Beginners and Beyond

Sort of RR question about diet (Read 84 times)

LRB

And a lot of other things!

slowrunningjulie

Poutine, as per Wikipedia. And I heard that Anthony Bourdain loves it. 

I am pretty sure that just viewing that page caused me to gain two pounds. So thank you for that...

LRB, there is no shortage of booze in my current diet. Not much soda though. One change that I have made is that when I do drink soda, I drink the real stuff. No diet. I figure that soda should be a treat, not a staple, so I might as well drink the stuff that I like better.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

onemile

I wish I had this problem.  I am 5'6", 128 lbs currently and find it difficult not to gain weight. And I'm running a lot.  (but that also makes me hungry a lot)

I would say eating nutrient dense food like dried fruit and pb might help.  And drinking fruit juices and other calorie dense beverages.

LRB

+1 on the peanut butter, I forgot all about that.  I eat from a jar of it a few nights a week before bed.

I do cheese and crackers the other nights.  Hoffmans super hot, that's wassup yo!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

+1 on the peanut butter, I forgot all about that.  I eat from a jar of it a few nights a week before bed.

I do cheese and crackers the other nights.  Hoffmans super hot, that's wassup yo!

Meh......PB is my "healthy" cookie dough.  

Oh ya......there's also cookie dough!!

Heck, they even put it in ice cream!!!  (Gaining weight as I type this0

But seriously, the solution you probably know already.  If it's not medical, try and figure out what changed.  Your metabolism most likely did not go up, so try to think about what you *used* to do that you don't do now.

Snacks?

Things like cereal??  Ice cream??

Were you a soda drinker then & not now??

Do you do less fast food now vs then??

Again, it's most likely portion and/or frequency related, but it can also be the types of foods you eat.

Randy

StepbyStep-SH

Hmmm ... I've said that the discomfort of braces as an adult wouldn't be worth it, but in light of this, maybe I should reconsider.

In seriousness, as others said, just finding little ways to up the caloric density of what you are eating, while keeping it healthy, is probably the way to go: a little extra butter or PB, a handful of nuts, full-fat cheeses/yogurt/milk rather than skim, avocados.

Your body may also just find an equilibrium, especially if you aren't feeling hungry.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

workinprogress11

Protein shakes if you get the right kind are fairly healthy and pretty calorie dense. They also won't give you trouble with the braces.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

If you have serious concerns about your diet, caloric intake, weight loss or weight maintenance please consider the following:

As has been mentioned, braces or not, there are some health conditions that need to be considered if you've suddenly lost a lot of weight despite not trying to.  Please consider following up with your primary care provider for further evaluation to ensure that there are no underlying medical issues and that this can be, in fact, tied in to you getting braces.

If you're concerned about what and how much you're eating or need to eat to maintain your weight please consider asking your PCP for a referral to a Registered Dietician... *not* a nutritionist... a Registered Dietician.  You want someone who is a licensed health care provider/practitioner which is what you'll get with a Registered Dietician.  This person can help you evaluate your diet and caloric intake and compare that with what you need to either maintain or gain weight.  S/he can help you develop eating plans based on your needs.

Anecdotal advice like what you've gotten here isn't always a bad thing.  However, given what you've shared so far there are some things that need to be addressed first (i.e. a pretty significant weight loss without much trying... ignoring the braces which may or may not be part of the problem).  Please ensure that you are, in fact, otherwise healthy and then follow up with the Registered Dietician.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Little Blue

Has your mileage been consistent through the last year?  I have dropped about 8 lbs in the last 6-8 weeks or so, but I attribute it to consistent running.  I don't run many miles, but I've been running consistently since January.  All of a sudden it's like I hit the next lower plateau, and my weight dropped (as did my resting heart rate.)  Absolutely no attempt to lose, I eat what I want.  I have no idea if it will continue, I really don't have any more to lose.

How much longer will you have the braces?

slowrunningjulie

Has your mileage been consistent through the last year?  I have dropped about 8 lbs in the last 6-8 weeks or so, but I attribute it to consistent running.  I don't run many miles, but I've been running consistently since January.  All of a sudden it's like I hit the next lower plateau, and my weight dropped (as did my resting heart rate.)  Absolutely no attempt to lose, I eat what I want.  I have no idea if it will continue, I really don't have any more to lose.

How much longer will you have the braces?

Yes my mileage has been pretty consistent:

April, 2014: 76.9 Mi 15:57:56
                        March: 60.4 Mi 13:22:45
                        February: 51.9 Mi 12:23:50
                        January: 92.0 Mi 21:03:41
                        December, 2013: 79.9 Mi 17:57:37
                        November: 68.1 Mi 15:22:35

I expect to have them off sometime in the next year, but don't know exactly when.

I appreciate the concern of those who have suggested underlying health issues, but I don't think that is it. Ten pounds of my weight loss occurred in the two weeks immediately after I got the braces put on. I had four teeth extracted at the same time and basically was on a liquid diet until the wounds healed. After that, chewing became very difficult for me for a while because of the spaces in my teeth and because of the braces and although my weight loss slowed, it continued. So basically we are looking at a 15 pound weight loss over the course of a year, which is not the kind of thing usually associated with being sick. I think I am just operating at a perpetual calorie deficit and want to figure out how to maintain my current weight without gaining back what I have lost. People are starting to make comments about me being too thin, and frankly I agree. I like the suggestion about the high calorie foods and may try that. I brought Nutter Butters to work with me today.

Upcoming:

delicate flower

Just speaking from my own experience here, but it seems to me that the weight loss would level off once your body has decided you've lost enough.  When I started running, I went from 202 to 152 in five months.  When I hit 152, the weight loss just stopped without me adding extra calories.  I've been there for almost three years now.   I could lose more weight but I'd need to make a concentrated effort to do so and I am already skinny enough.  BTW, your current BMI is the exact same as mine and I look fabulous.

<3

slowrunningjulie

BTW, your current BMI is the exact same as mine and I look fabulous.

What a coincidence - so do I!

Upcoming:

#artbydmcbride

Just speaking from my own experience here, but it seems to me that the weight loss would level off once your body has decided you've lost enough.  When I started running, I went from 202 to 152 in five months.  When I hit 152, the weight loss just stopped without me adding extra calories.  I've been there for almost three years now.   I could lose more weight but I'd need to make a concentrated effort to do so and I am already skinny enough.  BTW, your current BMI is the exact same as mine and I look fabulous.

ditto!  

Runners run