Beginners and Beyond

Black Lives Matters Group Planning Protest at Twin City Marathon (Read 103 times)

RSX

I would ask myself at the finish what would Matt Long do? On phone so can't do link

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I would ask myself at the finish what would Matt Long do? On phone so can't do link

Damn phones.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

music_girl117

Of course it's annoying when protesters block people from doing what they would otherwise do.  It's perfectly ok to be annoyed about it! The whole point though is to get people to THINK about a topic they might not otherwise think about.  We had some protesters block traffic in my area a few years ago (ironically, and sadly, for exactly the same reason: a local policeman shot and killed an unarmed black man).  The protesters made people late getting home for dinner, heading out to the kid's concert, etc. that evening.  Yes, it is aggravating to have your plans change like that, but does that really matter compared to innocent people being killed?  And not just innocent people, but a particular race and gender being more likely to be killed that way than others.  As a white woman, I do not have to worry about being shot by a policeman even if I argue with him.  Full stop.  Black men do.  That is not right.

So I guess I'm not quite buying the "they are assholes" argument.  Blocking ambulances would definitely be a problem, but I find it hard to believe that a group that is advocating *against* death would do that.  Did they actually say that they would, or is that speculation and "what if"?

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Googling Twin Cities Marathon and the first page is littered with this stuff, the first interviewed a woman with last name Oliver who said it right - this is more about disturbance than anything and she won't stand behind that. And she normally protests with this particular group.

But again, I am just going to wait and see what happens.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Here is what's weird, there are in fact two Facebook groups - St. Paul Black Lives Matter and Saint Paul Black Lives Matter. But with BLM before the city.

First one claims to be the official group and have no plans to protest at race and didn't protest at the vikings game or fair. The page owner or leader claims that Rasshad Turner is not part of the actual group or something but he is the one claiming that they plan to protest at the race and did at the fair and game.......  confusing... and worrisome.

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Of course it's annoying when protesters block people from doing what they would otherwise do.  It's perfectly ok to be annoyed about it! The whole point though is to get people to THINK about a topic they might not otherwise think about.  We had some protesters block traffic in my area a few years ago (ironically, and sadly, for exactly the same reason: a local policeman shot and killed an unarmed black man).  The protesters made people late getting home for dinner, heading out to the kid's concert, etc. that evening.  Yes, it is aggravating to have your plans change like that, but does that really matter compared to innocent people being killed?  And not just innocent people, but a particular race and gender being more likely to be killed that way than others.  As a white woman, I do not have to worry about being shot by a policeman even if I argue with him.  Full stop.  Black men do.  That is not right.

So I guess I'm not quite buying the "they are assholes" argument.  Blocking ambulances would definitely be a problem, but I find it hard to believe that a group that is advocating *against* death would do that.  Did they actually say that they would, or is that speculation and "what if"?

If they want people to think about it, the site and object of the protest should have some relationship to the cause. This doesn't. As a result the discussions barely mention the cause, generate negative views of the group, and in general have no positive effect.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If they want people to think about it, the site and object of the protest should have some relationship to the cause. This doesn't. As a result the discussions barely mention the cause, generate negative views of the group, and in general have no positive effect.

Exactly. Over in the racing forum there is a similar thread, spinach (a member on here ) said they talked to someone with the group who says they don't plan to block the runners' path but just want them to see their signs and gain attention for their cause. I hope this is true....

PRs

music_girl117

Well, I would say that being "detained" when you are just going about your business, having done nothing wrong, is in fact what minorities face, at times, from cops. Being stopped in a race would be a much less scary version though.

Is it the best way to raise awareness?  Probably not.  I am not an expert in how to communicate an issue to a different audience.  But I guess I don't blame them for trying something big.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Well, I would say that being "detained" when you are just going about your business, having done nothing wrong, is in fact what minorities face, at times, from cops. Being stopped in a race would be a much less scary version though.

If the marathon organizers decided to prevent every runner wearing orange shoes from finishing, that might be comparable. What the BLM proposes is more like being mugged while going about your business.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Officials have stated that they will arrest or stop anybody who tries to disrupt the race Smile hopefully that warning is enough to make Rashadd Turner decide to just line the roadside with BLM supporters and signs, not form a blockade.

I've read enough negative words (from BLM leaders from different "chapters") on that egotistical jerk to know he is bad news, especially  for BLM's cause.

PRs

Whaddya know.

Protesters will demonstrate at but not interfere with marathon

Black Lives Matter plans to protest near finish line.

After meeting with St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman, organizers of a protest at Sunday's Twin Cities Marathon say they will go ahead with a demonstration but won't interrupt the race.

Black Lives Matter officials said Thursday that city officials listened to their concerns about the police, which was the group's goal.

"I am happy that we have a chance to have this dialogue," Coleman said.

Coleman met privately Thursday morning at City Hall with Rashad Turner, the leader of the St. Paul Black Lives Matter group, for more than two hours. The mayor had asked for a meeting before the race.

"Our voices are being listened to," Turner said, after the meeting.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Whaddya know.

Protesters will demonstrate at but not interfere with marathon

Black Lives Matter plans to protest near finish line.

After meeting with St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman, organizers of a protest at Sunday's Twin Cities Marathon say they will go ahead with a demonstration but won't interrupt the race.

Black Lives Matter officials said Thursday that city officials listened to their concerns about the police, which was the group's goal.

"I am happy that we have a chance to have this dialogue," Coleman said.

Coleman met privately Thursday morning at City Hall with Rashad Turner, the leader of the St. Paul Black Lives Matter group, for more than two hours. The mayor had asked for a meeting before the race.

"Our voices are being listened to," Turner said, after the meeting.

Did you do this on your phone? If I was at a computer I would've posted links and quotes, but my phone drives me up the wall sometimes.

PRs

Did you do this on your phone? If I was at a computer I would've posted links and quotes, but my phone drives me up the wall sometimes.

This one was on a computer. Copied & pasted from the article on the site.

The "link" icon goes away on your phone, but theoretically if you type in a URL, it is supposed to automatically becomes a link (not sure if that always works).

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

This one was on a computer. Copied & pasted from the article on the site.

The "link" icon goes away on your phone, but theoretically if you type in a URL, it is supposed to automatically becomes a link (not sure if that always works).

My phone is a pain in the ass, sometimes I can copy and paste something but if I accidentally touch a part of the screen, it all goes to hell. So normally I just wait until I am at a computer to do it.

PRs