Beginners and Beyond

Late winter half (Read 39 times)

No more marathons

I'm looking for a half marathon in late Feb or March.  Want to get out of the hills of Western NC but only want a one day trip (no overnight) so SC seems the best bet.  Here’s ones I’ve found:

1. Seneca SC on March 21. This will be their 5th.  The course has two 100 foot climbs over a half mile or so (one at 2, the other at 7) and a few other shorter hills.  This event only had 111 finishers last year and the age groups were by five until 60 then it went 60 to 99 (WTF?).  Course has lots of turns and two out and backs that require 180s. Drive time – 1 hour 18 minutes  (I’m thinking not.)
    2. Newberry SC, also on March 21. This is their second year and last year had 299 finishers with the 60 to 64 age group winners coming in at 1:41, 1:44, and 1:46.  Course is USATF Certified and is a loop course with about 18 turns, but most are in the first 8 miles and only 3 in the last 3.  No hills or elevation changes to speak of but there might be a short down and up of about 100 feet at mile 11 to 12 (yuck).  Drive time – 2 hrs 10 minutes.  
    3. BB&T Corporate Cup Half in Charlotte, NC – March 7. (Yeah, I know – Charlotte is not in SC). This one has been going on for 35 years.  Map my run has a total gain of 511 feet over the 13.18 miles – so mostly flat.  A loop course with only about 10 turns.  This one had about 1,052 finishers last year with the 60 to 64 age group winners in  1:39, 1:56, 2:02   Drive time:  2 hours 24 minutes
    4. GHS Greenville Half – February 28th. This is (I think) the 4th year for this event which is a point to point from Travelers Rest SC to Greenville SC on the swamp rabbit trail.  There were a little over 800 finishers last year with the 60 – 64 age group winners in 1:44, 1:48, and 2:01.  This starts at about 1,100 feet elevation and finishes ta 930, so a net decline of less than 200 feet.  This is essentially the second half of the Spinx Marathon where I got my BQ in 2012. Drive time:  53 minutes.

Anyone run any of these and have info to offer?  I’m leaning toward the Greenville Half, but the one in Newberry might be a little more interesting (maybe more crowd support?).  Maybe register for both and see how the first goes?

MTA:  Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving all.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Little Blue

I don't know anything about these races, but are you too far away for Myrtle Beach?  Not late Feb, I think it's usually around Valentine's Day.  Flatter than flat. Net elevation gain 4" if you have to jump up on the curb.

There is a full at the same time, so it's a fairly large race.  Weather might be iffy, we were there the year it got snowed out, and the next year it was perfect.

No more marathons

I don't know anything about these races, but are you too far away for Myrtle Beach?  Not late Feb, I think it's usually around Valentine's Day.  Flatter than flat. Net elevation gain 4" if you have to jump up on the curb.

There is a full at the same time, so it's a fairly large race.  Weather might be iffy, we were there the year it got snowed out, and the next year it was perfect.

Myrtle Beach would need to be a mini vacation - it's about 5 hours from me.  I also thought about the Tobacco Road half on March 15th, but that is also a good 4 hour drive.

He's a leaker!

Little Blue

Too bad, Tobacco Road is in my back yard.  I run there most weekends.  Although you'd still be better farther south.  March weather can be dicey here.

No more marathons

Was there in 2012 and 2013 as spectators to the marathon. - DS was running and DW and I were there to cheer loudly.

He's a leaker!