Beginners and Beyond

Kids react to Walkmans (Read 82 times)

Hip Redux

Oh, man.  When they got to the part where they had to explain "fast forward", I totally felt old. 

Kids + Walkmans

Docket_Rocket

Oh, boy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

I think their heads would explode if they ever saw an 8-track!

LRB

"You need headphones just to listen to music?  Do you know how messed up that is?"

"I feel so judged right now."

"Oh, my grandma has these."

"It's working.  I feel so accomplished."

"Too complicated."

"I could not imagine living in your guys' days with this."

"You can't run with it, your arm would be like this by the end...."

"This is really heavy"

Classic!

Hip Redux

That kid in particular was hilarious.

Mmmmm...beer

Ahhhh, the memories. Specifically, rocking out to GnR while pushing carts at Pathmark (my first "real" job). That's where my Walkman got the most use. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Rondog65

Definitely makes me feel old, my yellow sport Walkman sits on the treadmill just waiting to be used again someday. Remember the good old days of the boom box, my first car having an eight track.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Love the Half

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

bluerun

Super B****

I don't remember having a similar reaction to my dad's record player...

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

happylily

Snotty kids.

I do not own a cell phone and I always call my son's iPod an iPad. To add insult to injury, the furniture I grew up with is now found at antique stores. Just shoot me now, please.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Rondog65

I felt old when I took my kids to the Smithsonian and they had on display all the things I had as a kid, Commodore computer with audio tape being used to load the computer program, before the 8" large floppy disks, playing lunar lander. Fonzy's jacket (I know where the saying jump the shark originated), ruby red slipper, I am old and need a nap.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Definitely makes me feel old, my yellow sport Walkman sits on the treadmill just waiting to be used again someday.

Oh yeah, I had one of those, with the big gray lock.  I can still vividly remember one of my first "aha" runs with it.  Dawn on a hot summer Sunday, probably 1995, with Metallica's Kill 'Em All  blasting while I zoomed down to the park and back home.  3 miles of learning what 5K pace actually was on the road;  still one of my favorite albums for speed work.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Obviously I am old, because don't you need headphones to listen to music on an iPod?

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Little Blue

Obviously I am old, because don't you need headphones to listen to music on an iPod?

Maybe the difference between old-fashioned headphones and new-fangled ear buds?

I don't remember the Walkman being all that complicated.  Open, insert, close, push button.  I'm old, too.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Maybe the difference between old-fashioned headphones and new-fangled ear buds?

I don't remember the Walkman being all that complicated.  Open, insert, close, push button.  I'm old, too.

The kids seemed surprised that you had to have headphones to get the music. "THIS IS SO COMPLICATED!" Now they know how I feel when presented with an iPhone.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.