Beginners and Beyond

mondayMondayMONDAY PENGUINS!!! (Read 8 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

In case you missed it, it's Monday!  I'm shooting for faking enthusiasm until I find some actual enthusiasm.  Let me know if you have any to spare!  Still spinning a bunch of plates, from regional awards stuff to samples at work to pressure issues to the show coming up this weekend!  My folks are coming up for the show too, so it's going to be a little crazy.  Luckily I've planned ahead and I'm taking next Monday off work to recuperate a bit.  Woo-hoo!!

And how was that game last night?!  Either way, you can't say it wasn't entertaining!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning. Doctor cleared me up for everything but running. Yay. PT at lunch time.

HopesMom, yay it's Monday!  Can you feel my sarcasm?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Good news, Docket!!  Sounds like running won't be too far off!

PADRunner

SRD Today, and maybe tomorrow too.

GinnyinPA

PAD - injured or just tired from your long run?

D - did the doctor say when you can try running?  Or is it just a matter of seeing how you feel after you start walking?

HopesMom - good luck getting everything done.

It was a beautiful cool sunny day, so Jim, Ben and I headed up to the AT for a short hike.  A late start plus Jim's fall on some rocks meant we were  racing darkness (at turtle speed), but we got back to the car just in time. He's sore, but not too badly damaged. Maybe a little concussed though. He didn't feel like he was safe to drive, so I know he wasn't okay.

Docket_Rocket

He said he was giving me 6 weeks to run, but that he gives all his patients 6 weeks, so he is not expecting me to keep at it.  I have penciled a run on Week 4 and I'll talk to the PT before I try.  The PT just had me do a hard session that I felt was too light, so I suspect she will be increasing me for the next three weeks and at the end of those 3 I'll ask her.

I wouldn't try running yet as I am not completely pain free and all the surrounding areas (hamstring, ITB) are still sore.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

HsM- Now you're one day closer to Friday!  And no more Mondays at work for two weeks!

I was sore all day from all my weekend miles, and was considering skipping the group run (and doing a streak mile instead), but I went and of course had a good run anyway.  5.5 trail miles in the dark with the dogs.  There were coyotes out, but we just heard them, we didn't see them, which isn't too unusual for the area.

D, I'm guessing that the doctor and PT will have to adjust a lot for somebody who's used to being as active as you are.  The PT will probably love having somebody who actually does the activities at home, too!

PAD- Enjoy the RDs.

Ginny- Hope Jim's OK!  Does he walk with trekking poles or anything to help him keep his balance?

PADRunner

PAD - injured or just tired from your long run?

D - did the doctor say when you can try running?  Or is it just a matter of seeing how you feel after you start walking?

HopesMom - good luck getting everything done.

It was a beautiful cool sunny day, so Jim, Ben and I headed up to the AT for a short hike.  A late start plus Jim's fall on some rocks meant we were  racing darkness (at turtle speed), but we got back to the car just in time. He's sore, but not too badly damaged. Maybe a little concussed though. He didn't feel like he was safe to drive, so I know he wasn't okay.

I've got some runners knee creeping in. Standing most of the day Saturday must have aggravated it. It's a taper week so I'm just taking it easy for this Saturday.

GinnyinPA

Ginny- Hope Jim's OK!  Does he walk with trekking poles or anything to help him keep his balance?

He uses a stick (we both do) but we were scrambling up some big rocks to an overlook so not using the poles. Either Ben pulled him off balance or his foot slipped on the smooth rock.