Beginners and Beyond

Just gotta say...tonight's run sucked.....HARD!!! (Read 89 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Black eye

Haven't had a bad run in a while but tonight was one of 'em.

Felt like I was running with a barbell on my shoulders or something.  Just had no bounce in my step, no speed, no strength, no lungs, no nothin!!

I was tempted to bag it halfway thru but pushed thru.  Very glad when it was over.

Just had to say it cuz I hadn't had one (at least not this bad) in a long time.

Randy

Luke79

Shit happens.  Pushing through it was a good choice.  Now you know your next run will certainly be better, if only by comparison.

Better I Leave

But you did it. Much respect.

Someday's you're the windshield...someday's you're the bug.

Revel in the fact that you didn't give in, pushed through...and finished. Smile

Docket_Rocket

Pushing through those bad runs is what makes us stronger.  Finishing a marathon feels easy sometimes as compared to those runs that sucked monkey balls (or whatever).  Good job pushing through.

Black eye

Felt like I was running with a barbell on my shoulders or something.  Just had no bounce in my step, no speed, no strength, no lungs, no nothin!!

I was tempted to bag it halfway thru but pushed thru.  Very glad when it was over.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

robinde

Good job pushing through it!

No more marathons

Pay attention - that could be your body telling you it needs a break.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Black eye

Awesome that you pushed through, I know how it feels but the barbells are more in my legs on my bad runs. What helps me is to repeat "You have ABSOLUTELY no choice WHATSOEVER",  by the end of my runs I feel like a beast for finishing it and not giving in or bowing out.  Hope your next one is Be-Awesome.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

If you hadn't had a bad run in awhile, then you were due for one. That is why training plans have recovery runs after hard workouts. I ran tempo miles on Thursday night and last night I ran a 15 miler, on the faster side. If I were to attempt even just a GA run today, I know from experience that I would feel like crap and end up saying it was a terrible run. Instead, I will run a very slow recovery run and I'll expect that even that pace won't feel all that great. A run that sucks is often the result of your body telling you it's time to rest a little, so it forces you to slow down. You will be back running strong soon, don't worry. :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Bad runs happen if you run enough.  Nice job getting it done!

<3

Chasing the bus

Mine too. So slow, so long, just not feelin it, HR running much too high for the pace, and to top it off, my knee feels wrecked this morning, not sure I'll be able to run tonight, and my weekly mileage goal is toast. So pass the cheese, got my own whine....

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                      Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Mine too. So slow, so long, just not feelin it, HR running much too high for the pace, and to top it off, my knee feels wrecked this morning, not sure I'll be able to run tonight, and my weekly mileage goal is toast. So pass the cheese, got my own whine....

Ya, feelin better this morning.  I remember the early days enough to remember when the bad ones outnumbered the good ones so I'm definitely grateful for the times gone by and the benefits it brings but a bad run still sucks.

On a weird note, I felt a little twinge on the outer edge of my right quad and was not liking it one bit.  Feels back to normal this morning but had to have the wife rub it out last night cuz I did NOT wanna wake up in the middle of the night with a quad cramp!!!

Cheerio!

Randy

andrew jerald

Black eye

I had mine the other week, went out for 13 miles...Felt like crap around 9 and  walked a little bit, and I decided to finish the run. 12.7 I decided I was done and was sicked for about 3 hours after that run. Guessing it was fuel/heat issue...

runmomto3boys

I know what those feel like.  They make the great runs all that much sweeter, though, don't they?