Beginners and Beyond

Received email from June 14 Race Director - I have a question (Read 112 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

So as I mentioned in the dailies yesterday, I got my butt kicked on the Indian-Celina Challenge course or better known as the Two Lakes Loop in Hoosier National Forest. I admit I enjoyed the butt kicking though I am sore, and it made me realize that I need to get back to training on hilly trails more as I was seriously out of shape for these. What upsets me is that I get an email this morning from the race director that he regrets to inform me the 2014 race has been cancelled, I'll be refunded but that isn't the point!!!  I was really looking forward to challenging myself at this race but... they gotta do what they gotta do - he stated it was mainly due to low pre-registration numbers.

I still plan on hitting Audubon Park for their brutal hills once a week as soon as possible, because I need the conditioning. But dang it!

After going over this email a few times..... and getting a warning from Gmail that this message may not have been sent by Chris Hollinden (due to authentication...whatever). I am now questioning whether this is really from him. I'll paste it on here for you guys to check out, but my main suspicion comes from the sentence that tells me I will be refunded my fee and processing fee with exclamation marks behind it.

This message may not have been sent by: chrishollinden@gmail.com  Learn more  Report phishing

Dear Andrea,

I regret to inform you that the 2014 Indian/Celina Challenge has been cancelled.  Please know this decision was not easy to arrive at.  While many factors were weighed in this, very low pre-registration numbers was the final tipping point.

We vow to reevaluate the race situation next year and will consider looking at new options to create a new adventure for everybody!!

You will be refunded your $54.31 registration fee AND your processing fee!!  If you do not receive this within two weeks, please contact me at (812) 719-3644.

As always, thanks for your understanding.  We have thoroughly enjoyed hosting this great event for 6 years....but now it's time for something new!

Keep Running,
    Chris Hollinden
    Katie Weyer

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

#artbydmcbride

It looks legit to me.   Now if it had included a link and asked you to verify your information...then it would have seemed like a phishing scam.

Runners run

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

True, but what is weird is that their website is still letting people register and it isn't saying anything about being cancelled.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

delicate flower

Contact him via the event website and ask if the e-mail is legit.  It looks ok to me...it's not asking you to take any action other than wait for a refund.  Usually scammers will ask you to click a link and/or verify data.

<3

Contact him via the event website and ask if the e-mail is legit.  It looks ok to me...it's not asking you to take any action other than wait for a refund.  Usually scammers will ask you to click a link and/or verify data.

+1

Not sure if it's legit but it isn't phishing. He isn't asking for you to do anything at all. Wait a couple weeks and see if your entry is refunded and if it isn't give him a call.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I emailed him and called, I'll wait and see if he gets back with me. If emails me letting me know it is legit and true, or calls me then I will know without a doubt and can go pout lol.

PRs

What is the name of his organization?  Phantom races are unfortunately an all-too-common scam.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It's the Indian-Celina Challenge, www.runperrycounty.com and they've had this race going since I think 2008. They had a 13.1 mile distance and a 26.2 mile distance which did the loop twice. He emailed me stating that it is in fact cancelled and they would be coming up with something different for next year which I assume means the marathon and half marathon are cancelled indefinitely.......

What is the name of his organization?  Phantom races are unfortunately an all-too-common scam.

PRs

Ok, probably not a scam if this is him -- an assistant principal.

http://www.tellcity.k12.in.us/olc/teacher.aspx?s=79

Would be far to easy to publicly make a stink.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It sucks, maybe I jinxed it by running the course Sunday? lol

Ok, probably not a scam if this is him -- an assistant principal.

http://www.tellcity.k12.in.us/olc/teacher.aspx?s=79

Would be far to easy to publicly make a stink.

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

+1.   I'd just go to the website and contact the race folks through their contact info on the site and then see what they tell you.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

#artbydmcbride

It seems early to cancel due to low numbers, they still have early bird pricing on the web site.  Maybe everyone will sign up last minute!!

Runners run

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That's what I was thinking, but this morning www.indianatrailrunning.com emailed me with the same notice. And you'd think they would update the website.

It seems early to cancel due to low numbers, they still have early bird pricing on the web site.  Maybe everyone will sign up last minute!!

PRs