Beginners and Beyond

The week after a race and the time between races? (Read 50 times)

twinmom_112002

I completed my first half marathon yesterday. I plan on running a goal race on May 5th. Where do I go from now to keep my training up?

What should I run this week (my weekly runs have been 2 five milers and then a long run). What mileage do I put my long run at starting next week? I felt really strong until mile 9 and then bonked at mile 11. I know I need to up my long runs so that I feel strong all the way and I need to figure out my nutrion (thought I was going to pass out at mile 11.5 which I know means my blood sugar droppped). I didn't train with any gu or nutrition so I didn't want to try it on the course.

My time was 2 hours 36 minutes. I want to at least get under 2:30.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

This week you should really focus on resting and recovering.  If you do choose to run, it should be at a very slow, recovery pace.  Runners that are putting in more miles will do more after a race, but if you aren't running a lot I think you should be conservative.  Instead of your two 5 milers, maybe consider a 2 miler and a 3 miler (even with walk breaks if you want to take them).  If you're feeling good by the weekend, I would suggest no more than 5 miles.

As for where to go with the following week, I'm not sure I saw what your long run was prior to the half.  Honestly, I would guess that your feeling of "bonking" came more from a lack of total mileage as opposed to not doing a long enough long run.  Would it be possible to add an extra day of running to your training plan to get you a little more weekly mileage?  Even one day of 3 miles, possibly with some faster running, would help you out.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I completed my first half marathon yesterday. I plan on running a goal race on May 5th. Where do I go from now to keep my training up?

What should I run this week (my weekly runs have been 2 five milers and then a long run). What mileage do I put my long run at starting next week? I felt really strong until mile 9 and then bonked at mile 11. I know I need to up my long runs so that I feel strong all the way and I need to figure out my nutrion (thought I was going to pass out at mile 11.5 which I know means my blood sugar droppped). I didn't train with any gu or nutrition so I didn't want to try it on the course.

My time was 2 hours 36 minutes. I want to at least get under 2:30.

Adding another day of running and increasing your weekly average may do as much or more than increasing your long run. Another day or 2 of 4-5 miles and bumping up one of those runs to 7-8 miles can help a lot. Also don't overlook the efficacy of tempo runs and intervals. You shouldn't need gu during a HM. Your body should be able to store enough carbs to carry you through 13 miles. It may help with recovery though, Just don't expect to much aid from gu during the race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

twinmom_112002

Okay...so good news on not needing anything because I don't really think my stomach could handle it (which is why I haven't tried yet). I admit I wasn't fully trained for this past weekend (long run only 8 miles) which is why my goal race is in May.

I am having a hard time finding a 4th day to run due to life (working mom of 3 athletes) but its my goal to try and squeeze in at least 3 miles on a 4th day during this next couple of months.

I wasn't unhappy with my pace for the first 9 miles (I stuck with the 2:30 pacers), it was the last few miles that killed me (understandably).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Okay...so good news on not needing anything because I don't really think my stomach could handle it (which is why I haven't tried yet). I admit I wasn't fully trained for this past weekend (long run only 8 miles) which is why my goal race is in May.

I am having a hard time finding a 4th day to run due to life (working mom of 3 athletes) but its my goal to try and squeeze in at least 3 miles on a 4th day during this next couple of months.

I wasn't unhappy with my pace for the first 9 miles (I stuck with the 2:30 pacers), it was the last few miles that killed me (understandably).

With that background it would be hard to say which was more a factor in falling off the pace, low mileage, long run on the short side, or possibly too fast a pace over the first 9 miles. The first two you know you need to work on. The last one is tricky and even more experienced runners can err in picking a pace. Learning to run by perceived effort can help, but that takes time and experience racing. Any number of factors on race day can affect performance. Sometimes those mean throwing goals out the window and taking what you can. Even a minute or two improvement in 4-5 months is a big accomplishment.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MrNamtor

You are aware that you were not properly trained for this event. You yourself and others have pointed to your low mpw and the shortness of your long run.  It sounds like you're running 18 mpw and that almost half of that is your long run. Sounds like you're training this way because of time constraints. It also sounds like that kind of training may be heading you toward injury on the racecourse.

On the other hand, that kind of mpw (with a different kind of plan) would be great for a 5k, even a 10k.  Would you consider racing those instead of the HM if you don't have time for proper training volume? Because it sounds like you're lucky you didn't injure yourself this weekend.

Sorry, I hope you realize I'm just giving you a suggestion/my opinion, not telling you what to race. Personally though, I would never do a HM unless i had been logging in 30+ mpw with long runs of at least 10 miles. But that's just me, a lot of other people do what you are doing. I just see the high rate of injury amongst that group as basically unacceptable. I think from a fitness/health/short race point of view, 18mpw is totally awesome. but not, imo, for a long race like a hm.

twinmom_112002

I totally respect what you are saying...I was following the HH novice half marathon training plan and was planning on doing that for the second half but starting where I left off.

MrNamtor

I totally respect what you are saying...I was following the HH novice half marathon training plan and was planning on doing that for the second half but starting where I left off.

Yes, i know. It's just amazing to look at these plans and see the low mpw. I mean, i realize this is the "novice" plan, but I'd almost think it would be MORE important for a beginner to put in the miles than an experienced runner. It just seems wrong to me. But what do I know? (seriously, what do I know? I'm being honest here, not humble).

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I have registered for my first half in October and a 10 mile race in mid-June, and a few days ago made myself a training plan for the 10 miler based of Higdon Novice 1. I posted it on the forum looking for advice (the thread is titled "Anyone feel like looking at my training plan andgiving feedback?" And I got a TON of great advice on HM prep. No one seemed to be a fan of Higdon's low weekly mileage and only 3 days of running. Take a look at that thread.... a lot of wisdom there that would likely help you too!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

twinmom_112002

Thanks Kristine...I just read your thread and it was super helpful.

Now I just have to play with logistics on how to add a 4th day into my schedule.