Beginners and Beyond

Time to start another day Penguins its Monday! (Read 29 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

It's nice to be back in the land of internet. Smile  I do like running in the country tho, even if the hills do kick my butt.  My quads are still feeling Saturday's 16 miler (lots of hills with a killer 3/4 mile long hill at the end).  Hope I didn't hose myself for my half this weekend, guess we'll find out.  I wasn't going to do a long run because of my race, but it was so nice out and the path along the river was such a great run, I couldn't resist doing it twice. Smile

8-9 miles later this evening after t-ball practice.

I'm off to catch up on RRs, hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

hog4life

Margo, just my $.02 cents, I think your taper is okay, and IMO, a little less wouldn't hurt either. My last 2 weeks leading up to my February half were 18, and then 14. I was really worried about that, but like Zel said, the training has been done by now.

GinnyinPA

Dave - sounds like a nice run, even though it was longer than planned.  As strong a runner as you are, you'll recover quickly.

Bin - I hope your vacation is going well.  Have you found any good places to run or are you using the hotel treadmill?  I love running in new places.

Jimmy - sounds like a very full and fun weekend, aside from the idiot at the ball park.

Mitch - good job getting in the 5 the day after your race.  Have fun with your mentees.

Awood - Close enough to 50.

Damaris - do you have your own weights, or do you go to a gym?  Do you really think they help with your running?

Kristin - I enjoyed your RRs.

Gustav - another remodeler!  Now that it's warming up, I've noticed a lot of people working on their homes.  Enjoy your rest day.

Margo - you'll be fine with the long runs you've been doing.  As I remember, St. Lukes isn't very hilly.  It's supposed to be a good one for a first timer, and you've been working hard.  (I was supposed to do that one last year, but cancelled thanks to the sfx.)

Zelanie - how does your hip feel?

HopesMom - I'm glad the concert went well.  Good luck with your competitions next weekend.  Should be fun.

Tomas - which ultra was your sister running?  Sounds like you had a good practice run.

Jack - enjoy your rest day.

AFM:  I'm another penguin who's resting today. My sfx site was a bit sore when I woke up, which scared me.  My 5 mile run yesterday took a lot more out of me than I expected.  But then, I didn't run it as slowly as I should have for a recovery run.  Today is actually hot, in the 70's, for the first time this spring.  Our morning walk felt great, and helped loosen me up.  We'll probably take advantage of the nice weather and go for another walk in the park later.

Tomas - which ultra was your sister running?  Sounds like you had a good practice run.

it was called hell's hills in smithville texas. She is getting ready for a 50 miler in june that is in virginia it is at night.

http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=17850

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Ginny, I do Chalean Extreme and I have the adjustable weights at home.  Most of the time I cannot keep up with the workouts because I run so much but when I do, yes, they help my running.  For example, I just ran my highest mileage this year (not ever) and I think the strength training helped with recovery.  I have not even taken a rest day in 2 weeks and I have felt I don't need one...yet.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Did the Brainpower 5K on Saturday (didn't help much with my brainpower, lol) and the Doggie Dash 5K on Sunday morning. My reports and photos are on the main page somewhere.   Today is a rest day.   I may mow the lawn after work. What little lawn i have left, with this Texas drought.  Most of my yard is just weeds and stuff now.

Wow, that is pretty crazy, Jimmy, nutty guy with a gun at a kid's ballfield, sheesh.  Some world!

Congrats on your half, Mitch!   Enjoy the class tonite.

Congrats on the 50 mile week, Awood.  Sounds like you have a very busy but fun weekend.

Hope you get a chance to run, Bin.  Yet, get out there for a run and Tai wan on!  Big grin

Enjoy the rest day, Kristin.

Congrats on the 32 miles, Gustav, and the handyman success!

Good luck, Margo, in getting the 35 miles for the week.   Your taper sounds pretty reasonable to me.

You have a busy week ahead of you, HsM!  Good luck with all the singing and contests...and keep some throat spray handy!

Congrats on your race, Jack, and enjoy the rest day today.

Congrats on the long run, Tomas!   Enjoy some rest today.

Congrats on your 5 miles, Ginny.  I can relate about the 'scary spot', lol.  Every time I get a twinge in my abdomen, I think  I'm having a hernia recurrence.   Luckily,  Gail is around to slap me back into reality.   Enjoy your walk and the nice weather.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Hey pengs!

4 last thursday (although I think I check in that day)

2 Saturday

4 today! We went to the local rails to trails for something different. I have never been on the trail head before. The first 2 miles were a steady incline....so the last 2 miles coming back were awesome......My legs are already sore...well I should say my lower back....must of had poor posturing during the 2 mile incline. It was a good workout though!

Oh and I wore a tank top. It's 71 right now, and it was in the lower 60's when I ran! BEAUTIFUL!! <3

I am going to go back through and read the thread...

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Jimmy--I love watching any little kids play sports! So cute!

Mitch--heading for your RR next!

Awood---can't wait for you 10K you are going to KILL it. Thank god for whoever invented rounding! :-)

kristin--awesome races this weeekend!

Hope's mom-Happy sining!!

Tomas--sounds like an awesome weekend!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

GinnyinPA

Tomas - your sister will enjoy Prince William.  I've done a lot of hiking there and some running.  We've camped there several times and they have a good orienteering course, so I've spent a lot of time there over the years.  The single track is pretty, with a lot of the trail following a nice stream or rolling up and over the densely wooded hills. It gets pretty narrow in spots, but there are also a lot of fire roads that are nice to run.  You should join her, if you can.

Tori - it is a gorgeous day here too.

Tomas - your sister will enjoy Prince William.  I've done a lot of hiking there and some running.  We've camped there several times and they have a good orienteering course, so I've spent a lot of time there over the years.  The single track is pretty, with a lot of the trail following a nice stream or rolling up and over the densely wooded hills. It gets pretty narrow in spots, but there are also a lot of fire roads that are nice to run.  You should join her, if you can.

I think she figured out the he isn't a trail runner and texted me earlier about possibly a new goal. She is scared of a night trail run.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

hog4life

Late checking in, I ended with 6.73. The class was 1.5 and the rest was by myself.

Mmmmm...beer

7.4 miles done, loving this weather, 70* at 10pm! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  Got home late last night.   Going to work on RR today, or maybe at work tomorrow so I will have something to do there.  Still pretty sore from HM, so we will probably take a break for a few days.  It was kind of fun using the FR10 on the flight home.  Awesome splits.