Beginners and Beyond

RR - Mebane on the Move 5K ~ How'd I do dat? (Read 64 times)

Little Blue

Today I ran in a small 5K in Mebane, NC.  I had done this race with my SIL two years ago.  Recently she realized that, with our current abilities, we could have won awards in our age group last year.  Good enough for us, let's register.

It was a perfect morning for a race, clear and maybe 60 degrees.  The course is rolling hills, nothing major.  I've had a recurrence of my breathing issues from the Spring, so I was just hoping to do well, maybe PR.  And maybe place in my AG. Blush  I ran by feel, pushing hard enough that it was work, but still trying to breathe occasionally.  My legs held out well, breathing was ragged by the end.

Well.

Not only did I place in my age group, I won Grand Master Female, which I have never heard of, but apparently I came in first of all females age 50+.  OK, there were only 8 others, but still.  I finished in 27:47 according to my Garmin, which was 35th place out of 120 runners.

Best of all, I won $40!!

I'm told that makes me a professional runner.  Big grin

Congratulations on your achievement!  Now, you have money to burn in your purse.    Big grin

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

LRB

$40 bucks is a nice haul for racin', and you are a Grand Masters Champion, word!

Way to run to your abilities!

How'd the SIL do? And seeing how it was her idea, did you cut her in on the booty?

delicate flower

WOO HOO, that's awesome!  Of course I trust you'll report those winnings on your tax return next year....

<3

Antipodean

Congrats on the scoop! Enjoy spending.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Congrats Little Blue!

Cash is the best kind of prize.

hog4life

Congrats on the masters and cha ching!

Little Blue

Thanks everybody!

SIL (and her DH) finished, but she didn't do as well as she had hoped.  I sorta shared the booty.  I let her be excited for me, and buy me breakfast. Smile

Of COURSE I will declare it on my taxes.  After I deduct the cost of the race.

Hip Redux

Damn, $40!!  That's pretty sweet!  Congrats Big grin

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

You've been paid!  It's now official........BEER'S ON YOU!!

Big grin

Great job!

P. S.  How did the 27:47 correlate to your PR???

Randy

Little Blue

You've been paid!  It's now official........BEER'S ON YOU!!

Big grin

Great job!

P. S.  How did the 27:47 correlate to your PR???

Previous PR was 28:38.  Set on a flat course with a HUGE hill in the middle.  (Wright Brothers Memorial in Kitty Hawk, if you're familiar.)

LRB

Previous PR was 28:38. 

Winning!  Keep that booty for yourself!

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

Hail to the Grand Master Female! :-)

The course is rolling hills, nothing major.  I've had a recurrence of my breathing issues from the Spring, so I was just hoping to do well, maybe PR. And maybe place in my AG. Blush 

Just hoping for little things, right? Big grin Congratulations! You did awesome and I'm glad your wishes came true!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Zelanie

Congratulations on your win and in winning actual money, too!  In a small race, it can be tough to hold race focus and pace throughout, so don't discount your accomplishment. Smile