Beginners and Beyond

Race Day Sunday (Read 42 times)

RunningOnSand

16 mile slog in cold, rainy and windy conditions. My feet were soaked a half mile into it. I’m grateful for wool socks today that kept my feet warm despite being wet. I try not to complain about the weather because you never know what race day will be like, so it’s all good experience, but this is the 3rd long run in a row where it was cold and raining. I’m trying really hard to get well, and I’m tired of the cold wet conditions. /rantover

Awesome perspective, KC, and nice miles.

Dave, even with your harder runs you're still putting in great mileage.

HC & Fred, sounds like the weather conditions were super tough!

I did 4.5 on the 'mill watching more Netflix, b/c it's still snowing. We've gotten over a foot; at this rate, I don't think all this snow will ever melt.

Docket_Rocket

Ran 16 with the last 6 from MP to HMP on the TM.

Taper has begun.  Yay.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Coastal

Dave:  Hopefully your taper will rejuvenate you. How are your electrolytes?  I get depleted and just don't have the same get up and go.  Maybe try boosting them and see what happens?

KC Runs -- sounds cold and wet.

Did a heavy leg'hip workout, then got in 6.2 on the TM.  Probably be sore again tomorrow.

April Fools HM Race Report: 

Had a great time in Atlantic City NJ this morning with my friend and training partner Vibe from the Frequent Racer Forum. We decided earlier in the year that this would be our Spring HM. Its April...its gotta be nice out right?  The race start is 8am. Vibe was nice enough to pick me up this am at 5:30 and we made the trip to AC. The forecast was not looking great but I don't think either one of us was prepared what we were getting ourselves into. Picked up our bibs, hit the bathrooms, and did a short warmup with some strides. Met Fred too which was cool. We lined up near the front and at 8am we were on our way. The temperature was not terrible (mid 40s)...cloudy...just about perfect race conditions except for the wind. At the start the wind did not seem terrible. I knew it was at our backs but IMO it really intensified as the race went on. I wore shorts, singlet, and gloves which was just about right. My ankle was acting up a couple days ago and I really had no idea if I was going to have to pull out of the race. Thankfully it didn't give me any trouble. The early miles went well. I went out with a 6:24pace for the first mile. This was my "goal pace"...I normally go out a lot slower but it felt good so I rolled with it. Got chatting with 2 people who were running the same pace. The one in the orange shirt took off. He was a young kid who looked pretty serious. So It was just myself and the other runner. Pretty much even splits the whole way up. Went through the 10k in 39:24 so I was pretty stoked about that. At this point I'm thinking to myself...wow a PR might actually happen today. The 6:24s just felt effortless...Then we turned around...At this point the race went south. It felt like we were running in a wind tunnel. It would literally blow you 2-3' sideways with any gust and almost stop you in your tracks when a gust would hit you head on. This was not fun. My only hope was the buildings possibly shielding us from the wind once we got back to the boardwalk. I know my pace was slowing at this point and never actually checked my splits the whole way back. Ran by effort only. As we approached the boardwalk I told the runner near me "at least we will have some protection from the buildings". As we began to run North on the boardwalk, the wind continued to hammer us. The other runner was about to quit and actually stopped. I quickly offered some words of encouragement and put an end to that quitting nonsense. As I approached mile 10 I started to pull away from the other runner and began shortening the gap between myself and the orange shirt kid. I just focused on him and kept pushing on. I passed him around mile 11 and put a decent distance between us. Came through the finish with 1:26:39 on the clock. 3rd place in my AG and 9th OA.

I think I may have had a PR in me today but not with these conditions. Really just had a good time today...no pressure when you go into a race not obsessing over a great time.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like tough conditions, Jay. Nice job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

2:05:36 in the April Fools Half in Atlantic City, NJ.  20 mph tail wind for the first half.  20 mph head wind for the second half.  When I first made the turnaround, we were running between houses and I thought perhaps the wind would not be too bad.  Then at mile 9 we moved onto the board walk with no shelter from the wind at all.  That was not so much fun.  My splits are not too pretty as a result.  Considering the conditions, I feel good about the result.

Great job Fred. I believe you have a Sub-2 in you with better weather conditions...nothing we could do about that wind. Nice meeting you today.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Coastal

Nice race, Jay.  The weather sounds tough.  Pretty good time, though, considering what coming back into the headwind was like.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Jay, nice placement. There really was nothing you could do with the wind.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Great job Fred. I believe you have a Sub-2 in you with better weather conditions...nothing we could do about that wind. Nice meeting you today.

Good to meet you in person too.  I appreciate your confidence in me.  I'll try again in two weeks when running the half at the NJ Marathon.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28