Beginners and Beyond

Ten types of people you find at the gym (if you go to one) (Read 114 times)

happylily

At our local gyms, the young guys always wear tight shirts, gold chains, hair styled in a peak holding with gel (when is this damn style ever going to go away?) and blond streaks are favored. They also wear white sneakers that they leave open, I have no idea why.

Young women wear two top layers of complimentary colors (I guess they don't expect to break into a sweat...) and bottoms that are pajama like, with a word on the butt (something like "juicy" or whatever other stupid brand there is out there). The fashionable hair color these days around here seems to be jet black.

We also have older people at our gyms, but these days, nobody wants to admit to their age, so they look the same as the younger crowd. Sad sight...

Everybody looks the same and they all carry their phone and need to look at it every 5 minutes, it seems. Gyms are very interesting social laboratories.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Because my job is in the evening, I'm always in the gym midmorning,  I encounter mostly old people.  So it's more like 'very slow-moving yoga army of old ladies who believe that exercise class is actually a time to vaguely flap arms while chatting.'  (I don't take these classes, but I do pass them by and watch in occasional amusement).

Definitely know the people who can't work equipment.  Because I am a cross between "way too sweaty" and "lives at the gym (even while on crutches)" some of them seem to confuse me with the trainers and come up to ask me how things work.

Then I sweat on them.  I also grunt loudly.  Why is that not in there?  People who grunt loudly.  I am one of them so I can't complain.  I also breathe way too loudly when doing intervals in the pool and scare people.  It's asthma, OK?  I'm not going to NOT do intervals!

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yeah...I'm kind of a combination of #1 and #5, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

So it's more like 'very slow-moving yoga army of old ladies who believe that exercise class is actually a time to vaguely flap arms while chatting.'

Well...as long as they're not changing their Depends in public, let them have their fun... Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I think the members at my park district health club just go to socialize or just to get away from home.