Beginners and Beyond

2020 Race #3, Hayes Highsteppers Hot Chocolate 5K (Read 11 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

ALL the Photos are at this link below. I i will just put a few into the report below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nhw5ddN2oLoVwG9c8

BEFORE MY START:  My 3rd race of 2020 was the Hays Highstepper Hot Chocolate 5K, held in Buda, Texas on Jan 11th.  There was also a .5 Kids Run/walk.  This event supports the Hays Highstepper varsity dance team of Hays High school. Buda is about an hour’s drive from San Antonio, so was up early for my oatmeal breakfast and then hit the road, arriving about 40 minutes before the 8 a.m. 5K start.  Got registered and got my packet and then got a few pre-start photos.   My long-time running friend, Bernadette, was supposed to do this one too, but her sore knee finally came to the point where it gave out, so she passed on this one, so no photos with her. Felt weird not seeing her at an event, as we do a lot of the same races over the year.  Heal well and speedily, my friend.   As you can see from the photos, lots of people are bundled up.  When I left San Antonio, it was 54 degrees and pretty pleasant.  After driving across what I call the Invisible Weather Line at San Marcos and the Hays County line, I watched my vehicle’s outside temp indicator drop like a stone from 54 to 43.  In the winter, it is always colder after that Hays County line as you move north toward Austin. Also, the wind was blowing like crazy in Buda, making it feel even colder.  43 may not feel cold “real winter” people in places like Minnesota, Michigan, etc., but for we South Texans – considering our temp the day before was in the 70s – really feel that weather when the temp drops 30 degrees.

Welcome to the event

photo IMG_3135_zpsk4m0npdy.jpg

Clowning around with a selfie in the restroom mirror

photo IMG_3139_zpszxhznjgo.jpg

Primarily did this event to see my friend Joe and his wonder dog Yeti, who have been visiting for a while, but will now be heading home back east.   Joe lived in Texas for quite a while but relocated to be nearer family back East. He, Yeti, and I became great pals during his time in Texas.  Also with good friend Jill.

photo IMG_3140_zps5zzouhcf.jpg

Getting ready to start.  Small event, about 162 finishers.

photo IMG_3141_zpsdxh822xb.jpg

This is a dog friendly event.  I quickly ran out of treats, lol.

photo IMG_3142_zpsw2xjeexv.jpg

photo IMG_3143_zpsdxfhumjw.jpg

Friends Joe and Yeti walked the event, since Joe recently had a hip replacement

photo IMG_3144_zpszgyiq1na.jpg

ON THE COURSE:   This is a fairly small event, but a fun one, with 162 finishers.  A really nice course, laid out with NO hills thankfully – and around this area there are plenty of hills – going through a really nice neighborhood called Whispering Hollow, if I remember correctly,  and the start-and-finish was at Whispering Hollow Pool and Pavilion.  Nice wide streets, and all the housing gave us a nice windbreak for most of the way of the course. It was quite pleasant in the subdivision we went through.  I figured I would feel a bit warmer after I got started, so laid my long-sleeve shirt aside to use for post-race, and then ran in my short-sleeved shirt, and I did feel comfortable the whole way.  I did my usual 8-min run/2 minute walk thing – have to take walk breaks because of my arthritis – and took photos during my walk breaks.  I actually stopped a couple of times too during my running segments to get a couple more photos.  I ended up with a chip time of 36:19, 4th in my 60 – 69 males age group.

Mainly done in the Whispering Hollow subdivision. Wide streets,  polite and safety-conscious drivers, and the housing area gave us a nice wind-break.

photo IMG_3145_zps3peapxha.jpg

For most of the course, I was in proximity with Orange Jacket lady.  I did not catch her, either, she finished before me.

photo IMG_3146_zpsjyjt7k3f.jpg

photo IMG_3147_zpsmovljcct.jpg

Stroller friendly too.  The race even gave an award to the first runner with stroller crossing the finish line.

photo IMG_3150_zpsehuhztjd.jpg

photo IMG_3153_zpszcoscolq.jpg

On-course volunteers

photo IMG_3151_zpstsehe8jd.jpg

photo IMG_3156_zpsmac447et.jpg

After we got out of the housing area, we had to negotiate this part of the course.  Very open and the cold wind was brutal, as we ran right into it, head-on

photo IMG_3157_zpsianevfwa.jpg

photo IMG_3173_zps8gzgxd3r.jpg

After My Finish:   First thing I did was get my long-sleeved shirt back on, that darn wind was really blowing around the start/finish area.  Then enjoyed some post-race water and Chik-Fil-A biscuit from the Chik-Fil-A people there.  Other goodies include some various fruits, nutrition bars, and so forth.  No post-race beer darn the luck.  😉  I then wandered around getting some photos of the happy finishers and their companions/supporters.

Happy finishers.  Here with my friend Ali, who was first woman with a stroller to cross.  She did the course in 21 minutes and something...

photo IMG_3162_zpst8me2n3k.jpg

Local Chik-Fil-A cow was there, with volunteers handing out breakfast sandwiches

photo IMG_3165_zps8kxdxchg.jpg

photo IMG_3166_zpssnhynjvh.jpg

Awards waiting for the winners.   The overall awards winners even got gift cards

photo IMG_3169_zpscwdwdyes.jpg

As stated, dog friendly event.  So friendly, the first 4 dogs across the finish line got awards.

photo IMG_3181_zps1jptmvpz.jpg

photo IMG_3183_zpsoaitf3cn.jpg

The organizers were kind and tried to get through the post-activities pretty quick since the wind was really brutal around the pool area, as you can see from all these folks wrapped up post-race.  We South Texans are not cold-weather people, lol.

photo IMG_3184_zps3rqfpz9u.jpg

EPILOGUE:   This is the first time I’ve done this race but won’t be the last.  Even with that stiff wind, it was very enjoyable.  Pretty nice quality goodie bag with a nicely designed quality tech-tee. Even the goodie bag itself is pretty high quality, very nice durable plastic, waterproof bag with closure. Very nice start/finish location with indoor restroom facilities; and nice for this old arthritic guy to be able to use one of the pool chairs to relax in for a few minutes after the finish.  Very nicely laid out loop course, my favorite kind of course.  Most 5K are out-and-back, which is okay since you get to cheer friends on that you see coming back; but when you are as slow as me, you see those other folks coming toward you on their way back to the finish, you just want to be on that side already, heading back too, lol.  So mentally, a loop course just works for me better.  Yeah, I know, I got no discipline, lol. Anyway, would definitely recommend this one to others and will certainly do it again myself in the future.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Did they have hot chocolate?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yes they did

Did they have hot chocolate?

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

nice report and sounds like a fun race!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

nice report and sounds like a fun race!

Thanks.

Yeah, I plan to do this one again, it was fun.  Hope it warms up just a tad next year, though.  if not, then maybe at least the wind can blow a bit less.