Beginners and Beyond

Mesa-Phoenix HM 2019 RR ... slay. (Read 34 times)

KCRuns

Congratulations!  You ran a fantastic race! <insert dancing banana> And those are some pretty splits Smile  This will be such a great feeling and motivation going in the rest of your training this season!

RunningOnSand

Great job ROS! You killed it out there and slaughtered your goal time. I think you are fast enough now where you don't need to mess with the gels at the HM distance. I would have a heart attack if I was in the POP and the National Anthem was happening...insane...were people reading books in there? . To answer your question (to the best of my ability) I believe you can gain quite a bit of fitness in 3 months. Thats 12 weeks of training. I only did an 8 week build up for my PR half.

Jay!!!! So great to hear from you. You should post more often!!!!

I was actually remembering you and your training cycles, and how you killed it. I couldn't remember the amount of time, though--so this is super helpful to know that it was 12 weeks for you. Woot!

RunningOnSand

Congratulations!  You ran a fantastic race! <insert dancing banana> And those are some pretty splits Smile  This will be such a great feeling and motivation going in the rest of your training this season!

Thanks, KC! Smile

Runshortii

How much fitness do you guys think can be gained in 3 mos? I’m hoping to race a HM 4-6w out from the marathon to give me a better idea at my time. I know probably not a lot can be gained in 3 months. I was also thinking this spring would be a long shot for a BQ! Then I’ll be looking for an early Sept marathon. Which I’ll be asking you guys for advice on. 😁

Going backwards (bc I psychoanalyze everything 🤪), according to Mr McMillan a 3:50 marathon is = to a 1:49 HM. I wish I had raced a HM before IMM.

Great race!! That’s an awesome PR. What a great feeling. I also think quite a bit of fitness can be gained in 3 months depending on other variables

RunningOnSand

Great race!! That’s an awesome PR. What a great feeling. I also think quite a bit of fitness can be gained in 3 months depending on other variables

Thanks, Shortii! Yeah--I think the other variables may make or break it. I'm just hoping for a cool day. 

I've been buried at work, and wanted to take my time to read this, and boy it was worth it!!!  You kicked the shit of of this!  I may have to investigate this race, the idea of an entire race at 43 degrees and not humid AF is so appealing.  And hubs will take pretty much any excuse to go to AZ, so I may have a willing accomplice.

Excellent execution and excellent decision making on the back end.  I am in awe of your iron gut, a gel every 4 miles would wreck me, but damn if the caffeine doesn't deliver on those suckers.  Clearly they worked for you!  Also, mmmm, french toast...  now I'm hungry.  Inspired, and hungry.  Well done girl!

RunningOnSand

I've been buried at work, and wanted to take my time to read this, and boy it was worth it!!!  You kicked the shit of of this!  I may have to investigate this race, the idea of an entire race at 43 degrees and not humid AF is so appealing.  And hubs will take pretty much any excuse to go to AZ, so I may have a willing accomplice.

Excellent execution and excellent decision making on the back end.  I am in awe of your iron gut, a gel every 4 miles would wreck me, but damn if the caffeine doesn't deliver on those suckers.  Clearly they worked for you!  Also, mmmm, french toast...  now I'm hungry.  Inspired, and hungry.  Well done girl!

Thank you! I'm sure I didn't need a GU every 4 miles, but I did that for the marathon (roughly every 45 minutes) and it seemed to work...and since these guys didn't have any aid stations on the odd miles my morning brain couldn't figure out the math on how to make that work. Plus I was afraid of bonking. I've gotten low blood sugar on some of my workouts and the results have been absolutely terrible--so I overcompensated. Wink

I can't speak from a long-term perspective, but the last 2 years I raced it, the weather has been perfect. Last year it was cold (38* at the start!) but they have a shitton of heat lamps to keep you warm. And again, the French toast is amazing.