Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES (Read 30 times)

If you want your mind blown by a Chris Nolan movie, the #1 choice should be Memento. And #2 is The Prestige. Shit he did before Interstellar, Inception, or any of the Batmans.

Dave

Zelanie

I liked Inception and Memento.  My memory is so bad I'm sure I could watch it again and be totally surprised by everything all over again.  I haven't seen The Prestige, maybe I'll check that out.  Damaris can stick to the Daddy Yankee version. Smile

Docket_Rocket

I saw it after the discussion here as well, about two months ago. It was longer than it needed to be but it wasn't as bad as I feared based on the reviews.

Of course, a ton of that shit would/could never happen and it was pointless trying to lay a scenario in which some of it would. For me, the best movies leave all that stuff up to interpretation.

But yeah, it was far out and I went there with it. That whole timeline differential on that one planet and how they got screwed there was gripping. Those tall ass waves were trippy too. When the plot finally fell into place it was great. That scene at the end in the hospital was awesome.

Overall, I liked it.

I found the ending too predictable.  I even kind of knew who she was from almost the get go.  I didn't find any surprises in the movie; just same old attempts at being clever.  Maybe I read too much fiction, ha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I liked Inception and Memento.  My memory is so bad I'm sure I could watch it again and be totally surprised by everything all over again.  I haven't seen The Prestige, maybe I'll check that out.  Damaris can stick to the Daddy Yankee version. Smile

Hahahaha.  Only you and I will know what you mean there.  Prestige!

I liked Inception.  I saw Memento too long ago to even remember it well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Heh. It would be like watching yourself. Actually DW is a lot like that too; she can never remember whether she saw something, and I have to describe it in great detail before it comes back to her. One time (back in the Blockbuster days) she brought home a movie she thought sounded good. I had to inform her we had already seen it, and didn't like it.

I recently re-watched Memento with my daughter, seeing it for the first time. So cool.

And I def recommend The Prestige. Really good. And not sure of your taste in leading men, but between Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale, you ought to be able to find something to your liking.

Dave

LRB

I loved Inception. I'm big into dreams and the subconscious mind so it was right up my alley. I was also intrigued by the individual characters and the actors that portrayed them. I thought it was perfectly cast.

Of his Batman trilogy, I really liked the first one. The other two were good too, I just liked it more.

Memento is on my to-see list. I'm not sure I've ever heard of The Prestige but I'll put it there as well.

Docket_Rocket

Heh. It would be like watching yourself. Actually DW is a lot like that too; she can never remember whether she saw something, and I have to describe it in great detail before it comes back to her. One time (back in the Blockbuster days) she brought home a movie she thought sounded good. I had to inform her we had already seen it, and didn't like it.

I recently re-watched Memento with my daughter, seeing it for the first time. So cool.

And I def recommend The Prestige. Really good. And not sure of your taste in leading men, but between Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale, you ought to be able to find something to your liking.

Oh, yes.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

So, I was sent to Broward as the security alarm (panic button) in the meeting of creditors room had been on since last Friday.  Since it's a federal courthouse, FPS (I call them the SWAT of the US, those guys are fucking scary), had noticed no one was in the room and they asked us to come by to turn it off (since they can't).

So, I get there at lunch and my coworker instructs me to put a key into the panic button to turn it off.  Nope, this panic button has no key anymore and I ended up turning the alarm back on.  All of a sudden I'm there working on it and see a shadow looming outside the room and I see at least 5 FPS guys there wondering why I am in distress, oops.  Thank you, retired analyst, who gave us no instructions to turn that shit off.  Took me two hours to figure it out with the FPS guys.

Oh, and the alarm is silent so no one knows we are calling the guys for help.  Only way to find out you activated it is when you see FPS showing up guns blazing.  Oops.

I had lunch at 3pm, gah.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

4 easy miles. My legs just felt sluggish.

My dog spun in circles when we ran the blender. No other household items really bothered her.

Onemile, yikes, Bruno goes after chain saws?

No more marathons

Agree that Memento is a great flick.  I'll check into The Prestige.

Ran about 3.6 at a (for me) fairly good pace.

Must admit - I'd rather run short and fast(ish) than long and slow.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

Agree that Memento is a great flick.  I'll check into The Prestige.

Ran about 3.6 at a (for me) fairly good pace.

Must admit - I'd rather run short and fast(ish) than long and slow.

But when you're slow all the time, I would prefer long than short. Wink

Damaris

Fundraising Page

LRB

I'm not sure I've ever heard of The Prestige but I'll put it there as well.

I just read up on it and remember it well. It was released October 20, 2006, which coincided with the Detroit Tigers return to the playoffs after a 19 year stretch of some of the worst baseball in major league history.

I attended two games that post-season; game 3 versus the New York Yankees, Friday October 6, and game 3 versus the Oakland A's, Friday October 13. Both Kenny Rogers' victories, who was lights fucking out that year. Anyway, game 1 of the world series was October 21st (a day after The Prestige was released) and it ran through the 27th. Given the way that baseball fever took over here that year, and given the way they lost to the St. Louis Cardinals in the world series, I can see why I didn't make it to the theater to see that movie or had no recollection of it.

Not that any of it matters to anyone here. I was just curious.

From the Internet.

My body is dead. Hills replaced the usual track intervals for the club workout today - we have a loop that we refer to as "the snake" and it is a deadly snake.

I just read up on it and remember it well. It was released October 20, 2006, which coincided with the Detroit Tigers return to the playoffs after a 19 year stretch of some of the worst baseball in major league history.

I attended two games that post-season; game 3 versus the New York Yankees, Friday October 6, and game 3 versus the Oakland A's, Friday October 13. Both Kenny Rogers' victories, who was lights fucking out that year. Anyway, game 1 of the world series was October 21st (a day after The Prestige was released) and it ran through the 27th. Given the way that baseball fever took over here that year, and given the way they lost to the St. Louis Cardinals in the world series, I can see why I didn't make it to the theater to see that movie or had no recollection of it.

Not that any of it matters to anyone here. I was just curious.

Pine tar!

Dave

LRB

Pine tar!

Joe Buck!

: obsessed homer :