Beginners and Beyond

Freedom Run/Walk 5K Report and Photos (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%203%20Freedom%20Run%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

Held on Jan 14, 2016, the Freedom Run/Walk 5K “Superhero Addition” was my 3rd race of 2017.  This event supports Adult & Teen Challenge, which "helps people with addictions find freedom from their addictions and go back to their families and communities as productive drug free adults."  Race location was O. P. Schnabel Park in San Antonio.  Weather was threatening rain – which did hold off for the event – temp at the 9 a.m. start time was around 66 degrees, and it was very humid.  Besides the 5K there was a Kids Run and also a Toddlers Run.  In the 5K, there were 208 finishers, 97 male and 111 female.

Me and friend, Karen....I finally figured out how to get in the last word with her...

photo 012_zpsvgrr7juk.jpg

Karen and friend Cheryl

photo 016_zpsobnd0b4i.jpg

They're so nice, letting an old man lean on them...

photo 018_zps7horgisr.jpg

Photo bombed by a mascot, lol

photo 019_zpsy9dtwqyk.jpg

Karen, with our friend Arturo...can never catch him smiling...he denies it, but I still think he is a Men In Black agent...

photo 021_zpscrjlul8k.jpg

Darn it, Arturo...smile!  

photo 022_zpskwsmq4in.jpg

photo 023_zpsbbnye0dp.jpg

Some pre-start photos of other  various participants, volunteers, supporters, etc.

Sound and more...

photo 008_zps2huwiile.jpg

Our MC

photo 058_zps95eknlgy.jpg

Athlete Guild Folks (first two photos below)  - timing, results, etc.

photo 001_zpsvynhicfl.jpg

photo 002_zps7z45wj9e.jpg

Orange Theory Fitness

photo 013_zpssgst0g8z.jpg

photo 014_zpslajmrjcz.jpg

photo 060_zpsyqmwzk4v.jpg

This guy was not my father.....

photo 015_zps6whwik8p.jpg

And more....

photo 003_zpsebvvsvpa.jpg

photo 005_zpsyakro3tl.jpg

photo 006_zpswn98v7tr.jpg

photo 007_zps7rjniq0n.jpg

photo 009_zpsamrwti3p.jpg

photo 010_zpsxe85f2jp.jpg

photo 011_zpskegqinam.jpg

photo 017_zpse78oxnk9.jpg

This was the very first race of the guy....dude...you picked this hilly course for your first race? 

photo 020_zps5gn40kll.jpg

photo 024_zpsoy8wntmt.jpg

photo 025_zpsxevulysh.jpg

photo 026_zpsmrymqhzt.jpg

photo 027_zpsjpblwdez.jpg

photo 029_zps3ohda7vh.jpg

photo 030_zps6ytsnohr.jpg

ON THE COURSE

This was the first time I’ve done this event, but not the first time I’ve run in this park, so was very familiar with the 5K course.  Start at the parking lot, a bit of an uphill incline, turn left, and a downhill for a bit – including a fairly steep downhill to get to the paved trails below – then some ‘rolling’ terrain out to a turn-around point and back the way we had come up – including having to climb UP that steep hill on the way back, and also up the incline to get to the turn that took us to the finish.  After that turn, it was about ¼ mile down to the finish line.

I ended up with a time of 33:07, averaging a 10-somethig pace, and 5th in my age group of 60 – 69. I had not really expected to place as when I’d arrived at the race site, I saw two pretty speedy guys who were in my age group so knew I would not be getting any ‘default’ medal today. Actually, I never expect to place at any race I do, lol, as I’m more of a fun-runner these days, not a racer, and I really don’t train to place anymore, like I used to many years ago, so it’s a nice surprise for me any time I do.  Either way, medal or no medal, it’s all good, I enjoy my running and what I’m doing these days…having fun, taking photos, and interacting with all these wonderful people I meet at these events.

photo 031_zpsnkruynwf.jpg

photo 033_zpshrdnjriu.jpg

photo 034_zpsxeizd8ee.jpg

photo 035_zpsteud4gbu.jpg

photo 036_zpsk3zyraeq.jpg

photo 037_zpsvl1dmmyy.jpg

photo 038_zpsqxzaxndc.jpg

My pal, Bernadette, heading toward the finish, as I'm heading to the turn-around point

photo 039_zpso3efsexf.jpg

I'm heading back to the finish now...

photo 040_zpsvwhpuiyy.jpg

photo 041_zps0bxcsw2u.jpg

photo 042_zps5gw1zdek.jpg

photo 043_zpsaxgktamu.jpg

photo 044_zpszjov9mwp.jpg

photo 045_zpslsiykvcv.jpg

photo 046_zps3g2cluax.jpg

photo 047_zpsdx9mvnw5.jpg

Karen walking the course, heading to the turn-around...moving so fast, she blurred my photo.. 

photo 048_zps9snjs0f6.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got a couple of photos of some people finishing a bit after me....

photo 049_zpsvdgwpyca.jpg

photo 050_zpswq8qozre.jpg

This guy was 'floating' into the finish photo 052_zpsvtcuxdsi.jpg

The past and present....Old Air Force Retired Guy and Current Air Force Young Guy

photo 061_zps7exzwi3p.jpg

....then got a few race goodies from the vendors at this event, and some water, rehydrated a bit,  and then wandered around taking more photos.

photo 051_zpsre3odb58.jpg

photo 053_zpspm9vkpkd.jpg

photo 072_zps5vvpxdcr.jpg

photo 054_zpsg5d1qflk.jpg

photo 055_zpsfhhi1a8j.jpg

photo 056_zpslp3arglp.jpg

photo 057_zps4fy0iwwm.jpg

photo 062_zpslskhq0jd.jpg

Loved this little guy, he was hoot, enjoyed talking to him...wish I had gotten a photo with him.  Here with his dad and his mom.

photo 063_zpsuwrelhtv.jpg

photo 070_zpso9tfsop6.jpg

photo 071_zpsva0pgtau.jpg

Even got a photo of the young man on the course...

photo 046_zps3g2cluax.jpg

Yay, there IS another Green Bay fan at the event.  Go Packers!

photo 064_zps6cprlid2.jpg

Mr. Green Bay fan even got a medal....

photo 073_zpsxcffhqyr.jpg

Me and pal, Bernadette, who was first overall female Masters

photo 066_zpskzm2c46a.jpg

photo 069_zps3av8usoc.jpg

Love this photo, lol. They all look so happy, even the doggies.

photo 067_zpshqrgju6u.jpg

My friend, Albert, still running strong at 70+....finished in 36-something

photo 068_zpstsamqe92.jpg

EPILOGUE

Unlike last week, when I did the River Run 5K in – BRRRR!  - 26 degree weather with a ‘feels like” of 19, this race was MUCH more my type of weather, lol. I like it warm.  This event has been put on for 4 years now – my first time doing it – and it is really well organized.  I was really surprised at how many vendors were at this one – lots of freebies being given away to participants and volunteers.  No beer though, bummer, I like a nice beer after a race – but I get it, given the purpose of this event, probably not the best locale to have beer around.  Also there was a massage therapy company there – sorry I forget the company name – for pre-and-post massages, and local music station 97.1 doing sound, etc.  Lots more great sponsors and vendors out there, so many I can’t remember them all.  Nicely designed cotton race shirt for participants and volunteers.   This was a very enjoyable experience and event for me; I definitely would do it again and recommend it to fellow runners, walkers, run/walkers, etc.

MUCHO THANKS to all the people who made this one happen for us, volunteers, all the sponsors/vendors, law enforcement/park police, Athlete Guild for doing timing/results/course setup, and many more.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt