Beginners and Beyond

Oh, the Places You'll Go SaturDAILIES (Read 56 times)

StepbyStep-SH

emo-yes WELCOME TO THE DAILIES THREAD! emo-yes

Anyone and everyone can post your runs, cross-training, abdominal work, rest days, race plans, training questions, etc. The only stupid question is the one you did not post. There’s a great mix of beginners and veterans, runners and walkers, and maniacs and returners (from injury, to running, to RWOL). We're all a little crazy here too! While this thread is a terrific source of motivation for runners and serves as outstanding accountability, you’ll quickly find this remarkable group to be highly supportive of all life experiences. So, come on in, put your feet up and stay awhile (not literally)! And whoever is up first is welcome to start the thread and we definitely keep some weird hours around here.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

StepbyStep-SH

Happy birthday, Dr. Seuss! And good morning, runners!

16 miles on tap this morning, with a friend joining me for the middle 10 or so. I'm hoping to put some quality work into the run, but will have to see how she is feeling.

Then I get the house to myself for the weekend, what to do, what to do? Part of what I will do today is help out at a PTO fundraiser at Barnes & Noble. I volunteered to read stories, but haven't heard for sure if that's what they want me to do. Guess I'll just show up and help however I can.

I'll probably also bake zucchini muffins, clean the house and work on a client's newsletter before opening a bottle of wine this evening and enjoying the quiet.

Have a great day, everyone!

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

Good morning fellow runners! I ran 8 miles @ 7:46 pace on a very hilly course yesterday. I have 3.2 recovery miles scheduled for tonight and a 10 mile LR tomorrow. I finally had a full month of running in February.

I am going to order a pair of  Saucony Virrata shoes today. i was very impressed when I tried them on at the store the other night. I will give you a mini review when I get them.

Step - Good morning. Enjoy your 16 miler and your volunteering.

Everyone have a great day! Run long, hard, and fast! God bless you all!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

14 with the running store folks in a bit. It's their long run, but an easy way for me to get miles in before my 20 tomorrow.

Step...have a great run, and enjoy the "you" time.

SUS...good run yesterday...must feel nice getting a full month in. Hope you enjoy the shoes. I did a wear test in the Virrata. I liked the concept, but as a forefoot runner I felt like the lugs were coming through the shoe. Hope they are better for you! Enjoy the recovery miles.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

BruceD555

I have 8 easy miles on tap for later on today with 10x100 strides thrown in at the end for fun. However, right now I'm completely happy to be lounging around the house drinking coffee.

Train smart ... race smarter.

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

Thanks SIAR. I am a heal striker but noticed when I wear minimal shoes I do less of it. I think the shoes really train you to run more on your forefoot. I think minimal shoes also strengthen your lower legs and feet. I will let you know how it goes. I will be rotating 5 pairs of running shoes when I add these to my stable!

14 with the running store folks in a bit. It's their long run, but an easy way for me to get miles in before my 20 tomorrow.

Step...have a great run, and enjoy the "you" time.

SUS...good run yesterday...must feel nice getting a full month in. Hope you enjoy the shoes. I did a wear test in the Virrata. I liked the concept, but as a forefoot runner I felt like the lugs were coming through the shoe. Hope they are better for you! Enjoy the recovery miles.
              LRB

Supp Crew!

I slept a billion hours, me thinks I needed it.  Speed play is on tap this morning, but first things first; something hot, dark, and strong...

Jess runs for bacon

Good morning everyone! Still resting my poor leg. Yesterday I got a most excellent massage. She also recommended I use a steam shower to get the lactic acid out, and what do you know, my mom has one. It was most excellent.

icing right now, popped some Advil too. If it starts to feel better I will go for a walk.

delicate flower

Happy Saturday, B&Bers!  My dog will be spending the weekend at the emergency vet because I am a friggin moron and last night gave her a huge dose of my knee meds  instead of her knee meds.  IDIOT.  She appears to be fine and will get a steady steam of IV liquids while being monitored.  Poor dog's been through a lot lately.

Anywho, I exercised for the first time in 26 days this morning.  Chest/triceps workout, 20 minutes on the recumbent, and some PT.  About 90 minutes total.  It feels great to start getting active again.  Holy crap did I feel weak.  And funky gym-induced body stank, how I've missed you!

Lots of chores to do today.  Have a great weekend! 

<3

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Put out a 6 mile effort, tried for 7 but this stupid cold is making me it's prisoner.

As a face mirrors face in water, so the heart reflects the person.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

LRB

My dog will be spending the weekend at the emergency vet because I am a friggin moron and last night gave her a huge dose of my knee meds  instead of her knee meds.  IDIOT.  

If you really felt bad you would have taken a huge dose of her knee meds to show just how much of an idiot you really are.

Well, I got 28 for temps at the moment, but with wind gusts of 18 MPH (as my man Bruce so astutely warned me about earlier in the week) so the wind chill will be in the low teens.

Whatever.  I am a runner so I am going for a run....

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  16 miles done in South Beach this morning.  Very nice weather too.

Phil, you are not an idiot; otherwise you wouldn't be this worried. Hope she feels better.

have a nice day all!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  I got my 7 last night, with some intervals that kicked my ass!  I did 5 x 3:30 @ 8:34 with a 3% incline.  That's way slower than I "should" run V02Max intervals, but at least for me the incline makes it tough!  I got all kinds of practice bargaining with myself just to get them done, and in the end the agreement I struck with myself was to take 3 minute instead of 2 minute recoveries for the last two.  But they're done, and I have to be getting stronger just for doing them, right?

That's the last of these workouts in my plan- the rest of the V02Max ones are 1200s on the track.  But since hills are my apparent weakness I'm thinking I should find some hillier areas for some of my weekly runs in the mean time.  My half is not too hilly, but the climb that is there comes about at mile 8.  Yikes!  Tomorrow I think I will run my LR on the course to see what that feels like.  Today, though, I just have 5.4 easy with the dogs.

Step- I am so impressed by what you have on your schedule for after your LR!  You go, girl!

SUS- Enjoy the new shoes!  Congrats on a good month of running!

SIAR- Hope you have a good social run!

Bruce- Enjoy the coffee and the run later.

LRB- Hoping you're out there having some speedy speedwork!

lilac- Heal quickly!

Phil- Yikes!  I am so sorry for your poor doggie!  Sounds like she's in good hands!  And your pain meds must be strong if you're mixing up stuff like that!

Gustav- Hi again!

D- LR done and nice weather?  Awesome!

StepbyStep-SH

SUS - Enjoy the new shoes. I'd love to transition into more minimal shoes, but am gun-shy about it, since I think using Asics Speedstars and NB 890s contributed to a PF flareup a year ago. Maybe I should try it again.
                              SIAR - Enjoy the group run, and have a great 20 tomorrow.
                              Bruce - Waiting for the sun to come up is a good idea - it's a bit cool out there this morning.
                              LRB - Hot, dark and strong ... like you? MmmmHmmmm.
                              Lilac - Hope the leg feels better soon!
                              Gustav - I smile every time I see your KISS panda bears.
                              Baboon - Sending hugs for your puppy and a "we all make mistakes" pat on the back for you. It sounds like everybody will be OK.
                              D - Nice way to start the morning! I'm guessing your 16 didn't come with a side order of near-frostbite.
                              Zelanie - Nice job with the hill repeats last night. Those are a staple in Hudson's training (his book is Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon), but since tweaking my ankle a few weeks ago I haven't done as many as I had hoped.

16.25 miles done at 9:42 overall pace, which is OK, but didn't include anything approaching GMP. It was about 9*, feels like -1*, but with no wind it wasn't bad until we stopped for water and bathroom break about halfway through. For some reason, after being inside for a few minutes, the cold really hit my fingers when we went back out. I've been home for an hour and a half and the tips of my fingers still feel tender from the cold.

Docket_Rocket

No.  Mine were in the mid 50s but I was freezing in the wind, if that comforts you!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page