Beginners and Beyond

Thursdailies Ready for it? (Read 35 times)

Cyberic

That's about the average American daily caloric intake, before dinner. lol

I need to study what the average American eats! Maybe that's the holy grail I've been looking for. It was right there, just under my nose, the whole time

Cyberic

I'm saying this because a local guy took part of the World Marathon Challenge: 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days, and it was sleep deprivation that was hardest, but he also had a very hard time getting all the calories in. That was 7 days. Only marathons, not IM events.

LRB

I need to study what the average American eats!

She told you!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm saying this because a local guy took part of the World Marathon Challenge: 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days, and it was sleep deprivation that was hardest, but he also had a very hard time getting all the calories in. That was 7 days. Only marathons, not IM events.

Dug this out of one of the ultra running groups on FB. Yiannis Kouros is probably the greatest ultra runner ever and holds most of the multi-day world records:

" The research on Yiannis shows that in his Sydney-to-Melbourne 6 day race [544 miles] his daily expenditure ranged from 15,367 kcal on the first day (he believed in starting hard) to 7736 kcal on the 5th day (he progressed to a lot of race walking). His energy intake ranged from 13,770kcal on the first day to 7800 kcal on the 5th day."

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

She told you!

Nice pic, lol! For a while, when I was in school, I ate at McDonald's every day. It was the meal of the day deal, or something like that, and I could get the daily sandwich, fries and soft drink for ultra cheap. Couln't beat that. Never gained an ounce. When it was McFish day, I'd cross the street and get a similar deal on cheap pizza. I'd also drink plenty of beer every day. But I had almost nothing for breakfast, and a school cafeteria meal for lunch. Even with the MacDonald's and beer, I wasn't getting that many calories.

Cyberic

Dug this out of one of the ultra running groups on FB. Yiannis Kouros is probably the greatest ultra runner ever and holds most of the multi-day world records:

" The research on Yiannis shows that in his Sydney-to-Melbourne 6 day race [544 miles] his daily expenditure ranged from 15,367 kcal on the first day (he believed in starting hard) to 7736 kcal on the 5th day (he progressed to a lot of race walking). His energy intake ranged from 13,770kcal on the first day to 7800 kcal on the 5th day."

Ok. So it's doable. I still think it's going to be a big challenge to do it 50 days in a row.

sdWhiskers

I heard about this.  Crazy!

I feel like Let's Run boards tore her apart a few weeks ago. Something about a fake charity and suspect race times. Hard to tell what's real on social media...

LRB

Nice pic, lol! For a while, when I was in school, I ate at McDonald's every day. It was the meal of the day deal, or something like that, and I could get the daily sandwich, fries and soft drink for ultra cheap. Couln't beat that. Never gained an ounce. When it was McFish day, I'd cross the street and get a similar deal on cheap pizza. I'd also drink plenty of beer every day. But I had almost nothing for breakfast, and a school cafeteria meal for lunch. Even with the MacDonald's and beer, I wasn't getting that many calories.

That's not a problem the vast majority of people here have.

We pick on Mac Donald's but of course one could eat there every day and not get fat. It's the general ignorance of not knowing the impact of calories that does people in.

LRB

I feel like Let's Run boards tore her apart a few weeks ago. Something about a fake charity and suspect race times. Hard to tell what's real on social media...

They ripped into Allie Kieffer and she responded on Instagram, saying that she finally made it on Let's Run but not on the front page. She then went through a thread and read every negative post about her.

Docket_Rocket

I did two marathons in two days and that was hard enough between getting my calories back in, hydrating, and recovering before the next one.  I hardly sleep too.  I cannot imagine a week of that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Quickadder

Did you ever try the Cooper 12 minute test?  Run as hard and far as you can in 12 minutes.  Doesn't exactly sound like fun to me.

en.wikipedia.org/cooper_test

I hadn’t heard of this so went to the article. It seems unrealistic that the same criteria apply to all ages 50+. The formula for VO2 max equivalent gave a much higher  figure than I have had elsewhere.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47