Beginners and Beyond

Am I the only one that doesn't feel like racing since the bombings? (Read 201 times)

MrNamtor

what you went through was an ordeal that you will remember for the rest of your life. As painful as it must be, it's no doubt made you a better person for sure, probably a better nurse too.

Like everyone else has said, give it time. Your feelings will change. Maybe in the future, racing will be even more special to you because of what you saw and went through.

Lot's of hug.

Rondog65

Hillary I would recommend taking part of the Critical Support Team, you should have access via the BAA group or through your work.  Peer support that remains confidential.  Used our local team when I had to deal with a 12 year old that was killed by a motorist, a long time ago.  You are OK and you will be OK!!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Nevrgivup

Thanks. I am part of a private FB group of the medical volunteers that were there that day. They have helped tremendously. We even went to the memorial together on Monday.  Going back in the city was HUGE for me and I'm so glad I did.

Hillary I would recommend taking part of the Critical Support Team, you should have access via the BAA group or through your work.  Peer support that remains confidential.  Used our local team when I had to deal with a 12 year old that was killed by a motorist, a long time ago.  You are OK and you will be OK!!

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

You were there and saw a lot of crap.  Even being a nurse you saw what only warriors in combat should see and they get stress disorders from it as well.

Take all the time you need to heal and try to move on from it.  But just remember what your screen name is.  NEVER GIVE UP.

100% Agreed:

You were directly involved in the event and aftermath.

Just saw the post, so responding directly to the OP and have not read the other responses yet, but quite simply, no.   The bombing has 0 effect on my will to run, and 0 effect on my desire to run races.   If I ever get into Boston, I would have no concerns, same for NYC and any other big race I plan to do.  (Added:  I have been deployed to Afghanistan, etc, so I am more callous to those kinds of threats...)

Even on the day of the bombing I watched the news for a bit...  After about an hour, I turned it off, put my shoes on, and went outside for a nice run.  ---I suppose everyone is different in how they handle things, but I don't worry much about things I really have no control over.  Bad things can happen any time at almost any place.  No sense in worrying about it.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Hilary,

Stay strong and never give up.  You will race again, in time.  When you have healed enough to race, just think of the people you are going to be able to help down the road by sharing your part of the story.  I've been praying for all the people affected by the bombings, but specifically for you, and have asked the my running group, many of whom are nurses, to pray for you too.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

Nevrgivup

Hilary,

Stay strong and never give up.  You will race again, in time.  When you have healed enough to race, just think of the people you are going to be able to help down the road by sharing your part of the story.  I've been praying for all the people affected by the bombings, but specifically for you, and have asked the my running group, many of whom are nurses, to pray for you too.

This is so sweet. Thanks so much!! I will race again. I'm giving myself a break and just enjoying each run for what it is. I LOVE running more than life itself sometimes. It keeps me grounded. Runners are resilient. That is what I keep saying.

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

i went to a concert wednesday night at a small local place that only holds a couple hundred people. i was standing near a trash can waiting for the show to start, and i had a moment of fear thinking about a bomb being in there.

then i was immediately pissed off at those boston sons of bitches. and myself. it was a totally irrational freakout moment triggered by what they did, and i loathe that they were able to affect me that way.

Nevrgivup

i went to a concert wednesday night at a small local place that only holds a couple hundred people. i was standing near a trash can waiting for the show to start, and i had a moment of fear thinking about a bomb being in there.

then i was immediately pissed off at those boston sons of bitches. and myself. it was a totally irrational freakout moment triggered by what they did, and i loathe that they were able to affect me that way.

I will probably have moments like these for awhile. I can't shelter myself though. I will not let them win. I posted on my FB page that I can't wait to go back to Boston just for pleasure. Its a beautiful city and I need to explore it more.

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

I will probably have moments like these for awhile. I can't shelter myself though. I will not let them win. I posted on my FB page that I can't wait to go back to Boston just for pleasure. Its a beautiful city and I need to explore it more.

i can only imagine what you're coping with. it's messed my head up, and i was 1,400 miles away. i admire your courage.

Nevrgivup

I'm a changed person for sure. Change is not always a bad thing though. Wink

i can only imagine what you're coping with. it's messed my head up, and i was 1,400 miles away. i admire your courage.

camille2

Just wanted to say I'm really sorry you experienced that.  I think your feelings are very normal and agree with others who said give yourself time and do what helps you.  I'm a nurse, too, and would encourage you to participate in any type of debriefings, group things offered if you can. I've been in a couple small disasters-nothing as traumatic as yours-and it helped to talk.

Take care of yourself.

Knit1Run2

Master of Chaos

It is completely normal to have feelings like this.  I was miles away in Newton watching the marathon when the bombings occurred but when I went to the moment of silence a week later I kept moving back from the ground in Government Center because people kept showing up wearing backpacks.  I just couldn't feel comfortable and while it made me upset I had to feel that way, I still did.