Beginners and Beyond

WWW.WednesdayPenguins.run (Read 39 times)

Bin Running

Bin, hopefully little ones levels will continue to drop! Did your cough start before the smog, or after it? Could it possibly be some lung damage from that?

After the haze but don't think it's directly responsible.. for the 2 cough episodes, it started with chills and some cold symptom.. I am just weak in term of immunity I guess..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

GinnyinPA

Yikes @ mama Grizzly with at cub!  Scary dangerous.  I don't think I've ever seen a coatimundi other then in the zoo and stuffed one in nature shops.  You had exciting times on the trails.  I've seen one bear ever and 3 thousand deer, turkey, quite a few coyote, and javalina-- but they've never scared me.  Scariest thing I saw on my run was a guy almost pulled a gun on me recently.  He was really embarrassed when he seen it was just me and started making all sorts of apologies.  I run on the road, but on the edge of town, and on trails both Ginny, mostly been on the roads lately because the trails have not been cleaned up since a really heavy, late monsoon season.

The first year I was backpacking, I did an early season trip in the Catalinas (the mountains on the north side of Tucson).  The trail was a mess, with lots of downed branches.  I wasn't going that far, so I did a lot of trailwork as I walked.  (Still do.)  I was very surprised to run into a group of runners who had started at Catalina (on the north side of the mountain range), climbed 8000' to the top of the ridge, then down the trail to a road on the south side of the range.  They were a bloody mess.  I felt very proud of my trail work then, because at least they would be able to run without running into a lot of downed branches.  I couldn't imagine being in the kind of shape to go over the mountain range for a fun run.  Still have a hard time with it, though I know several ultra runners.

Having someone pull a gun on me would definitely scare me.  The grizzlies (seen while backpacking in Alaska and Montana) just excited me, though the mama with cub in Alaska def. got my adrenaline pumping.  I've also had a few too close for comfort encounters with black bears as well.  When they don't run away, it makes me nervous.

Zelanie

Margo- Thanks for the plan update.  I've noticed that you seem to be quietly rocking it this time around!  I'm glad to know your thoughts, as I'm still considering one for my April HM.  But I have been having fun just making things up as  I go along this time, so I'm torn.

Ginny- Amazing story!  Thanks for doing trail work!  A couple of weeks ago, I was out running in some nasty windy rainy stuff, and had to jump over a largish downed branch on the way out.  On the wya back, somebody had already cleared it.  I realized that while I was feeling proud of myself just for getting out there, somebody else was actually taking the time to clear the trail.