Beginners and Beyond

Week 13 Penguins are taking a deep breath and moving on to the next project!! (03/24-03/30) (Read 7 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

I can't believe it's the end of March already!!  Actually, I'm a little freaked out by that, because my next big project is due by the end of April, so eek!

Contest was good, bad, up, down, encouraging, disappointing, and pretty much everything in between.  The quartet did quite well -- we accomplished what we wanted to on stage.  We still came in second from last, which is where we placed last year, but we improved by 51 points, which is freaking amazing!  So that was pretty much entirely positive.

Then came chorus contest.  My director made a last-minute ill-advised decision to sing our first song MUCH faster than we had practiced it, meaning that instead of doing all the things we'd focused on for months, we were instead focused on just keeping up with the tempo.  And the judges comments, though couched in positive language, pretty much pointed out that we were singing too fast and it kept us from doing good things with the song.  Our ballad was also too fast, though I don't think we sang that faster than we'd practiced it.  It's just that our director tends to be a bit gun-shy about having quiet spots in ballads, so she tends to push the tempo rather than teach us how to energize a quiet spot with emotion and poignancy, so we got comments on that too.  We placed last by about 75 points.  The judges' comments, though, could easily be read in a positive light -- everything related to the uptune being too fast we could discard, because that was a single last-minute decision.  But all of the "you have occasional sync problems" means that we occasionally DON'T have sync problems, which is improvement.  And nuances like "not everyone is choosing the same spot on a note" is much better than in the past, where we've gotten comments like "there are wrong notes here".  So there were many good things, but we had to work to see them.  It's ok.

Now I'm trying to get something done that has to be finished by noon, but I'm waiting on someone else's input.

Oh, and I biked and did yoga this morning.  Woo-hoo!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  I was going to start the thread yesterday but I forgot (*facepalm emoji).  I have 9 miles tonight with different sets of HMP.

HopesMom, great improvement!  Hoping the next competition is even better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, all!!  My morning was dragging a little today, partly because I fixed myself a salad for lunch (more prep than if DH pops some leftovers into a tupper), and also because I just don't like having my mornings start at 5:30.  Oh well.

So no yoga today, but I did bike, and it's a lovely day outside, though still a bit chilly.  Highs around the mid 50's.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!  I'm hoping we don't do much more than watch the video and talk over the judges' sheets.  It's all good.

Docket_Rocket

Nice job on the bike and food prep.  I don't even have time for getting ready, least of all prep anything, lol.  RD for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I have been getting my miles in. I got fitted for new running shoes and the lady put me in a stability shoe. That was no good. I could tell within 2 minutes of running that they weren’t great. Going to exchange for a neutral shoe. I didn’t realize it was a stability shoe at the store because I’m unfamiliar with new balance shoes. They didn’t have a treadmill in the store so unfortunately I didn’t figure this out until too late.

how many miles do you usually run in shoes before you race in them? I only have 3 weeks until my half. Worst case I’ll just run it in my current shoes which feel fine but are getting up there in mileage.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

I posted yesterday but somehow it disappeared.

HM - I would have been furious at the choir director. Did she apologize at least for throwing you under the bus?

Jill - I usually have 20-50 miles on my shoes before a race. If they are shoes you're familiar with, then the only issue is if you got one with a manufacturing defect that rubs your feet. That is pretty easy to figure out. If it's a new shoe, I'd want at least one long run on them to make sure they work over the long haul.

I ran 5 at the local county park.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I only have one 10 mile training run left. Maybe I’ll just run the half in my current shoes. Or maybe I’ll roll the dice. My current shoes are working fine just have a lot of miles on them.

I posted yesterday but somehow it disappeared.

HM - I would have been furious at the choir director. Did she apologize at least for throwing you under the bus?

Jill - I usually have 20-50 miles on my shoes before a race. If they are shoes you're familiar with, then the only issue is if you got one with a manufacturing defect that rubs your feet. That is pretty easy to figure out. If it's a new shoe, I'd want at least one long run on them to make sure they work over the long haul.

I ran 5 at the local county park.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Profusely, profoundly, and with tears.  She's one of my besties, so I wasn't furious, but actually more concerned that she would just rip herself to shreds over it, agonize, and not be able to learn from it and move on.  But I think she's in a good place.

No biking today because of chorus rehearsal tonight, but hey, there's chorus rehearsal tonight!  I did get my yoga in, which was nice.  I always have to goose myself to get going, but then I'm always glad I did it.  Kinda like running! 

Singer who runs a smidge

I only have one 10 mile training run left. Maybe I’ll just run the half in my current shoes. Or maybe I’ll roll the dice. My current shoes are working fine just have a lot of miles on them.

Not exactly knowledgeable, here, but I would agree that the old shoes would be a better idea.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  I ran 13 on the TM and heading to Pilates after work.

HopesMom, good luck with the rehearsal and hoping things are better with your friend/director.

Ginny, nice 5.

Jill, I would say depending on the shoe/model. I have run marathons with shoes that had 3 miles on them and never tried them before, and it was fine, but other shoes take a bit for my legs to get used to.  If it's the same model you're accustomed to it shouldn't be an issue; if it's a new model, I agree, use the old pair.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Halloooo!!  Well, chorus rehearsal last night was good -- we didn't do a contest rehash, but instead started working on a couple of new fun songs.  So, good times.  Yoga, biking, check.  And, after a few days of feeling that my back was quite stiff, I happened to think, "Hey, I have a foam roller!"  So I spent a few minutes getting reacquainted with it.  I swear, I am (sometimes) a genius, but only in slow motion. 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  It's my Friday off so I just woke up, ha.  7 miles tonight.

HopesMom, glad there was no rehash and that you got new songs.  Glad you were able to work out this morning.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I ran with my new shoes this morning. They feel perfect on my right foot but a little weird on my left. I think I just need to work on lacing my left foot tighter. My left foot is about half of a size

smaller than my right.

im supposed to run 10 tomorrow. I want to do it before the rain because the park where I run doesn’t have great drainage, but there’s a forest fire and it is a bit Smokey outside. I guess I’ll see how it is in the morning and make a game time decision.