Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins Don't Need To Impress Anyone, But It Happens Anyway! (Read 186 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Yeah!!  10 miles done at an 8:35 pace.  Feeling good!! Now, I just wish I could motivate myself to do some of the myrtl exercises....

Hola Penguins! How is everyone in our fine feathered colony doing?

Gustav, I’m glad you made good use of that snow and got in some cross country skiing! I’m jealous, I haven’t gone yet this season.

Bin, haha… glad you found a bathroom and finished the run.

Awood, what is up next on your race agenda?  Knee??? What happened?

Traci, good luck with HM training!

Zelanie, enjoy the 6 miles! Good luck with training!

Scotty, how many races did you end up doing in 2012?  Way to go on the 20 mile week!

After being sick for what feels like a life time I’ve finally go answers from the doc and am starting to get back to normal.  My pace is still slower than where it was pre-cold but I’m happy to be back to running.  I finished off this past week (ended yesterday) with 20 miles.  We got about 6 inches of snow last night and I got in 3 snowy miles this am. I hope everyone is having a great weekend and enjoying the end of 2012.

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

hog4life

Good morning, err, afternoon everyone. Church was great this morning!  I'm gonna head out for a little 2-3 miler to see how my knee feels. It started hurting a little at the end of yesterday's LR. If there is any sign of pain at all, I will bail.

Gustav, thanks for the start and enjoy the skiing.

Bin, good job on the run, I need to do some runs like that.

Damaris, hope your run goes okay after the attack.

Awood, hope your mom is doing well. GL on the run.

Traci, your plan looks good to me. And you are not a wuss in your old age! I started much older than you and had some setbacks too. If I can do it, then you certainly can too.

Zelanie, enjoy the 6. Which plan are you using again?

Amanda, nice job on getting the distance done. I have total confidence that you will reach your goal.

Scotty, nice job on hitting that 20! 3 races in 10 hours????? You are one crazy man, in a good way of course.

hog4life

Jack and Steph, you snuck in on me.

Jack, nice job on the 10!

Steph, I've been missing you, sorry to hear you've been so sick. Is running in snow hard? Stupid question, I know. How do you keep your feet dry?

Posting from the phone as we are still on vacation. I knocked out 9 yesterday and 4 this AM. This gets me to 152 for the month.

Take care

Tomas

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Planned to run today but my knee is still bothering me Sad

gonna hopefully try for a slow, short run tomorrow.

Down in Maryland at my boyfriend's til New Years. Watching the Giants game now, then we're going to the Redskins (his team) vs Cowboys tonight. Jealous scotty?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

hard to do personals on a phone in a bar while watching football but Steph's back yay!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Well, they've run a lot of tests since last night, but don't know what's going on with my Mom.  She hasn't eaten anything since Thursday.  I think if they can get some food in her she'd be doing a lot better.

Because of sitting with my Mom at the hospital, I haven't had a chance to test the knee yet.  I'm looking at the roads outside, and wondering if a treadmill wouldn't be the best option.  The last thing I want is to loose my footing when I'm testing out my knee.  The main roads are clean, but who wants to run a busy road.  The side roads are basically packed snow that's been warmed by the sun and turned into ice.  I think the safest bet is the darn treadmill.  I'm probably only going to run 30 minutes anyway.

Steph - My knee just got a little angry with my running streak.  I made it 28 days and 160 miles before it said, "Hey...what the hell?  Day off maybe?".  So, I have taken 5 days off.  I only have two races that are definitely on my agenda.  I want to run the Chi Town HM in March, and the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon in November.  I'll play the rest by ear.  I'm going to sign up for the Marathon on the 1st and save about $70, but Chi Town's registration can wait until I see if the knee is ready to go.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

Morning Penguins!

"  I wished I could build as quickly as you other robots around here but my body is just a wuss I guess?   I think it has something to do with 4 pregnancies in 3 years including full term twins and possibly from doing a 4 month accutane treatment which is really hard on an old body like mine."---

Tracilynn, your body is far from a wuss it sounds to me!  You may or may not be able to do everything someone else can do, but if you're sensible about it, you'll be the best you can be.  I almost always come up lacking when I compare myself to everyone on these running forums, but then I realize that in my actual life, a lot of my friends want to be doing the things I do.  It's all relative.

Scotty-- 3 New Years races starting at midnight!  Very super cool and fun!   Hope you don't freeze though.

JackK- awesome run today!

Steph-  Glad you're feeling better and are back to running.

Kristin-hope you're having fun at the BF's!

Awood-  hope you get some answers on your mothers condition.  Be careful if you get outside to run.

I think I'm back on schedule, and taking my usual Sunday off today.  I'm always amazed at how lazy I feel on my non-running days.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hard to do personals on a phone in a bar while watching football but Steph's back yay!

Must not be too exciting of a bar/game or we are just really cool. I just poured a bourbon and diet 7up.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Zelanie

Back from my 6.  Glad to see Steph again!

Awood- Hope they get your Mom eating and healthy again.

Mitch- I am using a PPfitz HM plan that starts at 30 MPW and peaks at 50.  I've averaged 30 MPW through December, so hopefully I'm ready!

Jack, Cherie, Tomas, Kristin- Hiya!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

No word on my mom's tests yet, but I am heading back up there in a little bit.  I have to take care of her cats first.

AS FOR THE TEST RUN, it felt great.  I opted to play it safe, and run on the treadmill.  I thought I'd be beating myself up forever if I went out on the road, and slipped and jacked things up royally.  I set a time limit on my run of 30 minutes.  I thought that would give me some good feedback.  Twice I felt a mild twinge, or at least thought I did.  When I tried to focus on it, it was gone.  Could be paranoia.  I was focusing on how it felt, and not the face indicated on the treadmill.  I used a slight incline to minimize impact.  According to the treadmill, I was running a 9:03 pace...LOL  I hope that's right.  That would mean that rest made me really comfortable at that pace.

The run is over, and I think I felt a little bit of something when I went to sit down.  I'm icing it regardless.  I'll see how it feels tomorrow, and if all is good I'll go for another run.  I've come to the conclusion that what is going on isn't structural.  If anything, it's a case of slight inflammation.  That wouldn't be a surprise, because I'm genetically predisposed to inflammatory conditions like iritis, arthritis, etc.  I actually started running because my knees get inflamed from inactivity.  Talk about a catch 22.

I'll also continue my icing regimen, taking my daily aspirin, some cross training, and try to make some dietary changes.  If I can keep the inflammation away, I think I can accomplish some pretty cool things.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Planned to run today but my knee is still bothering me Sad

gonna hopefully try for a slow, short run tomorrow.

Down in Maryland at my boyfriend's til New Years. Watching the Giants game now, then we're going to the Redskins (his team) vs Cowboys tonight. Jealous scotty?

I like your boyfriend already! Big grin   Try and find RGIII and give him a big kiss for luck, Kristin! Joking  Damn the Dallas Cowboys!

Darn Houston Texans lost, losing home field advantage for the playoffs.  Idiots.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hola Penguins! How is everyone in our fine feathered colony doing?

Gustav, I’m glad you made good use of that snow and got in some cross country skiing! I’m jealous, I haven’t gone yet this season.

Bin, haha… glad you found a bathroom and finished the run.

Awood, what is up next on your race agenda?  Knee??? What happened?

Traci, good luck with HM training!

Zelanie, enjoy the 6 miles! Good luck with training!

Scotty, how many races did you end up doing in 2012?  Way to go on the 20 mile week!

After being sick for what feels like a life time I’ve finally go answers from the doc and am starting to get back to normal.  My pace is still slower than where it was pre-cold but I’m happy to be back to running.  I finished off this past week (ended yesterday) with 20 miles.  We got about 6 inches of snow last night and I got in 3 snowy miles this am. I hope everyone is having a great weekend and enjoying the end of 2012.

73 for 2012, Steph.   Sorry you were sick, glad to hear you are better. Ugg, running in snow.   When I was in Ohio, I used to take saran wrap, lol, and wrap it from the tops of my running shoes and then around my ankles, up to shin level, to keep my feet dry.  Looked weird as hell, but it worked, snow and slush, etc, did not fall down into my shoes during a run.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty-- 3 New Years races starting at midnight!  Very super cool and fun!   Hope you don't freeze though.

No chance of that, lol, SheCan.  Here are the predicted temps for race time (this will make Damaris jealous Wink )

Midnite 5K:  48 degrees at start time.

8 a.m. Resolution Run: 47 degrees

10 a.m Cobweb Chaser 5K: 55 degrees