwgv5x.jpg

photo IMG_1515_zpsngx1rdou.jpg

photo IMG_1516_zpsjrfw5gce.jpg

photo IMG_1517_zps174wb6db.jpg

ON THE COURSE

A “cold front had blown into San Antonio from Canada, dropping our temps from the 90s down into the 50s – so thank you Canada.  It was very pleasant, with very low humidity and a start temp of 59 - 60 degrees. We started in the parking lot in front of Los Patios, made a right turn onto off-road paved trails and then proceeded below an underpass that goes under local Highway 410.  We then went to a turn-round point and then came back the way we had come out, finishing back at the Los Patios parking area.  I was feeling pretty good and so pushed myself a bit after the turn-round point, running nonstop for the last 1.2 miles.  I ended up with a chip-time of 35:01 and was very happy about this; my first below 12-minute miles since I got my pacemaker inserted. Still not quite where I want to be, but I am making progress.  I got 1st in my age group of 60 – 69 males.  Of course, it did help that there were only two in my age group.

photo IMG_1519_zpspslpldsy.jpg

My camera us not great at catching things in motion, but managed to get a blurry image of this deer crossing in front of us on the course.

photo IMG_1520_zpsqhxpoonl.jpg

photo IMG_1521_zpspn9xjnxf.jpg

Dog friendly event.   Git along lil doggie!

photo IMG_1522_zpsi4xwzq95.jpg

photo IMG_1523_zpsk8y8pte5.jpg

A bit blurry image of my Longhorn friend on the course

photo IMG_1524_zpswhumvwpc.jpg

photo IMG_1525_zpsgwcv6nza.jpg

photo IMG_1526_zpsxknrytx7.jpg

Mr. Incredible was going so fast I blame him for the blur..   Wink

photo IMG_1527_zpsgajcol8g.jpg

photo IMG_1528_zpsw1kvyjvf.jpg

photo IMG_1529_zpsv13jqxu9.jpg

photo IMG_1530_zps9ci2bypy.jpg

After My Finish

Nice post-race event.  Goodies included a variety of breakfast tacos, bottled water, various fruits and other stuff, and a local brewery – if I remember correctly, it was Weathered Souls, a perfect brewery for Halloween month - was even on site with a nice ‘blonde’ locally brewed beer.  It’s pretty good too. Between munching on a taco and getting some water and beer in me, I wandered around taking some various photos.  Lots of vendors at this one, and also one of the local animal shelters was there to promote dog adoptions.  There was also a nice ceremony before the awards were given in which one of the cleft palate kids ‘read’ a poem he had written about his experience and his mother read it aloud also.  Pretty moving and you really get a ‘personal’ look about what this event is all about and who some of the kids are that are being helped.

Done! Hydrated and now it's time to enjoy a beer

photo IMG_1532_zpstgjqpcfq.jpg

This lady won the adult female costume contest

photo IMG_1533_zpsiumwqro7.jpg

Our MC, who did a great job

photo IMG_1535_zpsijvvaagb.jpg

Our Race Director, who also did a great job

photo IMG_1536_zpsv3winbje.jpg

Various happy finishers, volunteers, etc

photo IMG_1534_zpstpfnhzqh.jpg

photo IMG_1542_zps54qygqzp.jpg

photo IMG_1543_zps66smqbwi.jpg

photo IMG_1544_zpswoiccr2p.jpg

photo IMG_1545_zpsierretm5.jpg

photo IMG_1537_zpsidbuddqb.jpg

Me and Deborah with our age group award medals

photo IMG_1540_zps4suaaomq.jpg

Age Groups medal design

photo IMG_1550_zps3cdevjoe.jpg

EPILOGUE

I’ve done this race a couple of times in the past.  Well organized, with a nice opening ceremony – in which a kid’s choir did the National Anthem acapella and did a heck of a job – a really good course, lots and lots of vendors giving away free stuff, and very nice post-race food goodies.  Nice quality race shirts and pretty nice-looking age-group award medals too.  The overall winners got nice trophies.  I will definitely be doing this one again in the future and would recommend it to others.

Thanks to all the folks who made this event happen for we participants:  Wilson County Road Runners; volunteers; all the sponsors; the medical and law enforcement folks out there for us; the Floresville residents and the drivers who were very patient with us on the course; and anyone else I may not have mentioned.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good looking socks you had there! Congrats on the AG award...that's always fun! Also, post race breakfast tacos would make this race a no-brainer for me!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

GinnyinPA

I'm so glad you are getting back to your normal running again. Does it feel much different, running with the pacemaker?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I'm so glad you are getting back to your normal running again. Does it feel much different, running with the pacemaker?

Actually, better.  I probably should have done it earlier. I put the doc off for almost 2 years before I got the thing.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt