Beginners and Beyond

Anybody Rocking a Fitbit? (Read 208 times)

Token Fat Guy

I picked one up last week, and it seems pretty cool (caveat - my version of cool may be different from yours; I played fantasy football for a decade before it was socially acceptable to do so) but a big feature is you can measure your steps against friends.  Anybody want to be friends? Big grin

5K - 29:29 10K - 1:07:52 13.1 - 2:28:36

DentingPavement.com

I picked one up last week, and it seems pretty cool (caveat - my version of cool may be different from yours; I played fantasy football for a decade before it was socially acceptable to do so) but a big feature is you can measure your steps against friends.  Anybody want to be friends? Big grin

Send me one. I will be your friend Smile

What is a fit bit? How much is it?

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

delicate flower

I had to Google what that is.  I see the company is owned by a guy named James Park.  I wonder if it's him.  Tight lips

<3

Jess runs for bacon

I have one, had it for over a year now. I love it.

flarunner

Does it really track sleep?  That's what I would be interested in knowing.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

It does track sleep. I have one but I don't friend anyone or keep up with that aspect of it.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Token Fat Guy

Send me one. I will be your friend Smile

What is a fit bit? How much is it?

It's an activity/step/calorie/sleep tracker.  It's a pretty small little device that can either fit in your pocket, or you can put it in the clip and put it on your belt/bra/etc.

It's $100, but there are no subscription fees.  I had a BodyBugg a few years ago that I used to track activity/calorie burn a few years ago, but it requires a monthly fee to use it.

DentingPavement.com

Token Fat Guy

Does it really track sleep?  That's what I would be interested in knowing.

It comes with a wristband that you put on your non-dominant hand for sleeping.  When you are ready to try to fall asleep you hold the button for a few seconds, and in the morning their website shows how long it took you to fall asleep, how often you wake up throughout the night (apparently I wake up somewhere between 9-12 times in a ~7 hour span, and that's considered 90-95% efficiency), and your total amount of sleep.

The sleep stuff is interesting if you're a stat nerd like me.  I primarily like it because it gives me the other half of the equation.  From now until September I'm trying to lose weight before I start training for my first full marathon, and tracking calories in is easy, but without a device like that I'm never sure what my calories out are.

One benefit of being a big fat guy - I ran 3.2 miles yesterday morning, then had a somewhat active day around the office, had to visit a few rental homes, then had some friends over to watch the NFL draft - I burned just a hair under 4000 calories.  Makes the 2400 in feel not too bad.

DentingPavement.com

Little Blue

My walking buddy has one, and friends with his daughter.  They don't make  a big deal of it, he can't hold a candle to her.

runTDC

I got one about 2 weeks ago, and I love it.  I got the smaller one for $50.  I found out that I walk about 2.75 miles a day as a teacher, which really surprised me.  I also paired it up with another app called My Fitness Pal.  It's cool how the 2 work together.  I put in my weight, age, and how aggressively I want to loose.  I put all food into My Fitness Pal and log my walking into fitbit.  Together, fit bit will tell me how much and when I should be eating to maintain or loose the amount of weight I've set up.  Each week you get an email that summarizes how you did.

What was really cool was that this week the calories in/calories out told me that I would loose about 1.5 lb...and that is what I did loose.  I had been using MFP alone for awhile and I wasn't losing anything.  I kept logging in my exercise  and MFP would let me eat more due to my activity.  With fitbit, there is no guesswork.  Your steps tell the story, whether it's walking or running, and that drives the calories allowed.  I've lost about 4 lbs. so far.

Anyway, while I am not overweight (I am 5'8", and have a BMI of 23)  I needed a little help to make the scale move in the right direction.  This has really worked for me so far.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teresa

Aug—Double Dipsea

Oct 9–R2R Grand Canyon, baby!

2024 goals- Run trails, race a few, get a little faster, gain some endurance, enjoy life…😊

I love mine!!! I have the ONE, and it syncs with my iphone 5 and my fitness pal app!! Thats how I found out that I actually walk almost 5 miles a day at work.  It has helped me lose those last stubborn 5 pounds since it automatically tells me just how much I am allowed to eat for the day!! I love that it tracks sleep too, I wake up multiple times a night but fall right back to sleep apparently!! I always wondered why I was tired when I woke up!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Which models do you have?

I may ask for one for my b day in June. Seems like a cool toy Smile

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

I thought the same.  Especially that sleeping data.

Which models do you have?

I may ask for one for my b day in June. Seems like a cool toy Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Heck if it can log my runs without me having to use my phone, then that could be cool also. It claims to be sweat proof. I bet it wasn't tested in Miami Smile

I thought the same.  Especially that sleeping data.

Tomas

Token Fat Guy

I love mine!!! I have the ONE, and it syncs with my iphone 5 and my fitness pal app!! Thats how I found out that I actually walk almost 5 miles a day at work.  It has helped me lose those last stubborn 5 pounds since it automatically tells me just how much I am allowed to eat for the day!! I love that it tracks sleep too, I wake up multiple times a night but fall right back to sleep apparently!! I always wondered why I was tired when I woke up!

I have an Android so I can't directly sync with my phone, but I linked it to myfitnesspal as well. I think it's great how it updates how many calories I can intake based on activity.

i have the Fitbit One, but if I wasn't intrigued by the sleep tracking I would've gone with the Zip. I was a little concerned about losing it after seeing ~170 reviews on Amazon of people complaining that they lost theirs in a few days. Granted there were over a thousand 5 star reviews, but after a week and change I'm not sure how you could lose it. The clip is very sturdy, and the unit fits into it very snugly.

DentingPavement.com