Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: Yay February O_o (Read 33 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Crazy Tuesday yesterday.

The good:  Did 6 miles at Fort Sam Houston in the morning.   Very nice, felt good, temp was in the low 60s, sweet weather.  Felt good.  Have not done 6 miles in a long while, so this was a nice mental boost that I could still even do 6 miles, with this stupid arthritis.

The bad:  My 180,000-miles-on-it 2005 Ford escape that I've driven for the last 12 years finally decided it was time to be put out to pasture.  Mechanic told me to fix it, it would be around $1800.  As this was about the 3rd major repair it needed in the last year, I figured it was trying to tell me something.  When the repairs get that costly, time to get a new one.

The good:  A local Ford dealer actually gave me a pretty good trade-in deal for my old vehicle, all things considered, since it was not in the best shape any more.  Escape is the vehicle I've liked the best out of all the vehicles I've ever owned, so I went with another Escape, this one a 2017.  Got a pretty good deal on it too - they even gave me a 'retired military' discount - but of course, now I have a car payment again - that was nice with my old Escape, at least I did not have a car payment, but the repair bills might as well have been, lol - so will probably have to manage my budget a bit better now.  Probably will not do as many races this year as I did last year.  Oh, well, it is what it is.

Today after work, probably going to do a run/walk around the university gym, very easy,  3 to 4 miles.  Nice day today in San Antonio, going up to around 76 degrees, with mild humidity.  My kinda running weather...I really hate the cold, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Runshortii

7 miles outside with a 5/5,4/4,3/3,2/2,1/1 fartlek in the middle of it to get my poor body used to spadework again before I start my HM plan.  The sun even came out for the last few miles!  I feel like I haven't seen that thing in months.

D - knee looks like it is healing well.  Is there a timeline for running again?

Docket_Rocket

3-6 weeks depending on the person. I will ask him again on Monday (when to consider it, things to look for, etc.). He basically said when you no longer have any pain. Ok...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

3-6 weeks depending on the person. I will ask him again on Monday (when to consider it, things to look for, etc.). He basically said when you no longer have any pain. Ok...

Alcohol helps for that.

Docket_Rocket

Alcohol helps for that.

Tell me about it....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

In the good news department, my husband went to his 6 month follow up post brain surgery.  His MRI shows the leftover tumor is stable.  He has now a one year follow up from now until who knows.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

3.6. I didn't sleep well last night and was really dragging this afternoon.

Docket, good news about DH. Did they mark your other knee no?

Asthma question for Damaris: I have been taking Advair, which used to be sporadic for me, but the last 1-2 years I've had to stay on it pretty consistently. Now because of a change to my insurance, it now costs me a fuckton of money. Instead of $35, now $376.   I am looking for something less expensive, but everything else in that drug class is about the same. Have you taken Singulair? There is a generic (montelukast), so it is cheap.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Asthma question for Damaris: I have been taking Advair, which used to be sporadic for me, but the last 1-2 years I've had to stay on it pretty consistently. Now because of a change to my insurance, it now costs me a fuckton of money. Instead of $35, now $376.   I am looking for something less expensive, but everything else in that drug class is about the same. Have you taken Singulair? There is a generic (montelukast), so it is cheap.

Da fuk?  I used Singulair for a while but it is mostly used in conjunction with a long term inhaler. Is Symbicort as expensive as Advair?  Ugh.  You have nothing to lose. Try Montelukast and use albuterol more often and see. The pill has some side effects that you need to watch out for: depression, vivid nightmares, and a third that was meh. You will have to stop taking it if you get them but most people do not.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Tripped on a cat, hoping I didn't re tear this fucking thing.  Cats are now prohibited on the first floor for ever.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

onemile

I ran 8

Da fuk?  I used Singulair for a while but it is mostly used in conjunction with a long term inhaler. Is Symbicort as expensive as Advair?  Ugh.  You have nothing to lose. Try Montelukast and use albuterol more often and see. The pill has some side effects that you need to watch out for: depression, vivid nightmares, and a third that was meh. You will have to stop taking it if you get them but most people do not.

Symbiocort is only $323.  Basically prescriptions did not used to be part of the deductible, but now it is, so once I hit that ($2600), it will go back down to $35. I can see if my doctor has any suggestions, but now afraid what an office visit will cost. 

My son actually takes Montelukast, I don't think he has any problems with it.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Try it. It's more for allergies but for allergy induced asthma it seems to help. It did nothing for me but I was fucked up when I tried it. And I got the vivid nightmares side effect.

Damaris

Fundraising Page