Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 14: Harp and Shamrock 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%2014%20Harp%20and%20Shamrock%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 14th race of 2019 was the Harp and Shamrock 5K held on Mary 9 in San Antonio at South Side Lions Park East, part of the San Antonio ‘greenway’ system of parks.  There was also a competitive walk division for the walkers, to they got their own set of award, very nice. This race’s charity beneficiary was Marrow Match this year, an organization seeking marrow donors.  There was also a local animal shelter doing a dog adoption day too onsite.  I gave away a lot of doggie biscuits, lol.  This race is the oldest St. Patrick’s Day race in San Antonio and started out as “Donovan’s Run a few decades ago.   Nice park with off-road paved running trails and a man-made lake. Start time of 8:30 a.m.  With rain and thunderstorms that came into the area on Friday night, race morning on Saturday was dry, but pretty darn humid and the temp was already in the mid-70s by the time we started. I arrived at the park with about an hour to go and got a few pre-start photos.

Man-made lake at the park that includes this fountain. Some nice views at this park.

photo 008_zps2ds1fp7e.jpg

photo 010_zpsig3zdbvj.jpg

With friend and Race Directory, Terry

photo 005_zpsphlf1quq.jpg

Our MC who did a great job

photo 014_zpscwctzfbg.jpg

Good job, Mr. MC!

photo 066_zpsftad3wcl.jpg

My friend, Don and his lovely wife. Any spouse of a runner has to have a lot of patience, lol.

photo 011_zpswro3k3cv.jpg

photo 012_zps7spds8b4.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc

photo 001_zpscsoq6ugy.jpg

photo 002_zps3dkynkqn.jpg

photo 003_zpshuqjfy6v.jpg

photo 004_zpsci4mgu7l.jpg

photo 015_zpsasykssse.jpg

My friend Carolyn, injured by still out there.  She did the course wheeling her scooter along with her good leg.

photo 016_zpsm7yjxfvq.jpg

This is one tall Leprechaun!

photo 017_zpswzrww83f.jpg

photo 018_zpsya6xjmk5.jpg

photo 019_zps6lj6mvh1.jpg

My friend, Ralph.  Walking in his boots as he is preparing to do the upcoming "Bataan Death March" event in White Sands, New Mexico.

photo 020_zpsgfafnaf2.jpg

I think my friends Don and his wife, walk about as fast as I run.

photo 021_zpslt7ty1h5.jpg

photo 022_zpslqzegqys.jpg

photo 023_zpsox6cvoej.jpg

photo 024_zpsiqm7salo.jpg

Scouts were the Color Guard for the National Anthem

photo 025_zpsuobmfk0n.jpg

Bagpipers

photo 026_zps89juv9o4.jpg

In the start area

photo 027_zpsx9h6bken.jpg

photo 028_zps7jdlgt58.jpg

photo 029_zps0taccvdl.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Course was, as said, off-road paved trails in the park, with us going out one way past the park’s lake and coming back around the lake another way to finish. There was also a wooden bridge we crossed, going out and coming back. Course was mostly flat, with a couple of up-and-down inclines near the halfway turn-round point.  I ended up with 33 minutes and change, which was good enough for 2nd place in my age group of 65 – 74.  I guess all the speedy folks in my age group were doing other events, lol.

On the other side of the lake now

photo 030_zpsbpz5l1ui.jpg

We crossed a wooden bridge over the creek, so now we are at the stage of 'over the river and through the woods.."

photo 031_zpsn2fkstod.jpg

photo 032_zpsbqj70m9o.jpg

photo 033_zpsaumawtze.jpg

photo 034_zpsm4nwfrnj.jpg

photo 035_zpsqp6wmjgy.jpg

Made the turn-round and heading back to the finish.  This was our downhill on the way out and our uphill on the way back.

photo 037_zpsdr5de7f1.jpg

photo 038_zpsd0rxbfji.jpg

photo 039_zps2k44hvz6.jpg

photo 040_zpszie3vykp.jpg

photo 041_zps1njrg9ci.jpg

photo 042_zps2mq7ysqc.jpg

photo 043_zpsilnjz4xj.jpg

Right after i was done, got a few photos of some people coming into the finish

photo 044_zpsx10ggrpf.jpg

photo 045_zps3ddczbye.jpg

photo 046_zps3ql9eumg.jpg

photo 047_zpsgzy4apxl.jpg

photo 048_zpsrwpwztk0.jpg

photo 049_zpsfe7ol6ol.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got back into my dry shirt that I had put aside before the race started and wandered around getting some after-photos. Lots of people in colorful garb, and there was a contest for best ‘green’ male and best ‘green’ female. There was even a contest for the dogs too, lol, which a fashion-sensed dachshund dressed in green won.  Post-race goodies included Guinness on tap and Kiolbassa sausage wraps, as well as various treats such as cookies and various snack foods. And a good time was had by all.

photo 050_zpslw0vxmr7.jpg

photo 051_zps7puhmilm.jpg

Found the Guiness!

photo 054_zpslt60gm87.jpg

Oh yeah...

photo 056_zpsoq6dsf6o.jpg

photo 062_zpsxs41zuyi.jpg

photo 065_zpswqi61bzt.jpg

photo 052_zpscxbcfihg.jpg

photo 053_zpsfstog0ua.jpg

photo 057_zpsobyzckbd.jpg

photo 058_zpsabjeyuvx.jpg

photo 060_zpsnkj26pru.jpg

BEST WISHES! My friends here told my my photo would be their first "engagement photo" since they just got engaged today.

photo 061_zps4w5yorhj.jpg

photo 067_zpsah3ysmni.jpg

This lady won the "Most Green Woman" prize.  She ran the whole course too in that outfit, wig-and-cape, on this humid morning.

photo 068_zpsv3pceszt.jpg

Orange Beard guy was the Best Green Man

photo 069_zpsoe0xbdw1.jpg

photo 070_zpsopgsstxp.jpg

photo 071_zpsbngyvftp.jpg

photo 072_zpsis3x57va.jpg

Age group placer

photo 075_zpsces4zs5r.jpg

My friend here said this was souvenir hair from the last guy that annoyed her.  Note to self:  Don't annoy Gabby.  lol.

photo 073_zpsxkiw1m5r.jpg

photo 074_zpsz1s2sp7p.jpg

2nd in my age group

photo 076_zpst7k6bgtf.jpg

Ladies making me look good.

photo 078_zpsbnssakdf.jpg

My friend here was first overall in the competitive walker category.

photo 081_zpsag77xb4p.jpg

With friend Carolyn who completed the course, bum leg and all.  A bit dark since we were in the pavilion.

photo 083_zps1s5bvpad.jpg

photo 086_zpsayxaynts.jpg

EPILOGUE

One of my favorite events of the year.  Race Director Terry and his volunteers always do a great job with this one. Nice quality race shirts and for the age-group winners, they got not only a medal but a pretty nice quality cap.  Really nice post-race goodies and a very nice race venue.  Will continue doing this one in the future and would definitely recommend it to others.

Thanks very much to all the people who made this one happen for we participants:  Race Director, volunteers, bike leads, park police and EMT folks that were out there, and anyone else I may not have mentioned her.  Thank you all!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Looks like people had a lot of fun at this one!

I love the fact that everyone dresses up. Looks like fun.