Beginners and Beyond

More Sore Mondailies (Read 32 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Walked on the treadmill for about 20 minutes, upper body weights and core.

I played around with Excel today to either make myself feel better or worse about the half. Basically took 9 of the 10 halfs (didn't count the real trail one), looked at finishing time and mileage in the 90 days prior. So with those, average finishing time was 2:11 with 26 miles per week. Top 4 times (2:05-2:09) were 29.83 miles to 35.59, the PR race had the 29.83 average. Slowest 2 were 19-22 miles per week. 2 outliers--2:10 on 13 mpw (I can't explain it) and 2:16 on 33 (knew in mile 1 I didn't have it that day). So it seems to support 30 miles, but not really much over that.

onemile

Cold rain all day. So I ran 7 on the treadmill.

onemile

I played around with Excel today to either make myself feel better or worse about the half. Basically took 9 of the 10 halfs (didn't count the real trail one), looked at finishing time and mileage in the 90 days prior. So with those, average finishing time was 2:11 with 26 miles per week. Top 4 times (2:05-2:09) were 29.83 miles to 35.59, the PR race had the 29.83 average. Slowest 2 were 19-22 miles per week. 2 outliers--2:10 on 13 mpw (I can't explain it) and 2:16 on 33 (knew in mile 1 I didn't have it that day). So it seems to support 30 miles, but not really much over that.

I just can't imagine running over 30mpw would be detrimental to anyone's half marathon time.

No more marathons

I just can't imagine running over 30mpw would be detrimental to anyone's half marathon time.

And the mileage just 90 days before is probably not the real determining factor.  I'd guess (and that's all it is) that its more the mileage for at least 6 months, and maybe even a year, that will make the full impact.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

And the mileage just 90 days before is probably not the real determining factor.  I'd guess (and that's all it is) that its more the mileage for at least 6 months, and maybe even a year, that will make the full impact.

^ This. Plus a whole bunch of other factors. IMHO, higher mileage is a necessary but not sufficient condition for better racing.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

If I looked at the year before, that's probably where it would get depressing. I ran just under 1000 miles in 2014 (no footpod, so my winter treadmill runs aren't recorded). Anyway, the average for my PR probably drops to 25 or less (if you look at the year) and everything from 2016 on (4 races) was 30 or more. So the initial bump in mileage (2014-2015) did something, but after that, nothing.

Docket_Rocket

I agree with all.  I also think 30mpw might be too low for HM peak training.  Have you been doing the same type of training for each or have you varied?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page