Beginners and Beyond

Team RWB (Red White Blue) Memorial Run/Walk for Veteran Suicides (photos) (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Will run tonite after work....get a few miles in around my neighborhood before I go pick up my honey at the airport, returning from a conference she attended in Nashville.

Last night I did a Veteran Suicide Awareness Run/Walk with some of my fellow veterans of San Antonio Chapter of Team RWB (Red White Blue). We go from the VFW on the San Antonio Riverwalk - the oldest VFW Post in Texas - to The Alamo, where we have a brief ceremony and then get a group photo, and then back to the VFW. It's about 2 miles round-trip, but some of us do go back to the VFW on different routes on the way back to get a bit longer in.  I ended up with 2.5 miles.

This is a monthly run Team RWB does on the day of the month that matches the 'statistics' in order to bring awareness to the fact that so many veterans sadly commit suicide - it is estimated that 18 - 22 veterans a day (this includes ALL veterans, not just combat veterans, etc) commit suicide.  For a long time the VA put the number at 22 but recently that number went to 20.   So whatever the number happens to be....that is the day we run/walk - so we did our event this month on the 20th   Once we got there, a number of my team-mates did 20 pushups in memory of those 20 troubled vets a day that sadly take their own lives.

Then it was back to The VFW on the Riverwalk - the oldest VFW Post in Texas, where we had an after-party social evening with some cold beer - which felt pretty good after the run/walk since we started at 6:30 pm and the temp was 96 and the heat index was something like 102! - water, sodas, etc.

A friend of mine did a photo slide show of the event last night...and this is what we try to do each month, never knowing what day it will be on each month, because the statistical number tends to change - but we hope someday it will be ZERO!

I'm in there somewhere in the group photos, wearing my usual gloves, lol, so look for those, you can probably spot me.    In one photo I am talking to a friend, while his doggie is patiently standing beside me waiting for his treat, lol.  Yes, he finally did get his doggie biscuit.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1620985414880995&set=gm.879369632196093&type=3&theater

and    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206545322133650&set=pcb.10206545263172176&type=3&theater

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hopefully someday you won't have to have these run/walks 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)