Beginners and Beyond

When Do you Retire your Race Shoes? (Read 78 times)

From the Internet.

I feel most like a noob whenever shoe talk comes up. I have no idea when a shoe is "done"; they feel the same to me at mile 1 as they do at mile 500. I have used a 500 mile replacement rule of thumb for no particular reason. I only have 2 pair of active shoes at a time which I rotate. I replaced the last 2 pair at 400, mainly due to the timing of my marathon - did not want to run in 500 mile shoes, or shoes right out of the box. Also I get a lot of wear on the outside right heel, it's really scary how far down it wears, I can't believe it's a good thing to keep running on that.

I also can't tell the difference between most shoes I've tried. I've just been sticking to the same 2 for most of the time I've been running.

You lucky son of a gun Sad I get about 250 out of mine before I start getting weird aches that are only resolved by replacing my shoes.

B-Plus

I start to pay closer attention at around 400 miles. I usually get over 500, but some times I am just too darn excited to bust open a new pair.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

It's not always the right leg.. but weirdly enough, I have minor gait issues on my right leg, too.

I actually see a lot of people who do that,and it is ALWAYS the right leg...

Cyberic

I feel most like a noob whenever shoe talk comes up. I have no idea when a shoe is "done"; they feel the same to me at mile 1 as they do at mile 500. 

I'm like that too. And all of a sudden I have a nagging pain and I blame it on the shoes and change them if they have 400 miles or more. But if the shoes are rather new, and I suddenly get a nagging pain, I run through it and it passes Smile

MTA: But I don't throw them out right away. I start running in new shoes and after a while I put on my old shoes to see how I feel in them. Usually I realize it was a good idea to throw them away, but I have brought shoes back  in my rotation before.

B-Plus

I'm on the fence about wearing my current racers tmw or busting out a new pair. 144 vs 0 miles. I should have broken them out sooner.